• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are all one

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you don't see how 'All is one' makes sense fine. I have tried it already and am happy with it. Of course I'm describing my own viewpoint, not anyone else's.
That goes without saying. Also you can't avoid design in everything. You simply see? What? I think you are missing something in your own statements.
You are the one missing my comments, friend. I began writing about Oneness because on the surface it does make sense. It's when you get down into the details that it tends to come apart. I have been thinking on the subject for three decades so don't dismiss what I am saying quite so quickly. What I have discovered, so far, is that views of Oneness are first and foremost, a projection onto reality. In effect, they are is forcing reality to conform to an intellectual model. My point is, that is not actually telling us about reality, but rather only about what we think about reality. There is a rather important difference.

Besides, I am still writing it, so I have not given up on the idea completely, it has just gone in rather unexpected directions. Try it. You WILL see what I mean.

Spiritone

This is a very earth-human-centric point of view... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's only a comment that you cannot make that comment and also hold a universe-centric view.

Of course I can and did.
I said, there is balance, meaning in the known universe and in our solar system and balance and design in our natural Earth. Volcanos Storms etc are part of the overall balance for millions of years.

[/quote] To each their own, if it makes you happy and doesn't really hurt anyone. :)[/QUOTE]

What does that mean? besides being condescending....:confused:

Last edited:

Spiritone

"All is one" is the embrace that smothers, nothing is special if all is one, nothing is evil bif all is one, nothing is good if all is one. If all is one then what matters?

I am not one with the wasps that attack me every year, I am not one with a tsunami and I am not one with with the noxious gasses on Venus.

There are those who disrupt the All is One process and that is the problem. In it's practiced process it makes for harmony.

Spiritone

You are the one missing my comments, friend. I began writing about Oneness because on the surface it does make sense. It's when you get down into the details that it tends to come apart. I have been thinking on the subject for three decades so don't dismiss what I am saying quite so quickly. What I have discovered, so far, is that views of Oneness are first and foremost, a projection onto reality. In effect, they are is forcing reality to conform to an intellectual model. My point is, that is not actually telling us about reality, but rather only about what we think about reality. There is a rather important difference.

Besides, I am still writing it, so I have not given up on the idea completely, it has just gone in rather unexpected directions. Try it. You WILL see what I mean.

Welcome to the club---I also have been studying and searching for many decades and do not insist on anyone or any religion being right or wrong.
You are asking me to try it. Whatever it is i still don't know. I think you're assuming something that is not implied by me.

Oneness (in my view) is a principle like a religion, sort of, and exists when people live it and is derailed when broken like a religious principle. It makes for unity and harmony. I live it to the best of my ability.

To each their own, if it makes you happy and doesn't really hurt anyone. :)

What does that mean? besides being condescending....:confused:

Didn't mean it to come off that way - didn't you see the smiley at the end? ;) We have a fundamental difference of opinion - you see that everything requires a creator, and I do not - but it's not the kind of difference that "makes" any difference. That's all I meant - to each their own!

Spiritone

Didn't mean it to come off that way - didn't you see the smiley at the end? ;) We have a fundamental difference of opinion - you see that everything requires a creator, and I do not - but it's not the kind of difference that "makes" any difference. That's all I meant - to each their own!

Sorry I misunderstood. It's not possible for us to know how everything came into existence. I have come to not rely totally on religious teachings but know there have been spiritual leaders that seemed to know more than we do (like Jesus).
I'm sure we will change in time because of discoveries and probably more direction from sources beyond our current understanding.

Spiritone

Sorry I misunderstood. It's not possible for us to know how everything came into existence. I have come to not rely totally on religious teachings but know there have been spiritual leaders that seemed to know more than we do (like Jesus).
I'm sure we will change in time because of discoveries and probably more direction from sources beyond our current understanding.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
There are those who disrupt the All is One process and that is the problem. In it's practiced process it makes for harmony.

So i've read but why shouldn't they if they are not conviced of the validity of the benefits of the theory? I as a Christian have very definite beleifs about right and wrong, good and evil. Making distinctions is vital to my well being as a person and to the happiness of my soul. I must distinguish between food and poison, my body certainly does not think that all is one. Some foods will harm me and some will benefit me, the same goes for theories and idead and also unfortunatley for people.

