• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you get from being atheist?

Colt

Nobody is asking you to do that.
Just a couple examples will do.
The fact that you aren't doing it, shows that it's not as easy to find as you like to claim it is.

You could easily win the argument by SHOWING here how she is wrong, by actually providing a couple of links to example posts that show how these things you accuse atheists off are supposedly so common.

Instead of this back and forward peeing contest you seem to be insisting on.....

Nobody is asking you to do that.
Just a couple examples will do.
The fact that you aren't doing it, shows that it's not as easy to find as you like to claim it is.

You could easily win the argument by SHOWING here how she is wrong, by actually providing a couple of links to example posts that show how these things you accuse atheists off are supposedly so common.

Instead of this back and forward peeing contest you seem to be insisting on.....
Delusional

What are the best and worst things about heaven?

..."I have such little knowledge of historical religion that it's much easier for me to fool myself with confirmation bias and the delusional belief that lack of knowledge allows me to see the truth" could also be: "I am extremely fortunate I don't care at all about actual knowledge and...

Can we change our mind about what we believe?

...them. YET, at the same time you want others to accept a new religion just on faith, not even with evidence? That is so hypocritical and delusional it shows the hold these beliefs have on people. They ignore facts, expect people to do what they would never do. Guess what? Bahai is claiming he...

What is the threshold for labeling a religious belief as a “delusion”?

Hmmmm. Ignorance means a specific lack of knowledge. One in a state of ignorance may be unaware of their ignorance or to what extent they are ignorant. From my understanding, delusion is mental pathology, not mere persistence in holding on to false or incorrect belief. There are lots of...

(Religion) Which is more important: to be factually correct or to be content?

A good approach to mythology is realizing that such stories are meant to inspire and motivate, rather than the crazy delusional notion people have into thinking that such outlandish mythology is real and had actually occurred in real life.

Imaginary friends

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Parents are real. They were not imaginary friends where anytime you needed something you managed to get it and then gave credit to your imaginary parents. And when you didn't get it you used this post hoc rationalization that they "can't get you everything"? And when thou prayest, thou shalt...

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

Genuine laugh out loud! Comforting imaginary friends explains it perfectly well. Of course, one group may have got it right (it's not impossible) but that makes the others wrong. It's also possible that there's something there that they've all misinterpreted, but I see no reason at all to take...

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.
I'm sure there are many people who get similar benefits from talking to their imaginary friends.

Is it difficult to understand theists?

No imaginary friends. But kids know that they're imaginary. I encouraged mine to make up some. Oh, the hilarious misadventures they had.

Mocking in debates

As a heads up, we can (and have) infracted people for using this language. It's not okay with the rules in most (but not all) contexts.

Conversion after death

No, I’m rejecting the fantasy you’ve invented because it’s insulting. Leave the dead to rest in peace. Just stop it... unless you want me to start making up stories about what your dead relatives are doing with my imaginary friends these days.

Man made religion

Does Jesus ever talk back to you when you talk to him? I'm sorry, not to be too disrespectful, but I gave up my imaginary friend around 6 years old. It's like adult coloring books. I just don't have any interest in talking with imaginary friends.

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

I don't even trust my own Imaginary friends.

Why are you an atheist?

It doesn't stop theists from having imaginary friends, or posting in groups where they don't belong.

Fairy tails

How Can Anyone Not Accept This Biblical Prophecy as Real?

It's a tough question but I'll give it a shot. Because it is a book of fairy tails which includes, but is not limited to, walking on water, multiplying loafs, raising people from the dead and a host of other nonsense. Because the majority of the "prophecies" are either obviously always true...

Mormons; the Problem of Iron, Alcohol & the Wheel

...and speed of dissemination), only goes back (at most) into the 19th Century and has proven to be both a rapid and robust self correcting undertaking. . Instead you'll swallow whole fairy tails of angels, golden tablets and mighty cultures that left no trace of any sort ... makes really good...

Why I Am Not an Anti-Theist

...anti-theists, including the famous ones, will happily admit to having almost no knowledge of theistic belief systems (I stopped reading fairy tails when I was a kid...) and instead base their views on a stereotype of what they think theism is and a superficial, literalist reading of sacred...

Ghost rules.

Atheist don't believe in superstitious fairy tails! Why do you think Ghosts would exist? :rolleyes:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Delusional

What are the best and worst things about heaven?

..."I have such little knowledge of historical religion that it's much easier for me to fool myself with confirmation bias and the delusional belief that lack of knowledge allows me to see the truth" could also be: "I am extremely fortunate I don't care at all about actual knowledge and...

Can we change our mind about what we believe?

