• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are Devil and Satan as you perceive?

worshiper

Picker of Nose
every religion have their own views on the devil and satan.

who is the devil?
who is satan?
are they both the same? are they different?
what are their role?
what have they done to deserve disapproval from God.

as this thread is in a comparative religion forum, i dont expect any debate on anyone's belief. i just wanna understand your views on these 2 things.

open to all but preferably theists.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Live <----> Evil
De-evil = of-Death

All that helps living and nourishes the right sort of Good life, is from God (lord of the living from lord of hosts), so anything that contains people (contracts) and stops living is in its self is the opposite to live and so evil...

Satan = Accuser of the soul = each persons own EGO

They are the same thing, but i belive they a good force. They punish those who do wrong, whats wrong with that then eh? In case your planning to say, they poison peolple minds then you are wrong. Its human esperience which does that.

worshiper

Picker of Nose
In case your planning to say, they poison peolple minds then you are wrong. Its human esperience which does that.

this is not a debate thread so just say what you think regarding the OP. i doubt people will tell you that you are wrong about it. even if they tell you that, its just a matter of his words against yours. and your believe is different from his belief. ;)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
The Devil and Satan as I perceive them, don't exist. I don't believe they're real, in any sense of the word "real".

anders

Comparable myths. 'Devil' is Greek, the 'slanderer' or 'accuser'. 'Satan' is Semitic, 'the Enemy'.

Ðanisty

The term devil really doesn't mean a thing to me. It's just another word people use to describe Satan and Lucifer.

Satan is the adversary and Lucifer is the lightbringer. They're two sides of the same coin really. I see them as separate entities that together serve the noble purpose of thwarting God's plans.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

>What are the devil and satan as you perceive them?

In the Baha'i view, God is One, Supreme, All-loving, totally benificent, and without peer or rival!

There is therefore no "devil" in the usual sense of the word, competing with God.

And satan simply refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

The Baha'i scriptures go on to give an excellent explanation of good and evil; those interested can find this in 'Abdu'l-Baha's Some Answered Questions at www.bahai-library.org (click "Baha'i Writings).

Best regards, :)

Bruce

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
There is no such thing as the devil or satan or whatever.....men made them up...the best way to get people to do what you want them to is to scare the crap out of them.

Angelfire

Greetings!

>What are the devil and satan as you perceive them?

In the Baha'i view, God is One, Supreme, All-loving, totally benificent, and without peer or rival!

There is therefore no "devil" in the usual sense of the word, competing with God.

And satan simply refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

The Baha'i scriptures go on to give an excellent explanation of good and evil; those interested can find this in 'Abdu'l-Baha's Some Answered Questions at .

Best regards, :)

Bruce

:D
I agree with you completely.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
In certain mythos they may be different or the same person, but I believe they are just an idea - a representative of ultimate "evil" opposed to god's ultimate "good". I personally don't believe such extremes exist independent of each other, so the idea has little merit to me, and no place in my personal beliefs.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I am an Atheist Agnostic. However, symbols are highly useful. Satan is indulgence, rebellion, and Mastery of the Self. Lucifer is freedom, knowledge, compassion, and self-overcoming.

The following is my mental picture of Satan. I could not find an online picture that does justice to Lucifer, though.
LuciferRebirth.jpg

powder21

Always Changing
Satan and the Devil (or evil) in my opinion are sort of the personification of our inherent instincts to serve only ourselves while "good" would be our free will or choice to deny our instincts and serve the well-being of others.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I am an Atheist Agnostic. However, symbols are highly useful. Satan is indulgence, rebellion, and Mastery of the Self. Lucifer is freedom, knowledge, compassion, and self-overcoming.

The following is my mental picture of Satan. I could not find an online picture that does justice to Lucifer, though.
LuciferRebirth.jpg

Mmmm....Lucifer is pretty hot. *bishie coma*