• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do the gods worship?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically they wouldn't be gods to themselves though, they're just themselves to themselves

In all mythologies that I am familiar with, the gods understand their position in the universe. They know they are gods and they are aware of who is worshiping them.

shiki123

I am not really an educated person. I did poorly in school I admit. But isn't hierarchy just a human thing and not necessarily a more otherworldly thing. Say if there is a god/gods.
Sorry if I make no sense!:shrug:

religion99

According to Jainsm , you have to pass thorogh many stages of Godhood before achiving complete Godhood. Higher the stage , purer the thoughts and actions. A God at a lower stage will worship the Gods in the higher stages. It is that simple.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
If an entity were to perceive an order of existence higher than themselves, according to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, they might attempt to self actualise and develop themselves in such a way as to bridge that gap slightly, to make themselves more 'God-like' (as opposed to nicer or other specific vehicles we might perceive as being capable of achieving such empowerment) for example. We might consider this attempt to elevate themselves through specific methods, such as conforming with specific behaviours which are believed to be rewarded by some entity from that higher order.

If on the other hand they were to perceive no order of existence higher then themselves than they might instead focus on and strive towards self development or enhancement towards some state they envisaged as being more desirable to them than their current state. How such a state might be different from their current state is difficult for us to comprehend, however perhaps it would resolve around some sort of abstract concept or ideal, for example impartiality, kindness, retribution etc. We might consider this fixation on the concept or ideal to be a form of worship.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
I am not really an educated person. I did poorly in school I admit. But isn't hierarchy just a human thing and not necessarily a more otherworldly thing. Say if there is a god/gods.
Sorry if I make no sense!:shrug:

No, the ancient Hebrew documents, such as the Ascension of Isaiah which is mentioned in Chronicles 32:32 clearly refers to a hierarchy of the "angels", and "angels" are called gods, the Septuagint translates "Elohim" as "Angels" in Psalm 8:5 for example. The LORD is called the "god of the gods" in Psalm 136:2. He is also called "Most high god". Ancient Israelite belief was "Henotheistic". The word "Monotheistic" is a bit misleading, but its not "Polytheistic" either.

religion99

No, the ancient Hebrew documents, such as the Ascension of Isaiah which is mentioned in Chronicles 32:32 clearly refers to a hierarchy of the "angels", and "angels" are called gods, the Septuagint translates "Elohim" as "Angels" in Psalm 8:5 for example. The LORD is called the "god of the gods" in Psalm 136:2. He is also called "Most high god". Ancient Israelite belief was "Henotheistic". The word "Monotheistic" is a bit misleading, but its not "Polytheistic" either.

Can you define Henotheistic?

Erebus

In all honesty I doubt the gods have much stock in our concept of worship. Worship is a very human construct designed to help alleviate our own worries, establish power and countless other reasons.
Perhaps at times the gods also feel something akin to this need, perhaps not. They're as unique as us and probably far more complex so I don't think there's any straightforward answer.

blackout

Violet.
The Gods are Shaped (to Worth), by Us.

We in turn, GIVE Them the 'power/s' to re'form and trans'form Us,
and the entirety of our lives,
as we have decided We want (them) to Be.

ie, We reflect and Worship One Another.

Our Gods come into Being Through Us,
and Through them, We are re'formed/trans'formed/con'formed/in'formed.
(Depending...)
:shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Gods would possibly investigate where they originated, but they'd find the whole concept of worship to be a primitive affliction.
My guess is that they'd spend their time enjoying their ant farm, abusing its inhabitants, & scarfing down bacon.