• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do Atheist Believe?

Colt

It seems to me that Atheists are most concerned with proof. Not only that they typically want it handed to them on a silver platter served by an angel from heaven. I mean don't get me wrong, all of us would probably love for that to happen, but what I am curious to know is: Is there anything that Atheist believe in? I mean, does an atheist live life expecting everything to be explainable.... factual.... proven? Is there anything, metaphysical or physical, that they actually believe in or do they just rely on their concrete proof and knowledge? If they do believe in something... anything? Why? I'm curious.
There are different kinds of Atheists. An Atheist that joins a religious forum to heckle religious people isn't simply neutral, they are promoting a "belief" in a Godless universe and seek to undermine religious faith.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There are different kinds of Atheists. An Atheist that joins a religious forum to heckle religious people isn't simply neutral, they are promoting a "belief" in a Godless universe and seek to undermine religious faith.

Or in my case I am religious and fighting of Satan and that you and I go to Hell. ;)
The problem is that some of the atheists have a limited point about religion, that is important for how I believe as religious.

Colt

Or in my case I am religious and fighting of Satan and that you and I go to Hell. ;)
The problem is that some of the atheists have a limited point about religion, that is important for how I believe as religious.
"fighting of Satan and that you and I go to Hell."? explain

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It seems to me that Atheists are most concerned with proof. Not only that they typically want it handed to them on a silver platter served by an angel from heaven. I mean don't get me wrong, all of us would probably love for that to happen, but what I am curious to know is: Is there anything that Atheist believe in? I mean, does an atheist live life expecting everything to be explainable.... factual.... proven? Is there anything, metaphysical or physical, that they actually believe in or do they just rely on their concrete proof and knowledge? If they do believe in something... anything? Why? I'm curious.
I can't speak for other atheists, only for myself.

I don't require "proof" for everything I accept as correct. That would be impossible.
What I do require is reasonable justification to accept things as correct. What that would look like also kind of depends on the claim being made and the potential impact of accepting it as correct, even if only tentatively.

The more extra-ordinary the claim, the more extra-ordinary the justification will have to be.

Don't we all approach life this way? From the benign claim all the way to the existential one?
It in fact seems to me that theists tend to throw those basic rules overboard when it comes to their religious dogma.

Frequently when I talk with theists, especially the more fundamentalistic ones, it seems to me that they'll happily accept certain reasoning when it agrees with their religious beliefs, while they would reject the same kind of logic when it comes to anything else, every-day-life kind of claims.
That to me smells like a double standard for what you accept as "reasonable justification" to accept certain claims or propositions.

Me, I approach religious claims just like any other extra-ordinary claim.
I see no rational justification to accept those claims.
So, I don't.

And that makes me an atheist.
That's pretty much it.

wellwisher

Are Atheists apolitical, since politics panders to emotions, more than it does to reason; political agnostic. The abortion issue is not a rational issue but closer to a religion. Since emotion is so high, it cannot be fully addressed by science to settle this. The panic that showed up when abortion was limited, was not rational.

In terms of faith, faith is the belief in things not seen. How many Atheists thought the Russian Collusion Coup in the USA was real and not just a fairly tale, as it turned out to be? Did reason and science help the atheists get it right, as a whole? It appears that faith, in a fairy tale, can affect even the Atheists. There are other forms of religions that are not defined as such. They makeup fairly tales like Russian Collusion.

Faith is an important part of all innovation. All new ideas are first felt with intuition; emotion and reason, often years before they become part of reality; become available to the sensory systems of those who have to see to believe. The iPhone was in the imagination of Steve Job and Apple developers for years, via faith, before the first production models. Faith often reflects the best in humans, often when those who can only see with their eyes, cannot yet see, and try to destroy; fear of novelty.

How did so many religious people do better, with the Russian Collusion fairy tale, then did many of the Atheists? Why did the Atheists have so much faith in this scam without any real proof? Was that due to a religious faith affect, that they did not see or did not want to see?

We need to redefine religion so it includes fairy tales religions, like the Collusion delusion. Atheism appear to wait and see what classic Religion does, and then do the opposite. This may involving picking fringe religion fairly tales, sold with politics and science if they conflict with classic religion. Not all ideas in science pan out. Many stop at faith; perpetual motion machines.

