• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Call Deity And Why?

uu_sage

Agreed. I also think that God is not God's name. It's just one of many metaphors we use to describe the experience beyond and within each sentient being. If I had to use a methaphor or a title some might be: Spirit of Life, Source of All Being, Nature's God (in Deist fashion), The Oversoul, Love, Nature, Goddess/God, Tao or Inner Light
BruceDLimber said:
I would suggest the name isn't important.

Many different names are used in the various languages and cultures, and all can equally well refer to what we Baha'is see as the One God!

"... By any other name would smell as sweet" and all that! . . .

Best,

Bruce

Kay

Towards the Sun
Sunstone said:
What is your preferred name for deity, and why do you prefer that name?

God or Goddess, depending on my mood. In more abstract terms - the One, the Absolute or the Infinite.

Hacker

Feathers in Hair said:
The Great Mystery. I like it because it pretty much sums up what I don't know about it, but love. Usually, though, in writing or conversation, I simply use "Goddess", because I find it helpful to remind myself of the female aspect of divinity.
That was very well said.
I just say "God.":shrug: Whoever he/she/it is.:p

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
If I'm talking about them to someone else, then either the God or the Goddess. If a specific aspect of them, then by their name (Artemis, Anubis, Keezosen etc.). In my own mind I don't name them, but I use feelings to get my message across as to whom I'm addressing. To me, they are the Unknown, the Unnamed... though I name them for the sake of conversation.