...them. YET, at the same time you want others to accept a new religion just on faith, not even with evidence? That is so hypocritical and delusional it shows the hold these beliefs have on people. They ignore facts, expect people to do what they would never do. Guess what? Bahai is claiming he...

What is the threshold for labeling a religious belief as a “delusion”?

Hmmmm. Ignorance means a specific lack of knowledge. One in a state of ignorance may be unaware of their ignorance or to what extent they are ignorant. From my understanding, delusion is mental pathology, not mere persistence in holding on to false or incorrect belief. There are lots of...

(Religion) Which is more important: to be factually correct or to be content?

A good approach to mythology is realizing that such stories are meant to inspire and motivate, rather than the crazy delusional notion people have into thinking that such outlandish mythology is real and had actually occurred in real life.

Imaginary friends

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Parents are real. They were not imaginary friends where anytime you needed something you managed to get it and then gave credit to your imaginary parents. And when you didn't get it you used this post hoc rationalization that they "can't get you everything"? And when thou prayest, thou shalt...

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

Genuine laugh out loud! Comforting imaginary friends explains it perfectly well. Of course, one group may have got it right (it's not impossible) but that makes the others wrong. It's also possible that there's something there that they've all misinterpreted, but I see no reason at all to take...

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.
I'm sure there are many people who get similar benefits from talking to their imaginary friends.

Is it difficult to understand theists?

No imaginary friends. But kids know that they're imaginary. I encouraged mine to make up some. Oh, the hilarious misadventures they had.

Mocking in debates

As a heads up, we can (and have) infracted people for using this language. It's not okay with the rules in most (but not all) contexts.

Conversion after death

No, I’m rejecting the fantasy you’ve invented because it’s insulting. Leave the dead to rest in peace. Just stop it... unless you want me to start making up stories about what your dead relatives are doing with my imaginary friends these days.

Man made religion

Does Jesus ever talk back to you when you talk to him? I'm sorry, not to be too disrespectful, but I gave up my imaginary friend around 6 years old. It's like adult coloring books. I just don't have any interest in talking with imaginary friends.

What is wrong with smashing the idols?

I don't even trust my own Imaginary friends.

Why are you an atheist?

It doesn't stop theists from having imaginary friends, or posting in groups where they don't belong.

Fairy tails

How Can Anyone Not Accept This Biblical Prophecy as Real?

It's a tough question but I'll give it a shot. Because it is a book of fairy tails which includes, but is not limited to, walking on water, multiplying loafs, raising people from the dead and a host of other nonsense. Because the majority of the "prophecies" are either obviously always true...

Mormons; the Problem of Iron, Alcohol & the Wheel

...and speed of dissemination), only goes back (at most) into the 19th Century and has proven to be both a rapid and robust self correcting undertaking. . Instead you'll swallow whole fairy tails of angels, golden tablets and mighty cultures that left no trace of any sort ... makes really good...

Why I Am Not an Anti-Theist

...anti-theists, including the famous ones, will happily admit to having almost no knowledge of theistic belief systems (I stopped reading fairy tails when I was a kid...) and instead base their views on a stereotype of what they think theism is and a superficial, literalist reading of sacred...

Ghost rules.

Atheist don't believe in superstitious fairy tails! Why do you think Ghosts would exist? :rolleyes:

How many days did it take to dig those out?

When i looked there were one or two but as i mentioned most were of religious folk dissing Atheists.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's something I put together over ten years ago. It's probably more properly entitled why being an atheist is better than being a Christian was:

BENEFITS OF IRRELIGIOSITY AND SKEPTICISM or WHY I EMBRACED ATHEISM

[1] Hope for man and the world. When I was a Christian, I thought we were all goners. It was always the end times, and we were all praying for Jesus to come again and destroy the earth. But now, I know that it is possible that man can go on until he evolves into something better, and then again.

[2] Freedom from fear of damnation. Freedom from fear of hell. Freedom from fear of Satan. Freedom from fear of demons and devils. Freedom from fear of my own thoughts.

[3] Freedom from the illusion of being constantly watched by an infantilizing nanny god - an angry, judgmental, authoritarian, smiting, overlord.

[4] When a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia sometime later today (and one will somewhere), you'll have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by any ghost.

[5] Respect for mankind, life, earth and the universe. Christianity teaches that animals are soulless meat bags to be exploited as man sees fit, and man a constitutionally diseased creature. Then it teaches that the whole material world including earth is made of a base substance - matter - which is only transitory. Christianity demeans mankind enough to make the phrase "the flesh" derogatory, and the material world enough to make the word "worldly" an insult.

[6] Freedom from an inferior intellectual system that despises science and erudition.

