• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wasted Food

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not quite.

Honor is a quality related to the experience of empathy, developed in humans due to our reliance on community and social relations. It is an experience rooted in biological processes.

None of what you have described in your previous post is related to empathy.

So to dismiss the human practice of raising life for the sole purpose of using it for our own nutritional needs and wants (a cheap and fast McBurger isn't necessary), then simply throwing it away for convenience or profit is completely dismissive of the experiences of the living things we are industrially raising and slaughtering. It is dismissive of our natural capacity towards empathy and thus immoral. It dishonors life because we dismiss it a valued.

Where is the empathy in raising animals to eat them when doing so is unnecessary for our survival? And even if it were necessary, where is the empathy in killing something else for our own selfish benefit?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When you prepare a meal, what do you do with leftovers...both unserved food or any food remaining on your plate?

In a restaurant, if you can't finished the portion served to you, do you leave it behind or take it home in a "doggie bag" and eat it later?

For me, personally, I find it unsettling to see food wasted knowing there are those less fortunate than me that go hungry. In my personal life, I always prepare individual portions that I know I can finish in one sitting, unless I plan to cook a batch of something, in which case, I freeze it for future meals. Bread that begins to turn gets thrown over the fence for the birds and other animals in the thicket.

When dining out (usually at a Chinese buffet my daughter enjoys) my plate is always picked up clean. My daughter has largely picked up on these values as well, but my granddaughter is still the finicky eater, and my daughter will put a variety of things on her plate, much of which won't be eaten (save the food my daughter scavenges when she's done). I find it unsettling when this happens or when I see anyone else taking more food than they can eat and leaving it on their plate.

It would also bother me to see food discarded in a commercial setting. The QSR chain I managed for years wasted on average of 1% of the food they purchased due to over-preparation. It unnerved me to the point where my district typically ran the lowest waste numbers in the company.

This is why I have an admiration for businesses like Panera Bread, who donate any non-perishable food left over at the end of the day to the homeless. Unfortunately, the business I managed served perishable food that would have presented a food safety concern had it been donated.

I thought of this today as I rinsed my porridge bowl this morning and watched the residue from the side of the bowl get rinsed down the sink and wondered how much residue over time would have made a full meal for someone who goes without.

How concerned are you about the food you waste (if any)?
I loathe waste.
I am a "clean plate cowboy".
Except when I save excess portions for leftovers.
(As I've aged, I find I must eat less than I once could.)

A useful tip.....
Last nite's leftover haggis is great in an omlette.
Put a wee bit'o habenero sauce on it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
When you prepare a meal, what do you do with leftovers...both unserved food or any food remaining on your plate?

In a restaurant, if you can't finished the portion served to you, do you leave it behind or take it home in a "doggie bag" and eat it later?

For me, personally, I find it unsettling to see food wasted knowing there are those less fortunate than me that go hungry. In my personal life, I always prepare individual portions that I know I can finish in one sitting, unless I plan to cook a batch of something, in which case, I freeze it for future meals. Bread that begins to turn gets thrown over the fence for the birds and other animals in the thicket.

When dining out (usually at a Chinese buffet my daughter enjoys) my plate is always picked up clean. My daughter has largely picked up on these values as well, but my granddaughter is still the finicky eater, and my daughter will put a variety of things on her plate, much of which won't be eaten (save the food my daughter scavenges when she's done). I find it unsettling when this happens or when I see anyone else taking more food than they can eat and leaving it on their plate.

It would also bother me to see food discarded in a commercial setting. The QSR chain I managed for years wasted on average of 1% of the food they purchased due to over-preparation. It unnerved me to the point where my district typically ran the lowest waste numbers in the company.

This is why I have an admiration for businesses like Panera Bread, who donate any non-perishable food left over at the end of the day to the homeless. Unfortunately, the business I managed served perishable food that would have presented a food safety concern had it been donated.

I thought of this today as I rinsed my porridge bowl this morning and watched the residue from the side of the bowl get rinsed down the sink and wondered how much residue over time would have made a full meal for someone who goes without.

Nowadays, I either pack any leftovers and give them to a person in need (and there are many in need where I live, sadly) or, depending on what the leftovers are, save them for a stray cat or dog.

I think throwing away good (i.e., not spoiled) food, especially when large corporations and restaurant chains do it on a major scale, is one of the most lamentable aspects of today's excessive consumerism.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I actually think about it a lot, and feel great conflict.

