• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I think that is why religion has become so vital to minority communities.

Has it?
Which minority communities?
Based on which study?

Watson and Crick used science to make racism a viable philosophy.

Did they?
How so?

Many agreed, since genetics is unchanging.

Is it?
Who agreed?
According to what study?

At least with religion, one can interpret its meanings.

Can one?
What interpretation would that be?

atanu

Premium Member
Which one has developed this society?

Developed computers, technology, medicine and life saving medical care?

Are religion or science entities that have conscience, intelligence, energy and will to develop society?

Men, endowed with conscience, intelligence, energy and will continually develop society. But i at least, know that i did not bring forth conscience, intelligence, energy and will that assist this body to carry out all functions.

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

Because of my bias; science is the easy answer.

Yet, in fairness, there is no easy answer for more without further clarification; and as long as there is not detriment, what matter?

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Has it?
1) Which minority communities?
Based on which study?

2)Did they?
How so?

3) Is it?

Who agreed?
According to what study?

4) Can one?
What interpretation would that be?

Jar I hope you don't mind me I numbered your comments.

1) I was speaking from my own experiences and experiences of other people I have interviewed from different ethnic backgrounds. Latinos, Africans, African-Americanz, and others commonly use their religion as a central tenant of faith in the unknown, which has helped utilize their entire being. You can see in murals, churches, gatherings, and even personal interactions.

2) Well a bit of misinformation about Crick, but Watson was a proponent that Africans were genetically less intelligent than whites or in this case westerners, see the following:

Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners - Science, News - The Independent

3) If you were quoting me about "many agreeing with what watson said" it would be quite obvious since in those times minorities were thought of as inferior see: New Page 1

4) The meaning such as the purpose of life I suppose.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Jar I hope you don't mind me I numbered your comments.

Not at all. :)

1) I was speaking from my own experiences and experiences of other people I have interviewed from different ethnic backgrounds. Latinos, Africans, African-Americanz, and others commonly use their religion as a central tenant of faith in the unknown, which has helped utilize their entire being. You can see in murals, churches, gatherings, and even personal interactions.

Do you see this as an expression more of religion or of culture and thus an attempt to hold on to one's heritage?
This is relevant because while religion and culture often are connected to a high degree, they do have a somewhat differing impact.

2) Well a bit of misinformation about Crick, but Watson was a proponent that Africans were genetically less intelligent than whites or in this case westerners, see the following:

It would appear, according to the article, that Watson has very little in the way of empirical evidence in this matter, so I think we can safely disregard his opinion, and in either case, intelligence is a fickle beast to research at the best of times.

But more interestingly, what if we were, hypothetically, to find that he is right?
Or what if we found that, say, Asians were more intelligent than Caucasians?
Wouldn't you want to know?
Maybe we could find the cause for this discrepancy?
Maybe we could compensate for it in the educational system?

In my book more information is always better than less, and I want the truth no matter if it is positive or negative.

3) If you were quoting me about "many agreeing with what watson said" it would be quite obvious since in those times minorities were thought of as inferior see:

Ah. Now I understand what you meant by that sentence.

4) The meaning such as the purpose of life I suppose.

But religion cannot tell you what the meaning of life is.

Orias

Left Hand Path
It would appear, according to the article, that Watson has very little in the way of empirical evidence in this matter, so I think we can safely disregard his opinion, and in either case, intelligence is a fickle beast to research at the best of times.

I would second that :D

But more interestingly, what if we were, hypothetically, to find that he is right?

That would be very scary :eek:

Or what if we found that, say, Asians were more intelligent than Caucasians?

That would explain a lot. (JK)

Wouldn't you want to know?

That depends on how conducive this "knowledge" is. But then again, what "knowledge" isn't beneficial?

Maybe we could compensate for it in the educational system?

I would say, it take leaps and bounds.

In my book more information is always better than less, and I want the truth no matter if it is positive or negative.

Of course, though "truth" has an adversary about it, let's just say perception, no matter if it is positive or negative. I completely agree with you under the circumstance that "truth" is to the individual and "positive" or "negative" is also in accordance to the individual.

But religion cannot tell you what the meaning of life is.

But it can, if you believe in it.

Religion can tell you the meaning of life just as much as a rock can.

In reality it's all belief, all of it.

Eat, sleep and poop. That's the meaning of my life :D