• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God”?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: This thread is not in a debate forum.

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.

(edited to add the following)
This is not about who or what God is, or for discussions about the meanings of scripture passages. It’s about what you are experiencing, at the time when you think or say the word “God.”

Last edited:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I have an image that looks vaguely like a mist over a sea. I don't know why. Like this,

mist-over-a-lake-shore.jpg

Jim

Nets of Wonder
For me it might be different at different times and in different circumstances. Sometimes it might be a gigantic talking head. Sometimes it might be a kind of vapor or mist. Sometimes it might be a feeling like how I feel when I’m thinking of someone far away, without actually picturing a person. Sometimes it might be a person, but incoplete or without much detail. When I’m reading scriptures it might be whatever fits His description and what He’s saying and doing in the part that I’m reading.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

What comes to your mind when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God.”
When people say "God," what comes to mind for me is a magical anthromorphic being who lives in the sky, who religious people insist isn't a magical anthromorphic being who lives in the sky, but then they behave as if he's a magical anthromorphic being who lives in the sky.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Maybe most often it’s what I picture when I think of “the universe,” with something about the same size alongside of it, that’s invisible.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I think of Father who regained his eternal spirit form when all of his first male human spirits died in life, and are now communicating from the eternal spirit, as the being who originally changed eternal and caused God to be created.

I think that most males would agree with that thought in science, of a self aware adult male history. Owning a belief in their psyche that they created God.

Having had him speak to me, the enormity of his presence is not describable.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What comes to your mind when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.

You don't want to know on a public thread

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What comes to your mind when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.
This surprises me, but first I think of infinite power. Then I also think about how power is really nothing (since we are so tiny that what we experience is actually not that significant), so I imagine also a ghostly power like a mist. Its hard to describe. My thoughts branch into lots of different things when I think about God.

I also think of something else. I think of love which surpasses the human sort. I have had a supernatural experience while contemplating the beauty of the concept of love. I may have stepped outside of time. It is one of the events that changed my life, causing me to make a choice that I would not have. Everything would have been different.

Psalm23

I had a song come to mind that goes like God is good all the time. He put a song of praise in this heart of mine...

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I just think "creative force of light" and that´s it.

Heyo

Veteran Member

What comes to your mind or what’s in your mind, when you think or say “God,” “Allah,” “Jevovah,” or whatever you think might be equivalent to that? It can be images, thoughts, memories, feelings, impressions, or any other experiences that often come along with thinking or saying “God,” or some equivalent of that.
I don't connect anything to the word "god". I trained to do so. It helped to realize that it has no gender and started referring to it as "it".
I'm aware that others have images in their mind and I might answer them in the context they presumably think of.