• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Believe Ohio: Uniting On Social Issues.

Ardent Listener

New Clergy group denounces divisiveness.

A new group gounded by ministers and rabbis who feel drowned out by the religious right began a campaign on Tuesday to make sure other voices are heard in this year's elections.

We believe Ohio, comprised of more than 100 clergy, promised to promote issures that can unite rather than polarize.

"We believe people of faith are meant to build bridges, not construct barriers," said Rev. Tim Ahrens of the First Congregational church in Columbus. "We will not allow the voice of religion to be co-opted by intolerant values."

The movement's start took place at a rally inside the sancturary of the First AME Zion Church near downtown (Columbus). About 350 clergy and members of their congregations listed to speakers present an alternative to activism of conservative pastors aligned with the 2004 gay marriage ban that voters easily approved.

Instead, We Believe Ohio leaders want to take another direction, uniting on social issues upon which they agree, such as education, the economy and health care. The group's first goal is to turn out 80% of each congregation's registered voters to the poll's this year.

Leaders said We Believe Ohio was formed in response to political groups founded by the Revs. Rod Parsley of Columbus and Russel Johnson of Lancaster, who both strongly advocates the ban on gay marriages.

"Those who seek to separate people are not really doing what God intended, at least in my background," said Canton Jack Chomsky of Tifereth Israel in Columbus.

The 2006 campaign so far has spent too much time on the personalities of Republican candidates for govenor Jim Petro and Kennneth Blackwell, said Eric McFadden, the group's spokesmand.

"This group is more issue orientated and not candidate-orientated," McFadden said.

But Americans have long tackled divisive issues, provided that leads to the greater good, said Johnson, of the Fairfield Christian Church in Landcaster, on Monday.

"Slavery was a divisive issue in the 1860's. It dosen't mean we didn't need to deal with it., said Johnson who heads the Ohio restoration Project, a Christian conservative activist group that claims more than 1,700 churches.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Ardent Listener said:
We believe Ohio, comprised of more than 100 clergy, promised to promote issures that can unite rather than polarize.
In 2004, Ohio Christians flocked to the polls in record numbers to vote FOR a ban on same-sex marriages--and in the process, re-elected that simple-minded, war-mongering, homophobic, religious hypocrite, George W. Bush, who will go down in history as the worst U.S. president ever. It was enough to make me ashamed of my state for years to come. :eek:

Fowvay

I live in the only Democratic county in Ohio and am morally outraged and ashamed of how my fellow Ohioans are treating the Homosexual and gay community. It is an outrage.

I am a Christian, a follower of Christ but my beliefs should have no bearing on how others should live thier lives.

I strongly believe that the State and or Federal govt should be in the business of civil unions and that Marrige should be something that belongs in the Church.

If a church doesn't want to marry a couple because they are gay... fine and dandy but they have no right to tell the state that it should be illegal for anyone else to do so.

What a crock.. I am ashamed to call Ohio home. :(

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Fowvay said:
I live in the only Democratic county in Ohio and am morally outraged and ashamed of how my fellow Ohioans are treating the Homosexual and gay community. It is an outrage.

I am a Christian, a follower of Christ but my beliefs should have no bearing on how others should live thier lives.

I strongly believe that the State and or Federal govt should be in the business of civil unions and that Marrige should be something that belongs in the Church.

If a church doesn't want to marry a couple because they are gay... fine and dandy but they have no right to tell the state that it should be illegal for anyone else to do so.

WERD!!!Frubals to you.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
retrorich said:
...simple-minded, war-mongering, homophobic, religious hypocrite...
Now Rich...;)...the whole point of the "We Believe Ohio" is to move beyond the divisiveness. Do you think this kind of labeling is going to help?:confused: I know you realize how much it pains me to say this, but Bush has not been the "uniter" he promised to be.:(

Considering "Miranda", removing prayer from school functions to removing the Ten Commandments from courthouse displays and efforts to remove "Under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, many schools not allowing it to be recited, pervasive political correctness that made many retailers remove "Merry Christmas" from advertising, and to facing the possibility of same-sex marriage gaining legal recognition; the oversimplification is that the reason the "Christian Right's" message has such resonance with voters is that many Americans believe their "values" have been under attack and they see the "Chrstian Right" as fighting for them.

Whether you agree with all, some, or none of their message, no one can deny that they have been effective at channeling the angst and anger of voters into the voting booth.

