• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What contributes more - science or religion???

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Decided to start a new thread after reading some comments on a previous thread I started.

What do you consider contributes more to a society, science or religion?

I'm a little late to the party, but it is unquestionably science.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Sure I am. Freedom of speech also protects parents even when they're teaching their children hate. Parents shouldnt teach their children hate but doesn't mean they don't have a right to nor should they be restricted to teach their children hate.

But seeing as I said 'violent' racists, wouldn't that make them guilty of incitement to violence?
I dunno how you guys do it but in Norway incitement to violence is illegal.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
But seeing as I said 'violent' racists, wouldn't that make them guilty of incitement to violence?
I dunno how you guys do it but in Norway incitement to violence is illegal.

Ok incitement of violence is one thing but if parents teach their kids racism who cares?

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
The only real time I would care is if the parent was a public servant.

Yeah of course but hey I have been in situations where a cop stopped me (after I got out on active duty) and stopped me for no reason told me to put my hands on the hood of his car while it was running and while telling him his car is hot he told me "I thought YOU boys like barbecue?" So yeah I agree

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
i do. you don't really?

disregard....i just read your post above mine.

Not really......

Been called the "n word" so much from adolescent to adult hood and have had friends being disrespected racially its almost a hard shell. For example when I lived in Arizona I used to fight and beat little white kids up all the way to their house because I was called a "nigglet" lol Bug it took the intelligence of my mother to tell me "you can't fight the whole world, and you can't control the intelligence of other but you can control your own response to the.lack of intelligence of others." I quickly learned that hatred of that sort is a by product of their own individual value. If other human beings cannot appreciate and value other humans because of their skin pigmentation then you can only look at them with disdain and keep it moving

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not really......

Been called the "n word" so much from adolescent to adult hood and have had friends being disrespected racially its almost a hard shell. For example when I lived in Arizona I used to fight and beat little white kids up all the way to their house because I was called a "nigglet" lol Bug it took the intelligence of my mother to tell me "you can't fight the whole world, and you can't control the intelligence of other but you can control your own response to the.lack of intelligence of others." I quickly learned that hatred of that sort is a by product of their own individual value. If other human beings cannot appreciate and value other humans because of their skin pigmentation then you can only look at them with disdain and keep it moving

your mom is wise...

i especially agree with this.
hatred of that sort is a by product of their own individual value

i guess my problem is when hate manifests itself into laws...

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I do.

We have enough dysfunctional people in society.

Wow.....well good luck. You'll be ****** off your whole life. I think its different for me since growing up and have had society.(including scientist.like Watson) who believed blacks were inferior genetically.I just don't care. I control my own actions and how I respond to others
I suggest you do the same my man

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
your mom is wise...

i especially agree with this.

i guess my problem is when hate manifests itself into laws...

Agreed and waitosec guess.what my mom got her values from religion! (Waits for waitosec to google a comeback) lol jk

I agree with you in that when hate goes from opinion to action is a problem. Same thing with.christian fundamentalist who shoot up abortion clinics. A christian can hate abortion all they want, but as soon as you take a glock 9 to a physicians head because he or she is doing their job is a problem.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Agreed and waitosec guess.what my mom got her values from religion! (Waits for waitosec to google a comeback) lol jk

:D...

I agree with you in that when hate goes from opinion to action is a problem. Same thing with.christian fundamentalist who shoot up abortion clinics. A christian can hate abortion all they want, but as soon as you take a glock 9 to a physicians head because he or she is doing their job is a problem.

1 thess 4:10...
Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders, and so that you will not be dependent on anybody....

:sarcastic

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Wow.....well good luck. You'll be ****** off your whole life. I think its different for me since growing up and have had society.(including scientist.like Watson) who believed blacks were inferior genetically.I just don't care. I control my own actions and how I respond to others
I suggest you do the same my man

I think it is important to address issues like this and expose them for what they are, child abuse.
That doesn't mean I'm ****** off all the time.
While there is more than enough to be angry about there are also lots of things to be happy about. ;)

Orias

Left Hand Path
Not really......

I agree completely. Just because a door is presented does not mean that one must enter it.

But it's a shame that racism seems to prevail as a subcategory of narrow mindedness. It must be a by-product of blood hungry doctrines.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I agree completely. Just because a door is presented does not mean that one must enter it.

But it's a shame that racism seems to prevail as a subcategory of narrow mindedness. It must be a by-product of blood hungry doctrines.

To bring it back to the subject of the thread, I think that is why religion has become so vital to minority communities. Watson and Crick used science to make racism a viable philosophy. Many agreed, since genetics is unchanging. At least with religion, one can interpret its meanings.

Im an Atheist

Biologist
Decided to start a new thread after reading some comments on a previous thread I started.

What do you consider contributes more to a society, science or religion?

Which one has developed this society?

Developed computers, technology, medicine and life saving medical care?