• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

PennyKay

Physicist
Decided to start a new thread after reading some comments on a previous thread I started.

What do you consider contributes more to a society, science or religion?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Decided to start a new thread after reading some comments on a previous thread I started.

Both have contributed to the development of society as a whole, however, overall, I would say science. Many, not all, religious beliefs tend to hold society back.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

For me society is about people, Science gives us things and information most of this stuff we can do without. Religion gives us community and focus things that will always be needed.

That be said religion has a much heavier cost than science. Science very rarely on its own inspires society to do anything. Religion used improperly greatly inspires society negativily.

So Religion contributes more to society but also causes more problems.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Both have contributed to the development of society as a whole, however, overall, I would say science. Many, not all, religious beliefs tend to hold society back.
Yeah, this.

Science has given us a lot technological goodies. Religion has given us some pretty art.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Science and religion balanced out both contribute. Like Einstein said, science without religion is dull

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Science" for the win, Alex.

Religion contributes the same thing over and over and over--just the same ol', same ol', whereas science is continually trying to improve our lives. Religion isn't offering anything different then it did thousands of years ago--it's an undertaking in stasis. On the other hand science is a creative enterprise alive with beneficial possibilities.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Science and religion balanced out both contribute. Like Einstein said, science without religion is dull
Well, a cigar for being close.
icon14.gif
The exact quote is "science without religion is lame." However, we should never bet the farm on everything great minds say.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

A landslide victory for science.
In fact, some of the better functioning societies on the planet are mainly non-religious.
And I am prepared to back that statement up if anyone doubts it. ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Science would be paramount in its contributions to society without par.
Religion for a greater part, tends to be nonsensical delusion based on randomly and poorly made conclusions. An exception being made however in regards towards any of the various religious practices that interprets without becoming contrary and ignorant towards any facts and observances that have been established, and remains open on matters yet undetermined and changes accordingly whenever something is determined to be true and factual. That said, the general contribution from religions overall, both closed and open-minded, tends to benefit the emotional and holistic well being of any person who practices it.

Know it all.

Shaman.

Science gives us better boats and planes and nuclear missiles and etc but science does not have any productive concept of love or justice or forgiveness or etc.

It is religion that declares each individual as a child of God "endowed by the creator with inalienable rights ..." but science degrades every person as some level of an animal with nothing but animal instincts and science denies human rights.

Building a better space station is not building a better society.

:shout

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

:shout
(Other than the technology developed for the station that is used in other industries for improving lives):facepalm:

And religion will never cure disease, provide energy, purify wells etc, etc, etc

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Science gives us better boats and planes and nuclear missiles and etc but science does not have any productive concept of love or justice or forgiveness or etc.

Really? Have you checked?

It is religion that declares each individual as a child of God "endowed by the creator with inalienable rights ..."

We don't have rights. We have privileges that we allow one another and in most modern Western societies, which by the way are the most secular in history, these privileges stand stronger than ever.

but science degrades every person as some level of an animal with nothing but animal instincts and science denies human rights.

Newsflash: You ARE an animal. Taxonomically speaking, an ape.
In what way does science deny human rights? Science is a method of inquiry...not an ideology... :facepalm:

Would you say that the eradication of deadly diseases, the feeding of millions, the increased access to information, modern medicine and access to vast amounts of energy would help building a better society?

I always find it a bit rich when people bash science...on the internet.
If you don't like science I'm sure there are still some tribes in the Amazon or similar that will take you in. :sarcastic

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In my experience, the love, justice and forgiveness that religion offers is usually lacking as well.

It is religion that declares each individual as a child of God "endowed by the creator with inalienable rights ..."
Which religion would that be?

The predominant religion in the culture that produced that quote preaches that human beings have no inalienable rights at all: that we're all merely "pots" that our "potter" is completely free to use (or destroy) as he sees fit.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi Luis

Does religion in above statement signify buddhism too?

Actually yes, it does. :)

The trick is in understanding one's responsibility as a religious person (of whatever faith) to take proper care of one's own practice so that it does not become counter-productive.

There is a reason why we say that the goal of Buddhism is to finish Buddhism.

Of course, my statement is even more true for definitions of "religion" that center on beliefs instead of on practice of personal responsibility.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Actually yes, it does. :)
The trick is in understanding one's responsibility as a religious person (of whatever faith) to take proper care of one's own practice so that it does not become counter-productive.

There is a reason why we say that the goal of Buddhism is to finish Buddhism.

I agree almost ..... particularly the responsiblity part.

Budddhism is to take you to that state where Buddhism itself will not be required. But science has no such objective or pretension.

Science is useful -- again, when handled by responsible individuals. But it has a self limiting goal (i am borrowing from you). It will not help you to attain freedom from misery that is the stated goal of your religion, in your perspective. And that, more or less, is the the goal of every religion for its adherants.

To me there is no conflict between science and religion. Each has its application but religion comes to aid when science does not help to mitigate the problems and misery that arise of ego and its actions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I agree almost ..... particularly the responsiblity part.

Budddhism is to take you to that state where Buddhism itself will not be required. But science has no such objective or pretension.

Science is useful -- again, when handled by responsible individuals. But it has a self limiting goal (i am borrowing from you). It will not help you to attain freedom from misery that is the stated goal of your religion, in your perspective. And that, more or less, is the the goal of every religion for its adherants.

To me there is no conflict between science and religion. Each has its application but religion comes to aid when science does not help to mitigate the problems and misery that arise of ego and its actions.

I don't really disagree, but I want to emphasize that not everything that presents itself as a religion is necessarily healthy. And not every genuine religion is really healthy for everyone.