• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do All Religions Have In Common?

rojse

RF Addict
As the title of the thread states, what do all religions have in common? What aspects of a religion make it a religion?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
In my comparative world religion class we defined religion as; containing the belief in a higher power, and ways to relate to that higher power. Obviously not a perfect definition especially with some more modern religions, but that is what usually constitutes a "world religion".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
There are many attributes that most religions have in common, but if you're talking about all religions, I'd say the only common characteristic is, to quote Leoben from BSG, "this is not all that we are."

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
They all provide understanding for the mysteries that we do not understand. At the root of all religion - death. What happens when we die. Few are the people who are comforted or at ease with the notion that we cease to exist, our bodies decompose, and it is as though we never were. For the vast majority, that idea is terrifying. It makes us fear our own death, and the death of those whom we love.

Religion provides comfort - an assurance that better things await, that loved ones are in a better place, that the unjust have been punished. Every religion varies on what happens, but every religion has something to explain it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
One thing all religions have in common is that not a single religion recognizes the existence of snerkles. Not one! Why is that? Is there a conspiracy to deny the existence of snerkles?

rojse

RF Addict
One thing all religions have in common is that not a single religion recognizes the existence of snerkles. Not one! Why is that? Is there a conspiracy to deny the existence of snerkles?

There are hardly any hits for it in Google, either. There's some dude that calls himself Snerkle, and that is about it. There is definitely a conspiracy.

rojse

RF Addict
Greetings!

Well, for starters, the scriptures of EVERY great religion (as well as a number of other sources) include the Golden Rule!

Peace, :)

Bruce

1. What is the Golden Rule?
2. What about organisations that don't feature the golden rule? Are they automatically not a religion? And those that do are automatically a religion?

As the title of the thread states, what do all religions have in common?

Quran says in surat 3 verse 64

Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah. that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah.s Will).

rojse

RF Addict
Quran says in surat 3 verse 64

Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah. that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah.s Will).

Have you even read the OP, or is this just a drive-by post? Because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of the thread.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Bruce said:
The scriptures of EVERY great religion (as well as a number of other sources) include the Golden Rule!

1. What is the Golden Rule?
2. What about organisations that don't feature the golden rule? Are they automatically not a religion? And those that do are automatically a religion?

In its best-known formulation, it's:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"

It's worded in different ways in the various scriptures, but the point remains the same.

And as I trust would be obvious, whether an organization does or doesn't feature the Golden Rule has nothing to do with whether or not it's a religion!

Nonetheless, as I pointed out, ALL the great religions do indeed state this rule in their scriptures! (Quotes upon request.)

Bruce

Morse

To Extinguish
Greetings! :)

In its best-known formulation, it's:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"

It's worded in different ways in the various scriptures, but the point remains the same.

And as I trust would be obvious, whether an organization does or doesn't feature the Golden Rule has nothing to do with whether or not it's a religion!

Nonetheless, as I pointed out, ALL the great religions do indeed state this rule in their scriptures! (Quotes upon request.)

Bruce

That is a poor qualifier for a "great" religion, and that is not the question proposed in the thread in any case. The question was, what makes something a religion. You posted what factor you say is needed by a religion for it to be "Great". Now if you would please list all the "Great" religions out there (All those that are great from your perspective).

I believe that scripture and names have nothing to do with what makes something a religion. Books, Idols, and prayer do not make a religion. The one thing all religions have, even if you call atheism a religion, is faith. Under every documented circumstance, a person is putting their faith into something they cannot fully understand or explain.
If we were discussing this 200 years ago, my definition would be radically different, but as time has progressed, the concept of religion has become less specific and is more ambiguous today than it was a century or so ago.