• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the New Atheism Movement a Failed Crisis Cult

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
However, you can watch any video of Theists such as Dr Craig, Lennox etc, and you never see them trying to create hate and destruction, nor do they attack on others "person" as people like Dawkins and Krauss does.
They try to promote love and forgiveness.
Yet, Theists are the "evil" ones.

I don't know about videos by Dr. Craig, Lennox, etc., but I live in a town that is sometimes called, "The Jerusalem of the Rockies", because of the hundreds of thousands of Evangelical Christians who have been flocking here since 1982 or so. And they've brought their share of hatred to this town. So I'm not inclined to believe it's all saints on one side, and all sinners on the other.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
That's some pretty intense cherry picking. In one breath, you act as if theists have never promoted hatred against various groups of people based upon their religious beliefs, and as if Dawkins et al are representative of the entire group of atheists or as if attacking is all that they do.

never said a word of that...
Why do people here constantly put words in other people mouths? :facepalm:

I don't know about videos by Dr. Craig, Lennox, etc., but I live in a town that is sometimes called, "The Jerusalem of the Rockies", because of the hundreds of thousands of Evangelical Christians who have been flocking here since 1982 or so. And they've brought their share of hatred to this town. So I'm not inclined to believe it's all saints on one side, and all sinners on the other.

Just a little about myself, I truly believe in God, but will most likely never attend any church, any time soon.
I have had my fill of all the huge double standards and complete lack of following the very words they preach.

However, I was referring to the popular atheist/theist debates and such.
Completely different subjects.

@ImmortalFlame
I have presented a ton of videos of Dawkins behaviors and motives already and proved my case and why I feel as I do about him.
You keep defending him and have yet to provide anything for your side of the argument.
If I am wrong, you need to provide something other than empty "you are wrong" types of rebuttals. :yes:

Last edited:

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
What was your point then, if not "theists are so nice, unlike those mean atheists"?

I was comparing people like dawkins, to people like Dr Craig in their debates, attitudes towards their opposites and the motives of dawkins and the hate he has and is continually creating.

Why are you taking this so personal and felt the need to put words in my mouth and still are doing it?

If one brings up the screwed up behaviors of the likes of the WBC, I don't take that personal. ;)
Nor do I try to twist what they is said about them into what it is not as you are dong with me.

back this up a min...
do you feel what dawkins represents is a good thing and he is actually not creating hate?
A few here keep defending him, yet have not even tried to explain how the following video is a good thing to do to other classes of ppl.
I bet if it were a Theist telling his followers to mock gays or forbid, atheists....
I wonder just how well that would go over with those here defending dawkins.

[youtube]51rR4aC9aMg[/youtube]

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I have presented a ton of videos of Dawkins behaviors and motives already and proved my case and why I feel as I do about him.
And not a single one of them supports your notion that he is some sort of hate-mongering supervillain who is entirely concerned with power and money. That's ridiculous.

You keep defending him and have yet to provide anything for your side of the argument.
Actually, yes I did. You asked me to provide instances of him saying nice things about the religious, and I provided you with quotes. I also provided you with a very respectful and polite discussion he had with the Bishop of Oxford, which somewhat destroyed your notion of him being a disrespectful jerk.

If I am wrong, you need to provide something other than empty "you are wrong" types of rebuttals. :yes:
Ignoring for the moment that I do, I doubt they'd do any good if you're already completely and insanely convinced that Dawkins is as evil as you say he is. You are also avoiding the point about your own ludicrous hyporcisy in demonizing a man in such a manner, and then deriding someone for "hate-filled speech". It's agonizingly hypocritical.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
There are plenty of good atheists, the leaders of the new atheist movement definitely do not appear to be among them IMHO.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Was the New Atheism Movement a Failed Crisis Cult?

It is sure to fail. In the West, unknowingly, it is preparing ground for Islam to spread in the West, peacefully.
Regards

Milton Platt

Before everyone thinks I am calling atheism a religion, I am not. I am asking a specific movement that is identified with atheism...the New Atheism.