[7] Freedom from an ethic that defines love in terms of torture and crucifixion, or a pardon from eternal torment by an infinitely evil devil created by an allegedly loving god. The moral structure is deformed: Faith, obedience, worship and piety are not virtues. Justice, kindness, integrity, autonomy, responsibility, courage and compassion are. Christianity has no use for most of those.

[8] Respect for mankind. Christianity teaches that man is unworthy, inherently flawed, retched, unworthy, worthy of punishment from birth, and lucky as hell to be tolerated by the god. Christianity demeans man enough to make the phrase "the flesh" an insult. You can cast that gloom away.

[9] Relief from thousands of hours pointlessly wasted in churches, praying, and reading the bible, and thousands of dollars given to promoting religion. I have learned much more reading unknown numbers of better books than that one, I tasted the world, and I retired young. What's that worth?
Believe me when I tell you that I do not see atheists as being especially intelligent.
You're the guy who can't understand the distinction between not having a god belief and asserting that gods don't exist. You're willing to believe by faith. And you come onto the Internet with your litany of grievances against atheists complaining of mistreatment. How smart is any of that?
I'm defending theism AGAINST the constant onslaught of the atheists that come here telliing all the theists how ignorant and foolish they are for believing in things that the ever-so-smart atheists all seem to know are false without any evidence of it what-so-ever.
And here's an example of that now. This is you doing exactly what you accuse others of doing. It's YOU doing the attacking.

1704750612401.png

Colt

How many days did it take to dig those out?

When i looked there were one or two but as i mentioned most were of religious folk dissing Atheists.
I did it in about 15 minutes this afternoon before leaving the office. In the advanced search section one can find pages and pages of results.

Being an atheist, I can do lots of things theists can't. I can determine morality based on well-being, instead of a strict set of rules that aren't always moral. Or in Christianity's case, never moral. I can be friends with someone based on their character without worrying if they pray to the wrong God. I can realize bad things just happen without worrying if I didn't pray enough or I'm angering a god. I can learn facts about the world without worrying if they contradict my religion. I don't have to be afraid of hell because it doesn't exist. I can respect everyone without worrying if they pray to the right God. I can study/read anything without worrying if it contradicts my religion or angers God. I can love more completely because I don't have to put God first. I can be friends with a diverse set of people. I don't have to hate others simply because they don't believe like I do. I don't have to waste my time on useless endeavors like going to church or reading apologetics. I see what is actually true about the world instead of what my pastor tells me. I think the best part is academic freedom. As I already said, I can learn about the world without worrying if it contradicts my theology.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Being an atheist, I can do lots of things theists can't. I can determine morality based on well-being, instead of a strict set of rules that aren't always moral. Or in Christianity's case, never moral. I can be friends with someone based on their character without worrying if they pray to the wrong God. I can realize bad things just happen without worrying if I didn't pray enough or I'm angering a god. I can learn facts about the world without worrying if they contradict my religion. I don't have to be afraid of hell because it doesn't exist. I can respect everyone without worrying if they pray to the right God. I can study/read anything without worrying if it contradicts my religion or angers God. I can love more completely because I don't have to put God first. I can be friends with a diverse set of people. I don't have to hate others simply because they don't believe like I do. I don't have to waste my time on useless endeavors like going to church or reading apologetics. I see what is actually true about the world instead of what my pastor tells me. I think the best part is academic freedom. As I already said, I can learn about the world without worrying if it contradicts my theology.
Nice list. One reason I like atheists is because they help me think about things most theists don't think about since they are so mired in their beliefs.

Maybe I should have posted this on my thread:

But since you brought it up here...

As a theist I can do everything on your list except determine morality based only on well-being.
What is well-being is very subjective so that can lead to an "anything goes" kind of lifestyle, which I have no interest in.

As a theist who is a member of the Baha'i Faith:
  • I adhere to certain laws of God, which I believe set the standards for moral behavior.
  • There is nothing in these laws that prevent me from doing anything I would otherwise do, since I don't want to do what is unlawful.
  • I can be friends with someone based on their character without worrying if they pray to the wrong God.
  • I can realize bad things just happen without worrying if I didn't pray enough or I'm angering God.
  • I can learn facts about the world without worrying if they contradict my religion.
  • I don't have to be afraid of hell because it doesn't exist.
  • I can respect everyone without worrying if they pray to the right God.
  • I can study/read anything without worrying if it contradicts my religion or angers God.
  • I can love completely because I don't have to put God first, not unless I choose to.
  • I can be friends with a diverse set of people.
  • I don't have to hate others simply because they don't believe like I do.
  • I don't have to waste my time on useless endeavors like going to church or reading apologetics.
  • I can choose to go to meetings, including prayer meetings and study groups to study scriptures, but they are optional.
  • I see what is actually true about the world instead of what my anyone in the religious organization tells me.
  • I have complete academic freedom. I can learn about the world without worrying if it contradicts my theology.
  • In fact, I have spent many, many more years in college than I ever spent reading scriptures or attending religious activities.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't have to answer questions as to why do you believe in God - and give explanations that make any sense to me. :oops:

