• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God”?

Psalm23

I have an image that looks vaguely like a mist over a sea. I don't know why. Like this,

mist-over-a-lake-shore.jpg

That's a really pretty picture. :blush:

Ponder This

NOTE: This thread is not in a debate forum.

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.

The wind passes.
Where does the wind come from and where is it going?
Transcendent spirit.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
"God is an Infinite Sphere whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere"

Attachments

• God-is-an-infinite-sphere.png
    God-is-an-infinite-sphere.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 0

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.

Honestly?
When I read god, this is how I look:

download.jpg
images (1).jpg

I don't know. I can make guesses but they'd be only based on concepts and god-ideas I'm familiar with but I can't find a relationship with what I value and the word as portrayed by deity in itself.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Rule with Compassion! That's God's rule, gotta have compassion!

The rules for compassion are up for debate!

Eyes to See

For me personally the picture of God has changed in my mind over the years. When I was a small child I imagined a person with incredible power, older looking, a really deep voice. Then when studying the Bible and realizing he wasn't human or looked human like us, I tried to imagine what an invisible spirit must look like and couldn't come up with anything so ended up imagining God as some sort of energy, gas, something.

You know I realize now that, while as a human I'll never be able to imagine the fullness of the image of God, he has to be supremely beautiful. The most beautiful, sublime person anyone has ever laid eyes on.

Because the Bible says that no one can look on his face and live, and that there is no darkness in his presence, there is a scripture that says that those who go to heaven to be with God will never have night, for God will be there day, I imagine his brightness brighter than a 1000 suns.

But more important, its not how I imagine God where I am now in life, but who I have perceived him to be.

God is love. He is like my mother when I was a child that would hug me and hush me to sleep. Gentle, caring, peaceful, always watchful. He's like the best version of a father any human could ever be. Ever vigilant of my needs, always watching over me. He's the protective and forgiving person that is always there for me when I talk with him in prayer. When I need help, when I'm sad, when I'm angry, when I'm happy. He's supremely wise and always knows how and when to answer my prayers.

He disciplines me in love to correct my wayward ways. He knows everything about me and still loves me. He looks for the good in me, even when I think I don't have anything good. He is patient and kind. He is greater than my heart, I know. I know I don't deserve all that he has done and will do for me. He is full of undeserved kindness and loyal love. And full of joy and happiness.

I have a lot more to say, but I will leave it at that.

ETA:

This song about Jehovah that I feel apt about my thoughts on God for this thread:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/music-songs/sing-out-joyfully/1-jehovahs-attributes/?media=sjjc

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Playmate?

Quite a few years ago, I had a time when I was writing a lot of poetry. One day I had "except as ye become as little children" from the Bible somewhere in my mind. From that, I thought of God as a playmate and wrote the following drawn from how adults sometimes play with little children:

Divine Playmate

Dancing barefoot in the dew
with open heart nets
we chase after God
who flits here and there
teasing us.

Laughing, twirling
we try to catch Him
as He winks at us
and hides behind trees.

We race to the trees
and find him behind us
tapping us on the shoulders
flashing a big grin.

We try to surround Him
and find to our surprise
He's raining sunlight upon us
from above.

We sit and sigh and pine
and He dances over and
asks us to join a
heavenly waltz.

We ask Him to stay
and He says
"Catch Me if you can"
and races off again.

This game is so much fun
that we play it for ages
until He catches us
when least expected.

Who can ask for
a better game than this
and a better playmate
than our Divine Friend.

Come! Join us.
All can play this game.
He loves it when we try
as one
to catch Him in our heart nets.

Reactions: Jim

Eyes to See

Quite a few years ago, I had a time when I was writing a lot of poetry. One day I had "except as ye become as little children" from the Bible somewhere in my mind. From that, I thought of God as a playmate and wrote the following drawn from how adults sometimes play with little children:

Divine Playmate

Dancing barefoot in the dew
with open heart nets
we chase after God
who flits here and there
teasing us.

Laughing, twirling
we try to catch Him
as He winks at us
and hides behind trees.

We race to the trees
and find him behind us
tapping us on the shoulders
flashing a big grin.

We try to surround Him
and find to our surprise
He's raining sunlight upon us
from above.

We sit and sigh and pine
and He dances over and
asks us to join a
heavenly waltz.

We ask Him to stay
and He says
"Catch Me if you can"
and races off again.

This game is so much fun
that we play it for ages
until He catches us
when least expected.

Who can ask for
a better game than this
and a better playmate
than our Divine Friend.

Come! Join us.
All can play this game.
He loves it when we try
as one
to catch Him in our heart nets.

The wording is nice on the poem. I wouldn't call God a tease. He's never teased me about anything.

When Jesus said we need to be like little children it was when his disciples were arguing about who was going to be the greatest in the kingdom. They were fighting for position and authority. Something that was really big in the culture of the Jews back then. There are still a lot of cultures where prominence and authority are really big. I

Even people who serve God have this macho attitude Jesus' disciples had. He was telling them they need to let it go and have the attitude of a child who doesn't worry about being the latest and the greatest

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

(edited to add the following)
This is not about who or what God is, or for discussions about the meanings of scripture passages. It’s about what you are experiencing, at the time when you think or say the word “God.”
It would depend upon the context with whom I am speaking with.

Jedster

This is not about who or what God is, or for discussions about the meanings of scripture passages. It’s about what you are experiencing, at the time when you think or say the word “God.”

You asked about what's in my mind:

For me, now, GOD is simply an acronym for the life process which everything goes through. No need for any Theism.

Generation(birth)
Operation (life span)
Destroyer (death)

Jesuslightoftheworld

The world has nothing to offer us!

I feel love and gratitude and never alone. Safe and secure; He’s got my back!