First a crisis cult is a term coined by anthropologist Weston La Barre, in his terminology a crisis cult is a group that is created in reaction to a perceived crisis. They spring up when people feel that the social norms are no longer working but absolutely failing, when a perceived threat is imminent or as a reaction to extreme incidences of violence. Much like the Ghost Dance cult movement that rose up during the 1890's in reaction complete collapse of Native American civilization and autonomy.

The New Atheism came into being after the events of 9/11, many within this movement have said that it was rising Muslim terrorism that sealed it for them and they felt that Islam in particular and religion in general was responsible for a majority of the worlds woes. Religion was not only to blame for violence but also blamed for keeping scientific progress at bay thus hindering humankind from advancing.

Like many crisis cults, the New Atheism demonizies and scapegoats the Other, feels persecuted, feels they alone have the truth and the only right way to live and believe and they offer an utopian vision of the future.

All these things are indicative of a crisis cult.

So what do you think? Could the New Atheist movement been some sort of crisis cult?

I've been an atheist for 65 years. Does that make me an old atheist or a new atheist?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Prior to my post, this whole thread is over a year old, April 2014.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Are you not confusing religion with religious people?
Yes you are 'assuming' that religion is /false/, basically. That's an issue, your never going to convince people who really believe in the faiths, etc. It's sort of a pointless distinction, as is pointless, to generalize all religions into ''religion''.

Milton Platt

If it's "the Jerusalem of the Rockies", it would have had to be Jews flocking to your town, LOL But I get your point.

Noa

To the OP: no, it is not a cult. It was just a bunch of folks that realized there was a market for a certain type of book and speech. They were lucky enough to have someone like Hitchens to lead the way.

Milton Platt

Didn't say that and wasn't referencing Dawkins

There is nothing new about atheism. Christians were considered atheists by the Romans. I do not know what "new atheism" even means and I have been an atheist for 65 years. It seems to be a media label, nothing more. There is no group of atheists that are "new atheists" except maybe those who just became atheist.

Noa

There is nothing new about atheism. Christians were considered atheists by the Romans. I do not know what "new atheism" even means and I have been an atheist for 65 years. It seems to be a media label, nothing more. There is no group of atheists that are "new atheists" except maybe those who just became atheist.

Actually, there was a subset of newly popular atheists that started giving themselves nicknames and considering themselves a 'group'. It did not last long.

Milton Platt

Actually, there was a subset of newly popular atheists that started giving themselves nicknames and considering themselves a 'group'. It did not last long.
Found this:
The term began getting attention in the early '00s as a pejorative label used by theists and agnostics for outspoken atheists. Critics assumed new atheism was a sort of fad or that it was arrived at through ill-reasoned, irrational, or unsound means.

Though atheists considered new atheists at first resisted the term, eventually some of those atheists grudgingly accepted the term as a convenient label for atheists such as themselves who take part in openly refuting, mocking, and answering contemporary challenges to humane treatment of people presented by religions and to threats to justice, equality, democracy, free speech, and secularism in the world as posed by theism. So it is that the term New Atheistsgenerally encompasses atheists who have a gauche predilection for stating in public that they are, in fact, atheists, and worse, arguing publicly for their point of view, and worse still, drawing large audiences in doing so whether that be on a website, a blog, a podcast or through a book, news media appearances, or video productions. The term New Atheist is somewhat unevenly embraced by those so described.

Also:
The traditionally pointed to origin of this label for atheists is an October 22, 2006 article in Wired magazine by Gary Wolf currently titled "The Church of the Non-Believers" (originally titled "Battle of the New Atheism" according to theRichard Dawkins website, and likewise discussed under that title on Pharyngula) that explicitly mentions Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Daniel Dennett as the prototypical New Atheists. However, the exact origins of the label itself are murky as are the connections between people using the term pejoratively. Indeed, the labelling of prominent contemporary atheists as new appears to be a perennial theme amongst atheism's critics, pushing one atheist, Luke Muehlhauser of Common Sense Atheism to go so far as to label this the second New Atheism as opposed to the firstNew Atheism of the '70s and '80s. In fact, other incidents where a person used the term New Atheism or New Atheist that predate Gary Wolf's Wired article are:

So basically an externally imposed label.