• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were tongues abolished?

jolakoturinn

Panem angelorum
I do not believe the biblical gift of tongues to be glossolalia...

When I look that up in the dictionary, I get conflicting definitions. One says gobledygook, i.e. rubbish. The other says genuinely speaking an unknown, foreign language. Which do you mean?

Personally, I find it very hard to believe in it. But, that is not to say it does not happen, and I truly believe that it can happen. I just think there must be so many either faked cases, or situations where people in a pseudo-religious hysteria believe they are really doing it, but actually going nuts. I wish I had seen/heard it, though--and I mean the "real" thing, not the other weird ones I've seen.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Marunong ako magsalita sa ibang wika. Regalo yan ng mga wika.

Marunong ako magsalita ng Tagalog.

Basit laeng ti Ilokano.

Ni hibira Mando'a.

English of course.

Ano pa? Yan lang yata.

Muffled

Jesus in me
To communicate.

Sometimes it would be communication especially if there were a translation for those who don't speak the language. I tend to believe that tongues is a witness that the Holy Spirit is working. That is why it is faked so often because people desire to have the authentification that comes with the presence of the Holy Spirit. Another reason is that there are groups that require it. People will try to manufacture a fulfillment of the group's expectations.

crystalonyx

There is no biblical support for the kind of "speaking in tongues" done in fundamentalist churches. It really just is a show put on to get attention.

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is no biblical support for the kind of "speaking in tongues" done in fundamentalist churches. It really just is a show put on to get attention.

I am not sure what you think a fundamentalist church is. I tend to doubt that speaking in tongues could or should be considered fundamental.

As for speaking in tongues in church there is plenty of Biblical evidence except for the phony stuff. What "kind" of tongues are you talking about? Witnessing the power of the Holy Spirit is not a show in the sense of entertainment but in presenting what God has to offer us. There may be some who seek attention as in those who say long prayers but that does not alter the reality of those who truly are serving Jesus by speaking in tongues.