• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was there almost another shooting in El Paso on Wednesday?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/el...for-lurking-outside-migrant-community-center/

An armed supporter of President Donald Trump and Republican Senator Ted Cruz was detained by police Wednesday outside a migrant community center in El Paso,
“He was sitting in his truck wearing blue latex gloves, and brandishing a knife. Police recovered a loaded gun, ammo, and a bag of white powder from his person,”
An eyewitness saw him brandishing a gun and attempting to enter our building, women were fleeing down the street, warning neighbors as they ran away. We watched officers removing clips of ammo from his person,” the shelter wrote.

“One officer acknowledged that if they had not arrived when they did, Thomas was likely to have committed acts which would be ‘a different situation’. They released him shortly after,

It seems this was a close call. But this guy, and guys like him are still out there. Has El Paso become a target!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It's outrageous that they released him! Sounds like at least a menacing charge!
Yup. On the BBC is an article about a Missourian bunghole who showed up to a Walmart, to "test their acceptance of his second amendment right", wearing body armor and carrying a handgun and "AR-style" gun. He was arrested and is facing charges of making a terrorist threat and presenting in a manor that would reasonably cause panic.
Walmart panic caused by gun rights 'test'

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yup. On the BBC is an article about a Missourian bunghole who showed up to a Walmart, to "test their acceptance of his second amendment right", wearing body armor and carrying a handgun and "AR-style" gun. He was arrested and is facing some very serious charges.
Right. I know about that one. These people are crazy. No one has any business brandishing assault rifles in public.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Yup. On the BBC is an article about a Missourian bunghole who showed up to a Walmart, to "test their acceptance of his second amendment right", wearing body armor and carrying a handgun and "AR-style" gun. He was arrested and is facing charges of making a terrorist threat and presenting in a manor that would reasonably cause panic.
I heard about that incident as well.

I wonder what would have happened if someone got hurt just running away from these idiots, or even killed. It could happen in a panicked stampede, falling down stairs or a heart attack or something like that. Sounds like depraved indifference to human life to me.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
El Paso ‘on edge’ after armed Trump supporter detained for lurking outside migrant community center

It seems this was a close call. But this guy, and guys like him are still out there. Has El Paso become a target!
Hooray for the good guys with guns stopping this Muslim Jihadist before he could hurt anyone!

What's that? It was the police, and he was Trump supporter? Oh. Just another isolated incident of mental illness from which no larger implications may be drawn.

Shadow Wolf

Sounds like depraved indifference to human life to me.
In the case of the Walmart guy, I don't think he's depraved or indifferent (he probably wouldn't have cooperated with police if he was), but rather just incredibly stupid. A stereotypical young, dumb male who has a point to prove and doesn't really think of the consequences or how his actions may affect others. Of course not all 20 year olds are so reckless, but it's a reason why I say we shouldn't grant adulthood until 25, because this guy's brain literally isn't fully developed and it can be harder to fully think something through (I also think charging him with terrorism is too harsh, as it's evident by his not shooting that he's not a terrorist).

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
In the case of the Walmart guy, I don't think he's depraved or indifferent (he probably wouldn't have cooperated with police if he was), but rather just incredibly stupid. A stereotypical young, dumb male who has a point to prove and doesn't really think of the consequences or how his actions may affect others. Of course not all 20 year olds are so reckless, but it's a reason why I say we shouldn't grant adulthood until 25, because this guy's brain literally isn't fully developed and it can be harder to fully think something through (I also think charging him with terrorism is too harsh, as it's evident by his not shooting that he's not a terrorist).
This guy wanted to cause panic and chaos. Panic was both foreseeable and intended. If that panic resulted in injuries (I have heard no report that it did), he should be held accountable. And what if there had been a “good guy with a gun” at that Walmart?

This could have gone so very bad in so many foreseeable ways.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
If he's that stupid, he shouldn't have guns at all. Youth indiscretions usually don't involve brandishing loaded assault rifles in grocery stores. A 21 year old is quite equipped to know what the possible consequences of that are and how it might terrify people. This is something else. No one should have to risk being traumatized, wounded or killed because some dumb guy wants to prove a point. If you can't handle firearms responsibly, you have no business having them. If you intimidate the public with them, there should be criminal charges for it.

dianaiad

Hooray for the good guys with guns stopping this Muslim Jihadist before he could hurt anyone!

What's that? It was the police, and he was Trump supporter? Oh. Just another isolated incident of mental illness from which no larger implications may be drawn.

Do you have THAT one the wrong way around.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Chicago murders deflection card.

We can do Los Angeles too, around 14 murders in the last 30 days or so, mostly black and Latino, not all were by firearm.
It's not deflection, it's pointing out that people seem to get sidetracked by the headlines while the daily meat grinder keeps churning. I hate to point the finger at democrats and anti-gunners because this is a non-partisan issue but black lives seem to only matter when their deaths pad statistics to support their goals.

Shadow Wolf

This guy wanted to cause panic and chaos.
Nah. Just seems like he's a reckless idiot.
A 21 year old is quite equipped to know what the possible consequences of that are and how it might terrify people.
His brain literally isn't finished developing, and he has an immature prefrontal cortex. Having a mature one makes it fair easier to understand and "see" such things before you do them.
This could have gone so very bad in so many foreseeable ways.
True, but that doesn't mean he's depraved or a terrorist. Incredibly stupid and exceedingly reckless, there is no denying that.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
His brain literally isn't finished developing, and he has an immature prefrontal cortex. Having a mature one makes it fair easier to understand and "see" such things before you do them.
I don't buy that as an excuse. This is not "kids being kids". I certainly knew better at that age. Like I said, if he is that irresponsible, he has no business owning a firearm. He violated basic firearm safety. The guy is either a total idiot or malicious. A 21 year old is not a child, even if parts of their brain aren't fully mature. Even a child who has been trained in firearms safety would know better.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
We can do Los Angeles too, around 14 murders in the last 30 days or so, mostly black and Latino, not all were by firearm.
It's not deflection, it's pointing out that people seem to get sidetracked by the headlines while the daily meat grinder keeps churning. I hate to point the finger at democrats and anti-gunners because this is a non-partisan issue but black lives seem to only matter when their deaths pad statistics to support their goals.

whataboutism.jpg