To say that all is one is not spiritual evolution but moral laziness and cowardice.

Spiritone

So i've read but why shouldn't they if they are not conviced of the validity of the benefits of the theory? I as a Christian have very definite beleifs about right and wrong, good and evil. Making distinctions is vital to my well being as a person and to the happiness of my soul. I must distinguish between food and poison, my body certainly does not think that all is one. Some foods will harm me and some will benefit me, the same goes for theories and idead and also unfortunatley for people.

To say that all is one is not spiritual evolution but moral laziness and cowardice.

All is one, is seen differently by different people. My interpretation of it is;
The Universe, our Solar system, the Planets and the Earth are all one. So fighting and killing others and being self serving only, is counter to that Law. It doesn't mean that everything is litterally a part of us.
I'm away from my computer for about a week and am now using a Library computer but will resume disussion later when I get back.

Alceste

Vagabond
"All is one" is the embrace that smothers, nothing is special if all is one, nothing is evil if all is one, nothing is good if all is one. If all is one then what matters?

You have stumbled upon a Taoist proposition. To a person who has overcome the illusion of subjectivity - a person who realizes she is an insignificant part of an ecosystem where all lives have value equal to hers - it is obvious that the quickest way to eliminate evil is to cease clinging to good. It is in your nature to be "evil" to your food, and "good" to your children. That is just the way it is. Why cling to "goodness" when your very survival depends on being sometimes "evil" and sometimes "good"?

When you stop clinging to goodness, it disappears - and evil with it.

What you are left with is not smothering but liberating. You realize engagement without attachment. A rat scurrying through an open sewer provides you with as much pleasure and wonder as a butterfly balanced on the petals of an orchid. If you are a theist, you are free to see God everywhere, in everything. God is not shut out of the things you hate and imprisoned in the things you love. God is everywhere.

jtartar

When we look at all the designs of nature and the planets and how all is kept in balance, for me, it is not possible for there to not be a Creator, After that fact it's an open book. We can listen to what has been written as evidence of what God is or combine science and numerology and the works of psychics etc. but it really does not matter what we decide or find. There is something beyond our physical existence and whatever that may be no one knows for 100% certainty.
I just realized I'm writing this on Easter Sunday. What I said above is just a beginning in our search for meaning. There are many ways to search and if the intent is right it should not matter how we learn and grow. We need a new beginning with all religious dogma kept to ourselves. Just, all is one. imo.
p s That's my sermon for the day for anyone to add on to or debate.

Spiritone,
The problem most of us have is called Egocentric Predicament, or Epistemological Predicament. This means that we are limited in our reasoning because we can only reason out of what is already in our own mind. The dictionary term for this is called, to Dumb Out, an answer. This leads to error the majority of times.
For us to come to an accurrate understanding, we must go to God's word, without preconcieved answers.
Some of what you posted is true, but Please allow me to add a little more for you to contemplate.
There are several scriptures that bear directly on the idea of getting to Know God.
Consider 2Thes 1:6-9, which tells us that we MUST KNOW God or we will receive everlasting death.
Ps 25:14, shows that we can have an intimacy with God.
There are several scriptures that say that a person who is in a saved condition, or Promerit condition with God, is ONE with Him and His son, Jesus.
First consider John 10:30, which says that Jesus and his Father are ONE. This is not an exclusive fellowship, for in John 17:11, 21-23, God, Jesus and all His favored people are also ONE.
To be in this group we must find the only ONE religion and become part of it, Eph 4:4-6, and remain in it until death, Matt 10:22, 24:13.
Jesus taught how this is done; We must remain in his word, then we are his disciples, John 8:31,32.
Jesus came as the Exemplar, so we must follow his footsteps closely, 1Pet 2:21, 1John 2:6, and Titus 1:16.
There are two ways to get to know God; Natural Religion and Revealed Religion. You mentioned Natural Religion. This tells us what kind of a person God is, so that there is no excuse for denying that God exists, Ps 10:4, 14:1, Rom 1:18-20. This knowledge, although awsome does not put us in an intimate relationship with our creator. We need revealed Religion for that. This is God's inspirid word the Holy Bible. In these scriptures we find that God wants us to draw close to Him, James 4:8, 1Pet 5:7.
2Tim 2:24-26, tells usa just how important it is to get to know God and His purpose; it actually means the difference between whether we are working for God or working for Satan the Devil. Consider also John 17:3.

jtartar

To me, it all makes much more sense without a creator. You say once you accept that, everything falls into place. I must vehemently disagree.

