• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the Similarities and Differences Between Prayer and Meditation?

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
"My mind, sir, is my castle. Mind your own!" - Aristophanes

"Did I leave the stove on?
Surely that's half an hour.
I wish that seagull would shut up.
This is great.
This is boring.
That girl at the office is pretty.
Oh, I really meditated there for a bit.
I want a drink."

That is not what I was talking about and you know that full well.

"Believe it or not meditation isn't really meant to be about communing with yourself."

Believe it or not, I have my own ideas about the nature of meditation. Crazy, I know but I am big on that think for yourself gambit. Perhaps, if you'd just simply asked I would have clarified.
Oh Jeremiah I'm so sorry. I didn't want to suggest that I knew your mind. When I wrote that I was thinking of my own experience to make the joke that, despite communing with oneself not usually being the stated aim of meditation, the thoughts that arise are almost always very self-absorbed.

I should have realised that was going to come across badly. My brain is a little fuzzy from the flu.

I'd be interested to read your ideas about the nature of meditation. For instance, could you explain what you mean by higher self and how that differs from yourself?

chinu

chinu
What are some of the similarities and differences between prayer and meditation?
Similarities: Both are important to know "Truth".

Difference: Prayer is the key and meditation is the gateway to heaven.

Result: Meditation without prayer is useless, But prayer without meditation is not useless, because whenever on the gateway, one can use the key, but the gateway withour key is useless.

_/\_
Chinu

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Similarities: Both are important to know "Truth".

Difference: Prayer is the key and meditation is the gateway to heaven.

Result: Meditation without prayer is useless, But prayer without meditation is not useless, because whenever on the gateway, one can use the key, but the gateway withour key is useless.

_/\_
Chinu

Try telling a Buddhist that Meditation without prayer is "useless".

prayer = asking for forgiveness, repenting and asking for help
meditation = clearing your mind of everything so as to help you focus when you awake, i.e. giving your brain a break.