My approach to religion and science is practical. The ancient people had the wisdom of human nature. I attempt to translate what they knew in terms of modem understanding and science. For example, the science dating of civilization and written language coincide with the 6000 year timing of Genesis. This is not a coincidence.

Humans change away from being herders, wanderers and gatherers, to more like squatters and farmers. This drastic change of human behavior away from a million years of evolution; wandering, suggests a major update in the brain's operating system, away from the natural instincts of a million years of wandering. What appears, suddenly, was a new type of human with new behaviors; more will and choice apart from instinct. Religions deals with this new type of human. Many have ancient books that were around to see and gather data, from those times. Mythology tells us things about the layout of the brain firmware.

I could never understand why Atheists could not see the value in this transitional data, but feel a strong need to suppress it. I suppose this makes it easier to become unnatural, since of there is divide in their minds, by those very people who saw the update, and recorded the changing of the times. Unnatural; social constructs, also explains their drift, Left and their dual standards for faith in fringe religions, not sold as religion, to escape the same oversight.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

I used to be an atheist. In retrospect I can see I believed in the unbelievable. Not wishing to light the blue touch paper for other atheists to start ranting but as an atheist I personally would babble endlessly to Christians in my family and anyone that tried to evangelise me that science had all the answers. Thankfully I’m an awakened born again Christian and can now see this is a fantasy belief.
So now you babble endlessly to non-Christians here that your religion has all the answers. ;)

Seriously, any flaws in your character in the past can't be blamed on atheism, just as any flaws in your character now can't be blamed on theism. (Please note I wrote theism there, not religion . Theism is just what you happen to believe, religion is what you choose to do about it.)

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
So now you babble endlessly to non-Christians here that your religion has all the answers. ;)

Seriously, any flaws in your character in the past can't be blamed on atheism, just as any flaws in your character now can't be blamed on theism. (Please note I wrote theism there, not religion . Theism is just what you happen to believe, religion is what you choose to do about it.)
You have chosen to write nearly 5000 posts here under this particular username since 2010 according to your profile and state you have no religion- a committed religious atheist if ever there was one. Why didn’t you commit your time to a non-religious forum in 2010? Please note I have neither babbled or told you I have all the answers.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You have chosen to write nearly 5000 posts here under this particular username since 2010 according to your profile and state you have no religion- a committed religious atheist if ever there was one. Why didn’t you commit your time to a non-religious forum in 2010? Please note I have neither babbled or told you I have all the answers.

What is a religious atheist?

Apostle John

You didn't answer. What is religious to you?
I did answer but will further elaborate. The well known atheist Stephen Fry was interviewed on uk channel 4 news a few weeks back, to publicise a documentary which had nothing to do about the church or atheism. Yet within minutes he brought up he was an atheist and stated that Peter Tatchell was right to be militant against the Church declaring this to be righteous and good. This is religious atheist behaviour.

HonestJoe

You have chosen to write nearly 5000 posts here under this particular username since 2010 according to your profile and state you have no religion- a committed religious atheist if ever there was one. Why didn’t you commit your time to a non-religious forum in 2010?
I also post on non-religious forums and I don't primarily post here from a purely atheist point of view. That I don't believe in any gods isn't the driving factor, I'm more interested in the practical implications of faith and religion rather than any core beliefs. In fact, I generally only mention atheism in the context of threads like this specifically asking about it, because I tend to find such labels either meaningless or divisive (which is part of my position on this thread, including my reply to you).

Please note I have neither babbled or told you I have all the answers.
I did put a smilie there to indicate that was a light-hearted comment, though I will suggest that you would have probably denied babbling or claiming to have all the answers back when you were an atheist too. :cool:

My serious point remains, that any behaviour by a person who happens to be (a)theist doesn't automatically mean it was caused by their (a)theism.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I did answer but will further elaborate. The well known atheist Stephen Fry was interviewed on uk channel 4 news a few weeks back, to publicise a documentary which had nothing to do about the church or atheism. Yet within minutes he brought up he was an atheist and stated that Peter Tatchell was right to be militant against the Church declaring this to be righteous and good. This is religious atheist behaviour.

Okay, but not all atheist are like that. So I wouldn't call it atheistic.

Apostle John

I also post on non-religious forums and I don't primarily post here from a purely atheist point of view. That I don't believe in any gods isn't the driving factor,
By definition, you don’t have to believe in any gods to have a religion and therefore be religious.