I like the message that We Believe Ohio is sending, and I hope their first mission will be to educate people that America is a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy as many of them have mistakenly been told all their lives. When people believe a society is a democracy, they do not see the danger of the "tyranny of the majority" imposing its will on any minority.

They are facing an uphill battle since many people will still see the Republicans as the party of "family values", but the missteps by Bush and his "posse" have certainly left the door open for someone to challenge his agenda. I think the 2006 mid-term election will be one of the most important in recent history since it could serve as a "report card" on Bush and the Republicans, and a peek at what might important for 2008.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
...many people will still see the Republicans as the party of "family values.
I see the Republicans--under George W. Bush--as the party of war-mongering, homophobia and religious hypocrisy. "Family Values," my butt!

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
retrorich said:
In 2004, Ohio Christians flocked to the poles in record numbers to vote FOR a ban on same-sex marriages--and in the process, re-elected that simple-minded, war-mongering, homophobic, religious hypocrite, George W. Bush, who will go down in history as the worst U.S. president ever. It was enough to make me ashamed of my state for years to come. :eek:
Read up on Andrew Jackson. You won't think Bush is so bad. You, as a liberal, I presume, should think that Hoover or Coolidge were worse presidents. Anyway, no matter how conservative or liberal someone is, they can not have Bush on the top or bottom of the list. There have been far worse presidents than he...cough...cough...Clinton...sorry there was something in my throat.:D

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
retrorich said:
I see the Republicans--under George W. Bush--as the party of war-mongering, homophobia and religious hypocrisy. "Family Values," my butt!
Are you saying that the Dems are any better? hah! That's funny.

Ardent Listener

Fowvay said:

If you live in the only democratic county in Ohio, then we must be living in the same one. Ohio can go either way in politics. Just wait and see.

kevmicsmi

retrorich said:
In 2004, Ohio Christians flocked to the poles in record numbers to vote FOR a ban on same-sex marriages--and in the process, re-elected that simple-minded, war-mongering, homophobic, religious hypocrite, George W. Bush, who will go down in history as the worst U.S. president ever. It was enough to make me ashamed of my state for years to come. :eek:

They wouldnt have been able to vote if they went to the poles! They went to the POLLS...oh well, just a thought from a simple minded hypocrite.....hint if you are going to go on a hateful rant about peoples intelligence, at least SPELL the words right!

Ardent Listener

kevmicsmi said:
They wouldnt have been able to vote if they went to the poles! They went to the POLLS...oh well, just a thought for a simple minded hypocrite.....hint if you are going to go on a hateful rant about peoples intelligence, at least SPELL the words right!

And here we go again with the personal attacks.:tsk:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
mormonman said:
Read up on Andrew Jackson. You won't think Bush is so bad. You, as a liberal, I presume, should think that Hoover or Coolidge were worse presidents. Anyway, no matter how conservative or liberal someone is, they can not have Bush on the top or bottom of the list. There have been far worse presidents than he...cough...cough...Clinton...sorry there was something in my throat.:D
I remain firm in my belief that George W. Bush is the worst pesident this country has ever had--even worse than Nixon. :eek: I sincerely hope that we will never have another president as bad, or worse, than George W. Bush. Surprise: my current candidate of choice for 2008 is John McCain, a moderate Republican--not Hillary Clinton, a liberal Democrat.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
kevmicsmi said:
They wouldnt have been able to vote if they went to the poles! They went to the POLLS...oh well, just a thought from a simple minded hypocrite.....hint if you are going to go on a hateful rant about peoples intelligence, at least SPELL the words right!
Thanks for pointing out my error--I have corrected it. Oh, by the way, I think you meant "wouldn't" not "wouldnt" and "people's" not "peoples." And to be grammatically correct, you should have typed "If they had gone" not "if they went." Also, it's "simple-minded" not "simple minded." But no one is perfect, right? PEACE. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am ashamed to call Indiana home. They helped put Bush in office, and elected the f***tard governor Mitch Daniels. He has single handedly screwed everything up. Indiana is a farm state. We don't need daylight savings time for economical growth. We don't need to sell the toll road to a foriegn country. We don't need BMW branches shut down. We do need everything he has done reverted. (Except for the bill he passed that makes protesting funerals a felony. The one and ONLY good thing he has done.) Indiana even has a judge that told the parents in a divorce case, both who are Wiccan, that neither one of them can expose thier child to "non-mainstream" religions. And Bush endorsed these republican idiots. Bush only does worse for the entire nation. I'm ashamed to call America home anymore.