• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Collect?

Sunstone said:
Fossils sound fascinating (Hey! That alliterates!). Do you buy them or go out into the field to collect them yourself? If you go into the field, where do you like to go?

I collect my own...Florida is one of the richest fossil sites in the US (except for dinosaurs as Florida is too young geologically). I love the outdoors and communing with nature, so I do alot of fossil hunting in and around river banks. I also keep my eyes open for areas where they are clearing for construction...the disturbed areas where the land is being overturned, retention pond or roads being cut.

I have never bought a fossil....I enjoy the hunt :). It is so calming and peaceful and I love the fact that I can find remnants of something that roamed the earth millions of years ago.

My best finds have been: a mammoth tooth, a whale earbone, pieces of ivory from a mammoth tusk and a megaledon tooth the size of my hand (these items were all found within 10-15 miles inland from the coast). I've also found some pottery shards, a scraper and a spear head from the early Indians (about 10,000 yrs. ago).

As far my record collection...Yes, I have the Bee Gees..then again I have Pearl Bailey and Ozzy Osbourne....a very ecletic collection:)