• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What church is the true church?

roger1440

I do stuff
There are nearly ten thousand flavors of Christianity today. When we add to the mix the churches that did not survive to the present date, the number of churches are even higher. What criteria should a person use to determine the true church? I define the “true church” as a church that teaches an accurate teaching of Jesus Christ. If you know of such a church, please explain in detail why that church is the true church.

KidatHeart

It could be argued that no church is the true church.

I think ultimately that the decisions about what to believe in and how to act should be made on an individual level ("Pray privately", Matthew 6:6), and it doesn't matter where you hear the source information from. The truths should be discernible, no matter where you hear it from: a sermon or reading a holy book at home.

I do believe that some churches (and clergy) do a better job of promoting and embodying the life the messiah intended us to lead. Those would be closer to a "true church".

But, that becomes a matter for the individual to consider.

roger1440

I do stuff
It could be argued that no church is the true church.

I think ultimately that the decisions about what to believe in and how to act should be made on an individual level ("Pray privately", Matthew 6:6), and it doesn't matter where you hear the source information from. The truths should be discernible, no matter where you hear it from: a sermon or reading a holy book at home.

I do believe that some churches (and clergy) do a better job of promoting and embodying the life the messiah intended us to lead. Those would be closer to a "true church".

But, that becomes a matter for the individual to consider.
Please define holy book. Where can I find this source information from? You can not say the bible. All Christians do not beleive in the same bible.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe the scriptures reveal that the true church is not a physical institution or one group or denomination, but rather an invisible entity which is made-up of all who have placed their trust in Christ for salvation and are regenerated or born-again.

Which church is the true church?

KidatHeart

Please define holy book. Where can I find this source information from? You can not say the bible. All Christians do not beleive in the same bible.

Just because all Christians do not believe in the same bible does not mean there aren't truths in all of those bibles.

I define "holy book" as any collection of scriptures or prayers.

Ultimately, the source information is the truth itself. That's what you have to look for, and examine, and decide for yourself.

KidatHeart

I believe the scriptures reveal that the true church is not a physical institution or one group or denomination, but rather an invisible entity which is made-up of all who have placed their trust in Christ for salvation and are regenerated or born-again.

Good answer, if you ask me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe the church to be an entity of believers having the same frame of mind and heart.

The true church would be the one favored by God.
Not of this earth.

So then I have no religion, no congregation, and no one follows me.

I shall discover my true belonging only in the next life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Can the Gospel of Judas be considered scripture.

I consider any report of belief as scripture.
That would include the things you profess to be true.

We each are forming our own book of life.
Those books will be opened...latter on....

So says scripture.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

there is only one bible... there are just many ways of interpreting it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I think it makes sense that the 144,000 are angels.

Revelation 14 tells us that these 144,000 are from mankind....

14:1 And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. ...4 These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb

so they are not angels...they are christians who are anointed and chosen to rule with Christ in the heavenly kingdom as kings and priests.

KidatHeart

I think translation makes a big difference, as well as interpretation.

I think it's safer to say there's only one Truth.

KidatHeart

Revelation 14 tells us that these 144,000 are from mankind....

14:1 And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. ...4 These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb

so they are not angels...they are christians who are anointed and chosen to rule with Christ in the heavenly kingdom as kings and priests.

I think it could be said that this means they were separated from being among mankind. That they were declared different.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Which church is the true church?

its true to say that the 'true church' consists of members who are 'born again'.... these born again christians will enter heaven to rule with Christ....

but what about those who are not born-again? Jesus spoke of his born again disciples as a 'little flock' “Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom.”—Luke 12:32.... yet he also spoke of 'other sheep' “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring.”—John 10:16.

These other sheep have been promised an 'earthly' inheritence according to Matthew 5:5 “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth,”

It stands to reason that if there are born-again christians who have been promised a position in heaven to rule over mankind....then these other christians who inherit the earth for their eternal salvation must also be members of the 'true church' .... it would make no sense to take all mankind to heaven to rule over an empty earth.

roger1440

I do stuff
If there are believers who adhere to it religiously, then yes.
If people can pick and choose what is and is not scripture then it would make it difficult is define what exactly is the true church. It would also make the term Christian vague. Even if all people were in agreement with what scripture is considered authentic, the problem of interrupting such scripture now comes into play.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I think it could be said that this means they were separated from being among mankind. That they were declared different.

the scripture says they were 'bought' from among mankind

it doesnt say they were different....just that God had chosen them from among mankind. It certainly doesnt say they were angels.