• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was there almost another shooting in El Paso on Wednesday?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't buy that as an excuse.
It's a biological fact. Our prefrontal cortex doesn't reach maturation until around our mid 20s. Even his family told him he's an idiot. And of course not all children or 20-year-olds behave that way, but it is definitely a general trend for teens and emerging adults to behave recklessly without proper or thorough consideration of the full consequences, because their prefrontal cortex is not fully developed yet.
And I agree this reckless behavior should disqualify him from being able to own any firearms, at least for several years and there is reasonable cause to believe he isn't behaving so recklessly anymore.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
What is there to say? Someone made a very poor decision, considering recent events the guy is lucky he wasn't shot or at least assaulted. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, besides if the court follows through with the charges you won't have to worry about him legally owning firearms anymore.
The fact the second was released without charges speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Using Chicago murders deflection card again huh?

The whataboutisms are getting old and redundant.
Is it is vice versa? Is focusing only on talking about one incident in El Paso a deflection from talking about the others? There are many more murders in Chicago, and other cities, than in El Paso. Are the victims in El Paso more deserving of consideration than the victims in Chicago? Shouldn’t we talk about all murder victims?

Last weekend there were more murdered people in Baltimore. Would talking about them be okay?
Seven shootings reported this weekend in Baltimore amid ceasefire call

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's a biological fact. Our prefrontal cortex doesn't reach maturation until around our mid 20s. Even his family told him he's an idiot. And of course not all children or 20-year-olds behave that way, but it is definitely a general trend for teens and emerging adults to behave recklessly without proper or thorough consideration of the full consequences, because their prefrontal cortex is not fully developed yet.
And I agree this reckless behavior should disqualify him from being able to own any firearms, at least for several years and there is reasonable cause to believe he isn't behaving so recklessly anymore.
I know what the research says. It may have some unintended consequences like criminals under 25 using it as an argument for leniency. The real question is is the brain of most people mature enough to generally make basically decent decisions before 25. I think so. I think it's reasonable to assume most people his age would know better than to do such a thing, leaving him with not much of an excuse.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I know what the research says. It may have some unintended consequences like criminals under 25 using it as an argument for leniency. The real question is is the brain of most people mature enough to generally make basically decent decisions before 25. I think so. I think it's reasonable to assume most people his age would know better than to do such a thing, leaving him with not much of an excuse.
They still punish the criminally insane even though the show a degree of leniency. The key is understanding and comprehending the consequences of your actions. This dummy clearly didn't. He acted recklessly and without thought or consideration, but he didn't act with malicious intent and clearly did not understand that he would frighten people. By all available indications, he thought the worst that would happen is he would be told to leave, or "his rights not honored and respected." It's still along the lines of "screaming fire in a crowded theater," but it's definitely not terrorism. He was criminally reckless and irresponsible, but not depraved.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Still avoiding the very real issues, I can't pluck the splinter from your eye if you keep it closed.

No, you're deflecting. It's prototypical right wing debate tactics you so-called liberal. We can talk about right wing white supremacists terrorism but hey Chicago is always a crutch to mention like I said deflection a bogus attempt at debating which makes it just unnecessary.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Is it is vice versa? Is focusing only on talking about one incident in El Paso a deflection from talking about the others? There are many more murders in Chicago, and other cities, than in El Paso. Are the victims in El Paso more deserving of consideration than the victims in Chicago? Shouldn’t we talk about all murder victims?

Last weekend there were more murdered people in Baltimore. Would talking about them be okay?
Seven shootings reported this weekend in Baltimore amid ceasefire call

Look, nobody on religious forums except me care about gang warfare. Not since the early 70's 80's and 90's and not now. What I do know is mentioning shootings in urban areas are usually go to right wing talking points to deflect from issues that are important.

Tucker Carlson for instance said white supremacy or white nationalism isn't an issue but we just had a guy kill over 20 people and recently we had a guy in Vegas arrested for plotting on Jews and LGBTQ.

But of course when we mention about violence of this caliber the go to argument is well look at Chicago or Baltimore or Los Angeles as if you care about gun violence. You don't. You save face and deflect from the facts at hand.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's outrageous that they released him! Sounds like at least a menacing charge!
I would suppose that would depend if he had his weapons unholstered or unstrapped.

Still, I agree, giving the sensitivity of recent tragedies, his decision to test 2nd Amendment rights was undoubtedly a very stupid and insensitive move on his part.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
No, you're deflecting. It's prototypical right wing debate tactics you so-called liberal. We can talk about right wing white supremacists terrorism but hey Chicago is always a crutch to mention like I said deflection a bogus attempt at debating which makes it just unnecessary.

Actually I used L.A., your hometown correct? I've already addressed the op in post #24, I see nothing to debate.
And what about the Garden Grove stabbing spree that left 4 dead and two wounded? I guess it's not politically convenient to highlight such a story with all these other things going on.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
El Paso ‘on edge’ after armed Trump supporter detained for lurking outside migrant community center

It seems this was a close call. But this guy, and guys like him are still out there. Has El Paso become a target!
"Progressive Journalism", they say, eh.
I question the reporting.
1) "Clips" are highly unlikely to feed any weapon he was likely carrying.
The term is most often used by those with no knowledge of what they
are, mistaking them for magazines.
2) If he really thought he posed a danger, they wouldn't likely have
released him.
3) It could be a big nothing burger & over-reaction, since many carry
guns in Texas.
4) The article makes a big deal of who the guy with the gun supports.
Perhaps that is the real point.

With fears & emotions running high, will every little such encounter
be an "almost shooting"? Such articles are psyching already twitchy
people up for even more stress.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Actually I used L.A., your hometown correct? I've already addressed the op in post #24, I see nothing to debate.
And what about the Garden Grove stabbing spree that left 4 dead and two wounded? I guess it's not politically convenient to highlight such a story with all these other things going on.

L.A. and Chicago has nothing to do with the subject matter. Let me help you out. If I'm discussing a deadly bacteria that affects a certain group of mice then you jump in and talk about a specific virus that affects rats your mentioning of rats detracts from the subject matter I'm bringing up.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
L.A. and Chicago has nothing to do with the subject matter. Let me help you out. If I'm discussing a deadly bacteria that affects a certain group of mice then you jump in and talk about a specific virus that affects rats your mentioning of rats detracts from the subject matter I'm bringing up.

Post #24
What is there to say? Someone made a very poor decision, considering recent events the guy is lucky he wasn't shot or at least assaulted. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, besides if the court follows through with the charges you won't have to worry about him legally owning firearms anymore.
The fact the second was released without charges speaks volumes.

Much of the media are treating Trump much like a lynch mob treated Emmet Till years ago:

Except in Trumps case it is a metaphysical lynching since they can't get away with an actual one in broad daylight, be thankful they can't anymore for all of our sakes.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Wow, look at that beat up pickup truck. Reminds me of the Trump bomber. That is severe mental illness to do that to your vehicle.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Is it is vice versa? Is focusing only on talking about one incident in El Paso a deflection from talking about the others?
Yes, it's a deflection. For one, Chicago murders are gang related and not done with assault rifles.
Chicago aren't terror attacks in Walmart/Church/School, etc like the mass shootings carried out by radical right wingers.