There are so many bad ideas with the good ideas, there is so much uncertainty, inequality, so much suffering... how one reconciles it with a "plan" by something else is a mental gymnastic none of us are able to perform.

There is no inherent balance, unless you mean the entire enterprise headed toward entropy is balance. To look for a creator is to give meaning to your life, not to all life and all planets and all stars and all black holes.

Numerology is simply ridiculous, especially as it applies to calendrical studies. We have put numbers to time and dates, and we're obviously making it up as we go along, like we do with so many other endeavors.

We have life and we have language, both of which have evolved to a point where we can sit at a computer screen pouring out our philosophical whatevers. It means nothing in the end, unless we want it to for our lifetimes. The creator, if there is one, is indifferent.

Invisible chzbrgr,
It makes me very sad to hear that you are living completely without hope. This is exactly what Satan is striving for, to make everyone think everything is hopeless. All the things you describe are not from God!! Remember that Adam and Eve decided to follow Satan instead of God, when they listened to Satan and not God, Gen 2:17, 3:4, 3:17-19.
Consider the exchange between Jesus and Satan, when Jesus was tempted, just after Jesus was baptized, Luke 4:5-7. Notice when Satan told Jesus that all the nations and their glory had been given to him, Jesus did not deny this fact. Jesus actually said, at least three times that Satan is the ruler of this world, John 12:31, 14,30, 16:11.
There is a rtevealing word; Pansatanism, which means that this world is actually a manifestation of the personality of Satan. Several scriptures show this to be true. Notice 1John 5:19, which says that the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.
Consider also Rev 12:9, which says that Satan thed Devil is MISLEADING the entire inhabited earth.
God has allowed Satan to rule for a certain period of time, this time period is almost at an end. At Luke 21:24, the last part of that scripture. This mentions a period which is called the Times of the Nations. This time ran out in 1914. Jesus has been ruling in the midsts of his enemies, Ps 110:2, Matt 22:43,44, 1Cor 15:25, Heb 10:12,13. Very shortly Jesus will descend from heaven and bring about the end of this old system, and take his place as the King of God's Heavenly Kingdom, which will extend righteous rule to the earth. This is what the LORD"S PRAYER means, Matt 6:9,10.
So, rather than blame God for all wickedness on this earth, blame Satan and mankind.
Praise God for what He has promised to do in the near future. He will right all wrongs and put in place the Paradise that Jesus promised the evildoer on the stake beside him, luke 23:43, Rev 21:3-5.
Pray earnestly to the Almighty God for correct understanding of His purpose!!

Invisible chzbrgr,
It makes me very sad to hear that you are living completely without hope. This is exactly what Satan is striving for, to make everyone think everything is hopeless.

I appreciate your concern, but I never said there was no hope. There is always hope, especially for those lucky enough to contemplate the concept of hope.

Do you think because I write of suffering, it's because I must be suffering? I apologize for the misunderstanding if this is the case. I am not suffering or hopeless. :)

Spiritone

Sorry it took so long for me to reply but I did not have access to a computer, believe it or not.
The first time I read through the Bible I tried to do so without being influenced by anything I had learned/been told before, and had many surprizing finds. But there were a lot of questions, of course. Many years later i read through what I had underlined which was a lot, with new knowledge and mostly had a different perspective. Now for the third time when I read the Bible I have a totally different perspective and some things I just took for granted had a different meaning--totally different. So because I listen to every opinion and read many different things (non-fiction) I have an open minded, inquisitive way of looking at everything. Nothing is absolutely known to be IT, meaning the we can not be certain 100% about anything even what's in the Bible.
Well, that's really rambeling away from the origional statement.
We must question imo.