I'm expected to make a meal daily. It often gets wasted. The picky little guy won't eat it. My middle son has some issues with his food due to some meds he's on, and won't eat it. My oldest makes his own food. My husband eats a little bit, but can't admit to himself that at this point in life he only eats veggie burgers, frozen pizza, and baked eggs(and all have to be burnt). (His inability to admit this to himself is what leads him to nag for a meal he won't eat much of.)

So then I'm left with a pot/tray/bowl of food that is too much for me to eat. I can gorge myself. Not a good idea. I can feed it to the pets. Sometimes that's okay, depending on what it is. Sometimes its not okay. I used to leave it out for neighborhood wildlife, but they don't come anymore(probably due to the dogs). Sometimes I say to hell with this and stop making the daily meal, but then I eventually get nagged into it again...

Vegetable/fruit trimmings are easier, though. One of the dogs got onto the nature side of the yard and dug a big hole. I put all the vegetable pieces that can't be used in the hole. Back to Maa Earth they go.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think throwing away good (i.e., not spoiled) food, especially when large corporations and restaurant chains do it on a major scale, is one of the most lamentable aspects of today's excessive consumerism.
One reason such food is thrown away is government regulation.
It's even a crime here to feed the homeless in some places.
So let's not give big evil faceless corporations all the blame, eh.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
At the moment, given I am on ready-meals mostly, I will leave an amount not eaten because I do want to lose a few pounds - apart from a few such and which will be gobbled down since they are quite nice. When I did cook for myself I usually could judge amounts and hence hardly ever had any waste and I hope such happens again if and when I do take up cooking again. But I do often buy stuff and not eat it before it goes off so I am guilty there - mostly being bread or fruit. I bought a box of frozen gateaux slices the other day and forgot I had them for several days. :oops:

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Wow. That's a true skill!

I could never forget about cakes in the house...
I have a chest freezer and use this mostly such that the freezer portion of the fridge is usually empty, but large enough to fit the cake box, hence why I forgot. Still a few not eaten as of now. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I actually think about it a lot, and feel great conflict.

I'm expected to make a meal daily. It often gets wasted. The picky little guy won't eat it. My middle son has some issues with his food due to some meds he's on, and won't eat it. My oldest makes his own food. My husband eats a little bit, but can't admit to himself that at this point in life he only eats veggie burgers, frozen pizza, and baked eggs(and all have to be burnt). (His inability to admit this to himself is what leads him to nag for a meal he won't eat much of.)

So then I'm left with a pot/tray/bowl of food that is too much for me to eat. I can gorge myself. Not a good idea. I can feed it to the pets. Sometimes that's okay, depending on what it is. Sometimes its not okay. I used to leave it out for neighborhood wildlife, but they don't come anymore(probably due to the dogs). Sometimes I say to hell with this and stop making the daily meal, but then I eventually get nagged into it again...

Vegetable/fruit trimmings are easier, though. One of the dogs got onto the nature side of the yard and dug a big hole. I put all the vegetable pieces that can't be used in the hole. Back to Maa Earth they go.
Is there a part of your life that isn't complicated? :emojconfused:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a part of your life that isn't complicated? :emojconfused:
Well, yes, when we go outside... nope. That brings issues...

The washer and dryer... no. Damned thing doesn't always spin out...

The toilet works... nah. Not all the time. Clogs easily(did someone flush something not waste related at some point?) and the flap in the back sticks sometimes...

Nope. I guess not. :(

Alien826

No religious beliefs
My partner is a parsimonious Frenchwoman who absolutely abhors waste. Plus both of us were brought up - her in France, me in England - by people who had lived through WWII when food was scarce. So not much gets thrown away in our house.

Sounds like my mother. The problem was that she would insist that everything she cooked was eaten when first served. So very often we were forcing food down when we didn't want any more of it. My current SO does most of the cooking and always cooks more than we need for the current meal. But that's deliberate, as the idea is to have two meals from one food preparation, and that largely works.

To the original question, I'd ask how whatever it is we do actually benefits the hungry people we feel sorry for. If I don't eat everything on my plate, what mechanism exists to convey that food to hungry people? I'd say the answer is to contribute cash to organizations that feed the hungry, and if we need to buy a little less food for ourselves, then so be it.