• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Debate Tactics Rub You the Wrong Way?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Agree with me :slap: doggone it , you know I'm always right.......the trouble is everyone else thinks they are right too! :p

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Having gone through a recent bludgeoning into submission, this is fast becoming my least favorite style. When someone wishes to disengage: LET THEM!

Alceste

Vagabond
Ooh, I thought of another annoying one: the "snip and rebut" method of chopping a post up and responding to every single sentence in a post as if it were an argument in and of itself. It's especially annoying if it provokes a counter-snip where the comments are subdivided even further. Can't always be avoided if someone has asked a string of questions, but nevertheless...

Far better, IMO, to respond to the general thrust of a statement in a single post which addresses the main concept being expressed.

I'm also not a fan of the "you didn't answer my question" approach, where the question is not repeated and everything else that was said is dismissed because some mystery question wasn't answered.

tomspug

Absorbant
Ooh, I thought of another annoying one: the "snip and rebut" method of chopping a post up and responding to every single sentence in a post as if it were an argument in and of itself. It's especially annoying if it provokes a counter-snip where the comments are subdivided even further. Can't always be avoided if someone has asked a string of questions, but nevertheless...

Far better, IMO, to respond to the general thrust of a statement in a single post which addresses the main concept being expressed.

I'm also not a fan of the "you didn't answer my question" approach, where the question is not repeated and everything else that was said is dismissed because some mystery question wasn't answered.
Ugh, I hate when people do that. To me, it just shows that you actually are more interested in being right than anything else.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ugh, I hate when people do that. To me, it just shows that you actually are more interested in being right than anything else.

Also seems like it's more about trying to berate somebody into giving up than communicate a well-illustrated point. I find it's more common in the "you're wrong" crowd than the "I'm right" crowd. People who have an opinion they believe (with good reason) to be sound can usually conjure up a coherent statement relating to it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I tend to get annoyed when people use arguments that I don't understand. That's cheating.