• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Went to my first UU service

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I did find, over time, that this acceptance often stops short of accepting traditional Christianity or political ideas that are not left-leaning.
The acceptance of Christianity also varies a lot, between congregations.

Sad to say, but a large majority of UUs are Christian "refugees," and some of them are quite bitter.

OTOH, while no longer Christian itself, UU is firmly rooted in liberal Christianity, and many of us honor that joyfully. There are explicitly Christian congregations, too.

So, were you exploring it on your own, I'd urge you to simply try another congregation.

As for politics.... not so sure about that. I've only been to two congregations. The first was a tiny church in Lubbock, TX. I don't remember hearing much political there, but I may just have not been paying attention. ;) My current church is one of the largest in the country, in the heart of Portland, OR... probably not a fair yardstick, lol.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm a bit anxious about this particular topic. While I appreciate the emphasis on social activism, I'm worried the lean will be a strong left one, and that will not be comfortable. A strong right lean wouldn't work either.

I mentioned not having luck with finding a community in the past, and that involved both lifestyle and politics sadly. I have no problem with anyone who may feel differently than me on an issue, but obviously if a person either insults me or alienates me, diplomacy becomes a challenge.

Sometimes I find being a moderate ~ religious and/or political ~ a serious pain in the butt.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Also, it is important to remember that it is a big misconception about our Unitarian Universalist faith is that “you can believe anything you want.” Nothing could be further from the truth. Quoting our minister more fully...
Timeless truths taught by our Unitarian and Universalist forebears are at the core of our faith. These core beliefs are anchored in this present day and age by what we call our Seven Principles and Purposes. These Seven Principles and Purposes are not inconclusive or inconsequential vagaries. They are seven specific action statements, seven specific mission statements that, if we really guided our day by them, would cause us to upend our lives and upend the world around us. These are our seven shared beliefs, our seven clarion calls of conscience and commitment:
  • We affirm and promote the inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • We affirm and promote justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • We affirm and promote acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • We affirm and promote a free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • We affirm and promote the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • We affirm and promote the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
I think the affirmation and promotion of these principles, which is the pledged and stated intention of Unitarian Universalism, sometimes appear to those who are not inclined toward several of them to be a lack of welcome for their perspectives. I suppose, in some ways, it is similar to how a humanist would feel within the context of a Christian congregation.

applewuud

Well, part of the anxiety of getting involved with any organization is dealing with differences. I'd argue that's one of the paths to spiritual growth, to stand in the fire of difference and learn to deal with it and accept it. Any religion has that. Even Mennonites have heated congregational fights among themselves. When you're dealing with a religion that encourages people to question everything, and UU does, at some point you're bound to have a "crossed transaction" with some person about something. It won't feel comfortable, but just let it go. Such is life among human beings.

The late Forrest Church said something that should be considered by all UUs that confuse religion with a particular political position: "The job of politics is to make the world a better place for people. The job of religion is to make better people for the world" (or something like that).

Good luck with your search. BTW, I went to a UU church for 11 years and never became a member. I did donate to the pledge drive, eventually.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Thank you for your thoughts, Bicker and Applewuud.

Actually, I have no problem with those who feel differently about an issue, even an issue that is very serious for me. I have a relatively diplomatic nature. I just don't want others to expect ME to think like them, and that has unfortunately been my experience to date.

I'm looking forward to going back this Sunday.

applewuud

Good luck. Keep in mind that the UU General Assembly is in Minneapolis, MN this weekend, so if the church sent a delegation there, a lot of key people will be missing and it might be a slower Sunday than most.

cloudedice

Fair warning to all interested parties: quality of services can vary WILDLY.

I'm still wincing over a particular Earth Day ritual.

I have to concur. When my wife and I were still living in another state, we took some friends to our favorite UU church and were treated with a sermon on the "Schmuck" factor. It was not enjoyable and a little embarrassing after all the good we had said about the church.

Although, that was probably the first bad sermon we had heard there. Not sure what that says though...

I miss that church... Still searching for one in this state...