• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Collect?

Lightkeeper

The main thing I collect is rocks and crystals. I have a couple of indian artifacts from my searching and beachcombing. I have a few coins and some old jewelry.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Lightkeeper said:
The main thing I collect is rocks and crystals. I have a couple of indian artifacts from my searching and beachcombing. I have a few coins and some old jewelry.
I collect ideas! :D I'm making it a habit to write down anything interesting I think, and have a whole book of ideas I found interesting.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I collect many things - crystals, coins, and hippos would be the top three. I've been collecting hippos since I was about 6. Hippopotamus was the first 'big' word I could spell (Mississippi was the second lol). I don't buy every one I see now, but I have several boxes of them. Been thinking of culling them, since most haven't seen the light of day for about 5 years (nowhere to display them). My favourite is one I made out of clay about 9 years ago.

There was a competition on the local radio last year, you had to call in and tell them what you collect. I won, and was coined "The Hippo Lady". Won a slab of beer for my effort. :jam:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Bastet said:
Hippopotamus was the first 'big' word I could spell (Mississippi was the second lol).

I'm jealous, Bastet! I still can't spell those two words, hehee!

I'd say I collect books, but I'm not sure if it should be called that, or if 'hoarding' would be a better word. I enjoy representations of my totem animals, in any form. (It's hard, because I still enjoy stuffed animals. You'd think, once you'd hit 25, there would be some sort of chemical thing preventing that.) I love crystals, too, fluorite being my favorite.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
since most haven't seen the light of day for about 5 years

Animal Cruelty, SAVE THE HIPPOS!!! :)

I collect chinese art(vases, pots, weaponry, ancient artifacts, especially oriental dragons ect.); I am starting a strategy book collection(war not games :p), and am starting a biblical reasearch book collection.

I collect vinyl records (Lp's although I have some 45's)....I have some about 5,000.
I also collect fossils....both vertebrates (no dinosaurs, though) and invertebrates,

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
civilcynic said:
I also collect fossils....both vertebrates (no dinosaurs, though) and invertebrates,
Fossils sound fascinating (Hey! That alliterates!). Do you buy them or go out into the field to collect them yourself? If you go into the field, where do you like to go?

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
Fossils sound fascinating (Hey! That alliterates!). Do you buy them or go out into the field to collect them yourself? If you go into the field, where do you like to go?
I want to know the same thing.

Pah

Uber all member
I have some statues in a collection I call "Sorrowful man" both wood and stone. On my walls, I have oils and pastels from years of purchasing and my father's own artistic gifts. In the entertaiment center, there are crystal, pewter, brass, exotic wood, and bronze items and porcelain figures from Lladro (matte finish) and a commemerative piece from Kaiser of Germany

I hoard books too! Hat's too are in a corner - amongst that collection is a Danish fishermans cap, a French beret, a German hunting felt with a grand feather, a Stetson, an Aussie "outback" hat, a Russian fur hat, and a leather "cowboy" hat.

I gave my son-in-law my collection of German wine tasting glasses studiously collect at wine fests. His passion is glasses of all types; mine was the wine though the glasses are neat.

-pah-

Ceridwen018

When I was little I collected rocks and leaves that I thought were interesting or pretty. The rocks lasted, but the leaves dried up and fell apart, of course. I didn't have the heart to throw the old leaves away though, because 'd grown attached to them.

I kept my little collection in my bottom drawer in my room. To make a long story short, my mom eventually found them and...well, a drawer full of rocks and crumpled leaves wasn't her idea of good house management, so out the door they went! I tried maintaining my collection outside, but found that it was difficult telling my collection apart from everything else. So, I simply declared my entire backyard part of the collection. Hey, it made things a lot easier in some respects, although inventory was a foul mistress. ;)

Hope

Princesinha
When I was younger I collected Breyer model horses. My sister did as well, and between the two of us, we probably collected around 40-some or more. I still have all mine, though most are packed away. I'd collect them still, but the quality of the ones I see nowadays isn't quite the same, unfortunately.

Lightkeeper

Cute story, Ceridwen. That would have made a great journal entry. It sounds like your rocks were leaverite.

This is a rock that is a dud and your leave er right there.:)

QTpi

Mischevious One
My biggest collection is books. I love books. I have books everywhere. I also collect mugs. They cover my desk and the tops of the book cases.

When I was a kid I collected stamps.

Runt

Fairy statuettes, decorative boxes (wooden, stone, and tin)... oddly enough, these are not things I collect on purpose. I just keep getting them all the time from people, and since I don't MIND getting them (fairy figurines are sparkly and pretty and delicate and decorative boxes are useful for storing stuff) I keep them and put them on display. I guess friends and family, when they venture into Me Space, see these things and assume that I am actively collecting them, and thus provide me with more at holidays and birthdays.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
FeathersinHair said:
I'd say I collect books, but I'm not sure if it should be called that, or if 'hoarding' would be a better word.
I'm so guilty of that. :rolleyes: I read something, decide I love that author, then go and buy every book of theirs I see. I've recently started culling those too, in preparation for putting my stuff into storage. It's not easy...

FeathersinHair said:
I enjoy representations of my totem animals, in any form. (It's hard, because I still enjoy stuffed animals. You'd think, once you'd hit 25, there would be some sort of chemical thing preventing that.)
It's only in the last couple years that I've managed to stop myself buying stuffed hippos...and I'm 28. ;) Speaking of totems, I just did a head count in this room, and cats outrank hippos 11-7. Well, 12 if you count the real one.

FeathersinHair said:
I love crystals, too, fluorite being my favorite.
Tigereye is my favourite, with hematite a close second. :p

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Ceridwen018 said:
When I was little I collected rocks and leaves that I thought were interesting or pretty. The rocks lasted, but the leaves dried up and fell apart, of course. I didn't have the heart to throw the old leaves away though, because 'd grown attached to them.

I kept my little collection in my bottom drawer in my room. To make a long story short, my mom eventually found them and...well, a drawer full of rocks and crumpled leaves wasn't her idea of good house management, so out the door they went! I tried maintaining my collection outside, but found that it was difficult telling my collection apart from everything else. So, I simply declared my entire backyard part of the collection. Hey, it made things a lot easier in some respects, although inventory was a foul mistress. ;)
LOL! A similar thing happened to my feather collection...

Runt

HA! Books! There's something I didn't even think of... I definitely collect books!