• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you believe..religion or science?

kevinator815

So the other day me and my friend were talking about the movie called "Expelled" that came out on the 21, and how it is awesome how Ben Stein, the clear eyes guy is in a documentary movie about religion and science. Watching this movie made me think hat do I believe. Yeah the movie has a comedic approach to it but, it touches on some interest ideas. I am wondering if anyone has seen this movie? And what do you guys believe, science or is there a god. Check out the trailer of this movie to see what its all about. the trailer is funny.
[FONT=&quot]dailymotion.com/webgrab/video/11777375[/FONT]

Kevin

-Let me know.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree. I also believe it's telling that when the OP referred to Ben Stein, it wasn't as "Nixon speechwriter", as "Ferris Bueller's Day Off teacher", or even as "the host of Win Ben Stein's Money", but as "the Clear Eyes Guy"... I'm just not sure what it's telling.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What do I believe, religion or science?

More appropriately, do I believe in MYTHOLOGY or science?

Science hands down overrides most mythologies. BUT, mythology is still important, and indeed as real to us as any scientific fact. Read Joseph Campbell's Masks of God for more information on that. (I'm currently reading the first volume of it; I'm loving every word!)

Religion, however, is more than just a mythology; it's combined with philosophy, culture, laws... and those three are still as important to today's society as they were 2000 years ago.

So, religion minus the mythology I feel is just as valid as science.

So I believe both.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Religion is but the most ancient and honorable way in which men have striven to make sense out of God's universe. Scientists seek the lawfulness of events. It is the task of Religion to fit man into this lawfulness.

Arlanbb

I go along with science AND God, creater of the world, because they go hand in hand together. Where do you think the concepts of science came from, just out of the air. I'm not talking about the God of the Hebrew bible. Most of him is all man made up stuff.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I don't believe anything 100% unless I actually see it, like I believe that I have hair. I believe I'm sitting on a chair in a room with a window.

I do think that some scientific theories are probably true, but I don't believe in them 100%

like evolution, for example, I think that is probably a real thing that happens. But I have not seen evolution actually happen... so I don't believe in it 100% The same as I believe that the moon is probably really big, but I cannot believe 100% that it is, because I've only ever seen it as looking somewhat small.

As for God, souls, spirits, and those sorts of things, I don't believe them at all.

gnostic

The Lost One
It is silly question, because religion and science have different purposes.

But I'll play. :trampo:

In regarding to understanding of nature, I believe in biology, botany, zoology, anatomy, genetics, evolution, organic chemistry, geology, vulcanology etc.

In term of technology, I believe in physics, chemistry, engineering, etc.

For the understanding of the planets, stars and the universe, I would have to go with physics, astronomy and astrophysics.

In term of god's existence, I don't know. Still undecided, but since there are no evidences of his existence today, I would not believe in him until there are real evidences. He only exist in literature (eg. scriptures), in faith and belief from people, and in imagination. It doesn't help that the scriptures contained more myths, fables and allegory than facts. And for this reason, I have not chosen in religion.

Last edited:

tomspug

Absorbant
Neither religion or science deserve our faith... Our faith should be that which religion and/or science pertain to. For example, we should have faith in the philosophy of healing through science and against progress for progress's sake. And in religion we should have faith in the divinity which a religion is centered on, not the religion itself.

See how the focus is not on the institution, but on the heart. That is where faith belongs, in the realm of love.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Neither religion or science deserve our faith... Our faith should be that which religion and/or science pertain to. For example, we should have faith in the philosophy of healing through science and against progress for progress's sake. And in religion we should have faith in the divinity which a religion is centered on, not the religion itself.

See how the focus is not on the institution, but on the heart. That is where faith belongs, in the realm of love.

Very well said! Frubals!

gnostic

The Lost One
Something in the bible would only understand the people of its time and their relationship to God, the spiritual aspects. People can find comfort in religion, and may perhaps help deal with social problems. Religion may or may not teach about morality, but even that is limited, because people and society change with time, and don't deal with new crisis.

Even the history in the bible is spotty at best.

But the religion and the scripture do not provide me with any understanding about about how trees grow, or deal with diseases in animals or people, and religion don't deal physics, chemistry, biology and technology. It gives no understanding of weather, or how to predict them.

This is what science is use for.

I just believe that the religion and science are two separate things.

BruceDLimber

Greetings, greetings! :)

>Which do you believe: religion or science?

How about both?!

In the Baha'i view science and religion are NOT in contradiction, but rather dovetail very nicely!

Science may be said to explain the "how" of things, whereas religion explains "Who" and "why." They thus address different, largely non-overlapping domains, but come together nicely to form a complete whole!

The quickest way to get into trouble is to use either one without the other!: Science without religion is gross materialism (bigger and better nukes); religion without science is superstition (witch-burning).

And the Baha'i scriptures also say (sorry: I don't have the citation handy) that if a religious doctrine disagrees with established science, then that doctrine is simply wrong.

There is also this marvelous quote from 'Abdu'l-Baha in the Baha’i scriptures:

“[E]ven in Europe it is admitted that religion is the opponent of science, and that science is the destroyer of the foundations of religion. While the religion of God is the promoter of truth, the founder of science and knowledge, it is full of goodwill for learned men; it is the civilizer of mankind, the discoverer of the secrets of nature, and the enlightener of the horizons of the world. Consequently, how can it be said to oppose knowledge? God forbid! Nay, for God, knowledge is the most glorious gift of man and the most noble of human perfections. To oppose knowledge is ignorant, and he who detests knowledge and science is not a man, but rather an animal without intelligence. For knowledge is light, life, felicity, perfection, beauty and the means of approaching the Threshold of Unity. It is the honor and glory of the world of humanity, and the greatest bounty of God. Knowledge is identical with guidance, and ignorance is real error.

“Happy are those who spend their days in gaining knowledge, in discovering the secrets of nature, and in penetrating the subtleties of pure truth! Woe to those who are contented with ignorance, whose hearts are gladdened by thoughtless imitation, who have fallen into the lowest depths of ignorance and foolishness, and who have wasted their lives!”
—(Some Answered Questions, page 137)

Best, :)

Bruce

Elessar

Softmindedness often invades religion. ... Softminded persons have revised the Beautitudes to read "Blessed are the pure in ignorance: for they shall see God." This has led to a widespread belief that there is a conflict between science and religion. But this is not true. There may be a conflict between softminded religionists and toughminded scientists, but not between science and religion. ... Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.

The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Strength to Love (1963)

ThereIsNoSpoon

Watching this movie made me think hat do I believe
Science is more of a method to analyze nature and gain knowledge about the world. Religion is lots and lots of claims without consistent verifications and defacto contradicting reality. None deserve or require "faith".

madcap

Eternal Optimist
How can there possibly be anyone using a computer, posting on an internet bulletin board, answering this question with the answer "I don't believe in science?"

Not Bob

I don't believe anything 100% unless I actually see it, like I believe that I have hair. I believe I'm sitting on a chair in a room with a window.

I do think that some scientific theories are probably true, but I don't believe in them 100%

like evolution, for example, I think that is probably a real thing that happens. But I have not seen evolution actually happen... so I don't believe in it 100% The same as I believe that the moon is probably really big, but I cannot believe 100% that it is, because I've only ever seen it as looking somewhat small.

As for God, souls, spirits, and those sorts of things, I don't believe them at all.

Remember your chair is made out of microscopically tiny particles that are separated by alot of empty space. I believe we perceive the world in a certain way, but there is more than meets the eye, literally speaking.