• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do when you are not here?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I do my share of the housework; since I am useless at cooking and ironing, I do the cleaning, gardening and DIY. My spare time is mostly spent on the computer, listening to music, watching hi-fi and "playing" at gaining IT skills.

I recently heard the definition of Parkinson's law (I forget whose definition it was); I had forgotten the "law", which states that whatever the manpower, the amount of work always seems to fill the day of the workers - however many more people are employed.

The amusing further explanation used an example of someone working - say in a factory, and the amount of work that person achieved, compared to that amount done by some little old lady, who spent the day writing a letter to a friend.

Of course, in the elderly lady's case, she spent much of the day finding her writing pad pen, then having to remember where she had put her reading glasses; finding those took her an hour or so. During her search for her glasses, she found a button she had meant to sew onto the dress from which it had come off (so whilst she knew where the button was, she did the job quickly there and then). The lady then went to write her letter, but found that she had taken off her glasses, and had put them down somewhere absent-mindedly - finding them took an other half an hour, during which she came across the cup of tea she had left half drunk - so she drank it down, and then decided to wash up the cup and saucer there and then.

Hence the writing of the one letter took the same amount of time as that of the factory worker, who had made, during the same period of time, a hundred odd pieces of equipment on the lathe on which he worked...

With age, my day is beginning to rapidly resemble the little old lady's achievements!!!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I yell at my oppositional and pessimistic son and try to get him to clean up after himself, and I spend considerable time pulling my hair out in frustration. Besides that, I like to dance, read, and do sudoku. It's my therapy.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Run the dance studio, promote the dance company, choreograph, teach, homeschool daughter, garden (veggie and herb), read, do various crafts like knitting, crocheting, quilting, etc., cook, and plan my takeover of the planet.

I want your life. What kind of dance? I do jazz, tap and line dancing.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am cleaning my car. My car is old so most of the time I'm good with how clean it is. Yesterday I went with my neighbor to The Y in her newish car. I said "wow, your car is so clean". She said "oh no it needs to be cleaned". So I'm cleaning my car today.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I pray, read, knit, watch TV, eat, sleep, pray more, do yoga, online gaming, watching anime, listening to metal, play children's card games, pray more...it's complicated...

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I pray, read, knit, watch TV, eat, sleep, pray more, do yoga, online gaming, watching anime, listening to metal, play children's card games, pray more...it's complicated...

I can't help but be very interested in this. Please tell us about the children's card games. You have not listed taking care of the children and it doesn't match the rest of it. I cannot guess who you are, young and possibly disabled or old and retired. Are you a grandmother listening to heavy metal music?

I am retired from paid employment spending too much time on forums and facebook.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I will tell you what I did today. I shall practice my typing.

Yesterday I did an antiques and crafts fair. The stuff was in the car overnight. I thought "the stuff is in the car, I'll do the flee market tomorrow" (that's today). I took my chances there were available tables there. There were. "How many do you want?" he says. (I do the math in my head). Usually I am cheap and I say just one please. This tiime I didn't feel cheap and the math says buy two, get one half off. "I'll take three for $25.00, please". I don't do the flee matket often, but I have always paid my way and made a little or a lot.

Don't you know, just because I was feeling not cheap today, nobody came.

I bought some buttons. I got what I thought was a good deal, fifty dollars. (don't throw away your old buttons, OK?). I gave her back one of the jars. The other one I kept. My occupation is sorting buttons so I had an empty jar I just bought that had buttons in it. I sold it for $5.00. I sold one knob for fifty cents.

Then nothing.

My friend from the button club came in. She bought two buttons for three dollars.

That's all I made. Eight dollars. I would have only made $3.50 if I had not bought buttons for fifty dollars. I'm down about a hundred as I bought some more stuff. But I had fun and it's weird and funny.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Depends on the day; If it just got done storming, and my friend is in town, we usually take his S10 out mudding (to end up getting it stuck every time, but worth it)

If it is a nice day outside, I sometimes walk around the woods.

If I don't feel like going outside I will watch movies or play video games, but if neither of those, I will be writing some stories.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Depends on the day; If it just got done storming, and my friend is in town, we usually take his S10 out mudding (to end up getting it stuck every time, but worth it)

If it is a nice day outside, I sometimes walk around the woods.

If I don't feel like going outside I will watch movies or play video games, but if neither of those, I will be writing some stories.

Thanks for sharing! Now would you like to share what sentence one means please?

S10 OH! It looked like it was $10 and I'm there what the?

S10 is a truck. (thanks google) What is storming please?

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I can't help but be very interested in this. Please tell us about the children's card games. You have not listed taking care of the children and it doesn't match the rest of it. I cannot guess who you are, young and possibly disabled or old and retired. Are you a grandmother listening to heavy metal music?

I am retired from paid employment spending too much time on forums and facebook.
I am 50 (I don't know if that's old or not) and I am disabled.

My girls are all grown up now and in their mid-late 20's and pretty much independent, so I no longer need to 'take care of them'...well, I still do.....you know what I mean. lol

When they were much younger, we would spend a lot of time together playing Pokemon, Magic: The Gathering, Yugioh! and World of Warcraft...all different card games.

They have since grown up and grown away from this, but I still enjoyed the games too much to stop playing them and I still do...mostly online now.

I am not a grandmother yet and don't expect to be one any time soon. Neither of my girls wish to get married or start a family in the near future. They are far too 'career minded' and want to do other things, like travel the world and such. Both are also unmarried and one is gay.

I've always loved Heavy Metal, ever since I was a kid and age hasn't mellowed me in that regard.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Last edited:

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I work three days a week, go to university on another and carry out research on the last. The two days off are filled with sleep, playing music, drinking wine, reading, studying, having fun.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
When I'm not running my business I am rehearsing with my brother. We're putting together a few songs from the late sixties-early seventies to play locally. I am in my sixties and this has been a goal of ours since we were young men. The only reason I am posting this is to let all you 'youngsters' know that it is never, never too late to follow a dream.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
- I plot revenge against those who've slighted me.
- I move around my machinery collection, trying to get everything just so.
- I scan the news for travesties so that I may come here to rail & roil against normal people.
- I continually disappoint Mrs Revolt, who wonders just what ever possessed her to stick with me.
- I grow me hostas, although they require no attention this time of year. I can't wait for May!

What would humanity do without me?