• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the FACTS that support your religion?

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
That violates the definition of the universe given in P3. I am very happy to say that God merely created some things in the universe and was in turn created by other things in this universe. I only wish to argue that God is not the first cause.

You are right--I misunderstood your argument. I now believe P3 is also not evident. ;)

I can see two alternatives:
Nothing requires a cause
Some things require a cause and some things do not

Assumedly you are arguing for the second alternative with the idea of placing God into the category of things that are uncaused. Which you then do:

In which case, what does it mean to define a being as infinite?

Something that can't be measured or quantified; something that is omnipotent and omniscient; something that is beyond absolute comprehension.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Here are some "facts" of my faith. I love God. I love Yeshua and try to follow all His commands. I feel God,I see God everywhere I look. God makes me feel whole.
I try to be kind to people and I try to follow the Golden Rule. I used to feel as though I had no purpose in life, but now I feel as though I do have a purpose. These things help make me who I am. Now that I have God, I am not going to give Him up.

These and other things are facts to me. They may be facts to other Christians. Other religions may have other facts about God.

These things would not be considered facts in the scientific world. In the scientific world, you need physical evidence. I love science, I love studying it. So I do know that any theory or natural law has to go through a lot of rigorous testing to be even accepted. You can't do physical testing with God.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
These things would not be considered facts in the scientific world. In the scientific world, you need physical evidence.

If empirical data counts as verifiable fact, then post #2 would be my response.

If "Cogito Ergo Sum" is considered unverifiable, then there goes all the empirical data I could list.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The fact remains that some people don't believe in something unless they can feel it (that is physical feeling), hear it, smell it, taste it, or see it.

About Cogito Ergo Sum- I know I exist, but I can't prove to anyone here or anyone else. The only person I could prove that to is myself. Even Descartes, when he came up with it, didn't deny that. I have seen people walking around talking to invisible companions-- it has occurred to me that maybe they can see someone that the rest of us cannot see. You never know, maybe schizophrenics can see them because they believe in them. (I know that sounds insane, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Since there are no hindus here to participate. Im alone. I say that hindusim has come up with one law which never fails, Karma.

i thought Karma was tied in with reincarnation, your collective Karma dictates your next incarnation. since you can't objectively prove any form of afterlife, be it heaven or reincarnation, your law of Karma is very much open to question.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since there are no hindus here to participate. Im alone. I say that hindusim has come up with one law which never fails, Karma.

An admirable sentiment, comrade, but completely without empirical evidence.

Don't feel so alone, though -- I've got your back....

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
True. But since you can't prove that you're right, either, it doesn't mean very much to us skeptics. ;)

Depends on what one considers to be proof or evidence of proof and who your trying to prove it to. I've certainly been able to "prove it" to myself. And it also helps that I don't care about proving it to others. but in general your right it doesn't mean much. However the thread only asked for FACTS and what I gave is a fact.:D

Nanda

Polyanna
Depends on what one considers to be proof or evidence of proof and who your trying to prove it to. I've certainly been able to "prove it" to myself. And it also helps that I don't care about proving it to others. but in general your right it doesn't mean much. However the thread only asked for FACTS and what I gave is a fact.:D

Yes, but I'm arguing that it's a pretty useless fact.