• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book r u reading?

jbg

An excerpt:

Judah P. Benjamin by Pierce Butler]Being contemptuously referred to by an opponent in debate (some place the scene in the Senate, some on the hustings in Louisiana) as "that Jew from Louisiana," Benjamin retorted: "It is true that I am a Jew, and when my ancestors were receiving their Ten Commandments from the immediate hand of Deity, amidst the thunderings and lightnings of Mt. Sinai, the ancestors of the distinguished gentleman who is opposed to me were herding swine in the forests of Scandinavia."
This was Judah P. Benjamin's reaction to the disparagement of his birth religion. Judah P. Benjamin was a remarkable historical figure, having been a successful Louisiana lawyer, a U.S. Senator, a Confederate Attorney General, Secretary of War and eventually Secretary of State. He thereafter fled to Great Britain and France, in part to reunite with his wife and daughter and in larger part to avoid he imprisonment and ignominy of being imprisoned or executed by the victorious Union.
I just finished reading Judah P. Benjamin by Pierce Butler. I picked this up at random in my synagogue library. I had always been curious about the subject individual. The inside cover gives copyright dates of 1883 and 1910. I doubt the former since the book describes his death. The book was, no doubt, a hagiography. That being said, I'll still give it "five stars." It is definitely written in an older style, and unashamedly gives sanction to the anti-black bigotry of the age. That being said, it is a thrilling tale of the Civil War from a Southern point of view. It is a splendid biography of a man, who but for his taking the "wrong side" of the Civil War, would have been recognized as one of America's greats, perhaps in the same sentence as Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Benjamin Rush. He was by all accounts a brilliant orator and advocate. Perhaps, ameliorating his negative side, a lawyer advocates for who hires them; full stop!

jbg

I just finished reading : ℎ 2020 ℎ ℎ by Julio Rosas. I picked up the recommendation to read the book from another user of Goodreads. It was a good recommend. To my mind, the book focuses on misleading reporting by the major news outlets concerning the events following George Floyd murder in 2020. During this time, suddenly, covid was no longer a concern as far as locking people up in their apartments. It was more important for people to be allowed to riot.

The book zooms in on the "abject failure of authorities to maintain order and ensure public safety-creating a power vacuum that existed for days" and "what happens when those entrusted to enforce the laws and protect the populace refuse to do so." One of the dramatic results, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, was the eruption of vigilante justice. The author concludes that "that having a significant police presence and showing a willingness to act to protect civil order—would go a long way toward keeping the entire community safe."

This is a subject that most authors are afraid to cover, at risk of banishment from polite, educated society. This does not deter him. In his words: "But what do I know? I'm just a college dropout." The book reads surprisingly well given his limited education. I am giving the book a "four" since I reserve "fives" for a select few; I would give it a 4 1/2.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have a book club meeting tonight! Anyway, so here's what we had to read this month, and I give it about 3 stars.

To Slip The Bonds Of Earth by Amanda Flower. It is a psuedo history of the Wright Brothers and their sister Katherine. Also it's a history of Dayton, OH which I actually found more interesting than the personal stuff.

I know why it was chosen but I still don't really like it. Oh well, the other books have been good so I'll give the book club another chance.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I bet The Bible, The Koran, The Veda's The Torah will all be mentioned but does not have to be religious.
I was in a charity shop and picked up David Niven's The Worlds a balloon. Hilarious 6/10.
Your turn.

Just finishing

Simply amazing scholarship.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am rereading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It's for another book club. I belong to two book clubs. One is secular and one is slightly religious, though the books don't really seem to be. This one is for the more religious group. I like them both for different reasons.