PureX

Veteran Member
You really don't understand what theism is, apparently, as you're only referring to a small fraction of religious adherents as though they are all theists. But this is typical of most atheists as doing this gives them a very handy strawman that they can feel superior to, and look down on, and criticize with smug impunity. Because that's really what most atheists are getting from their atheism.

wellwisher

I saw this question (or one very like it) over the last few days. I can't remember in which thread, or who asked the question, and it doesn't matter. But it does bring up something that I think is really important to the endless arguments between theists and atheists. (I'm not picking any particular theism, no individual religion.)

The reason the question is interesting is because it seems to make a deep assumption, but one that doesn't really seem appropriate -- and that deep assumption is that there is "something useful, something good, something valuable or precious" in holding a belief (or beliefs) about deities, and that the same must hold true about NOT holding such beliefs.

Let me try an example or two: if I don't have any theistic belief, I have my Sundays (or Fridays, or Saturdays or longer periods of religious observance) free. If I don't have any theistic belief, I am free to do anything I like (including murder and rape!).

This is analogically false!

I understand that having a belief in a loving deity, or a saviour, or an afterlife in a heaven or Valhalla can feel comforting and precious. I can see how having a set of rules (positive and negative) can feel as if difficult questions have been pre-decided or answered for you. I can even see how those rules might help you feel more comfortable rejecting -- or even mistreating -- those who aren't like you in those rules.

But here it is: there is nothing to be gained, nothing of value, nothing to provide comfort or guidance, in not believing in deities. We don't get anything from it. It doesn't comfort us, or frighten us. It demands nothing of us. It does not inform our morals any more than it informs our food preferences.

Which brings us the question that theists will immediately ask: "so why disbelieve, why not believe in a deity and gain all the benefits I feel I get?"

And the answer is perfectly simple: because we cannot change our belief on the basis of hoped-for benefits -- any more than theists can change their beliefs on the basis of a desire to be free of all those commandments and rules. To pretend to accept the idea of a deity gives us nothing, because it is pretense. The only thing that can change a deeply-held belief is convincing evidence to refute that which informs those beliefs. And therein lies a deep, deep blockage -- "convincing" is totally subjective: what convinces me isn't necessarily what convinces you.
I was originally a theist in my youth. My quiet thoughtful nature was in harmony with God. I became an adolescent atheist starting in my teens through college and grad school and about a decade beyond. After that I became more agnostic with a collective human psychology bent; blend of science and faith.

The reason I left theism, as a young person was the hippy generation had appeared at that time, and I wanted to take the lower road and not feel guilty at the many party options available. However, I did not over do it, but dabbled and lived precariously through the wild lives of my more extreme atheist peers; hang out with them but more from side lines; exempt from dares. What I gained was the ability to make less than optimized choices, and not feel any guilt. The guilt was more of less repressed for decades, but eventually it began to influence me. So I went back to the harder higher road of theological self control to purge my soul. Once I was clean again; update, I started to find a better balance between both worlds.

It too bad so many contemporary young people never had the opportunity to development the will power needed to walk the higher road. Their Atheist parents would not allow it due to their religion. Many youth do not know there are two roads and a difference. Too many young people assume there is one road, based on socially acceptability. But this does not optimize the natural human inside them; fragile snow flakes. I am happy I was able to have both experiences, and learn to find a path that allows me to walk the ridge; peaks and valleys of both theism and atheism (faith and reason).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I was originally a theist in my youth. My quiet thoughtful nature was in harmony with God. I became an adolescent atheist starting in my teens through college and grad school and about a decade beyond. After that I became more agnostic with a collective human psychology bent; blend of science and faith.

The reason I left theism, as a young person was the hippy generation had appeared at that time, and I wanted to take the lower road and not feel guilty at the many party options available. However, I did was not overlay out there, but try to live precariously through the wild lives of my more extreme atheist peers; hang but from side lines. What I gained was the ability to make less than optimized choices, and not feel any guilt. The guilt was more of less repressed for decades, but eventually it began to influence me. So I went back to the harder higher road of theological self control to purge my soul. Once I was clean again; update, I started to find a better balance between both worlds.

It too bad so many contemporary young people never had the opportunity to development the will power needed to walk the higher road. Their Atheist parents would not allow it. They do not know there are two roads and a difference. Too many young people assume there is one road, based on socially acceptablity, does not optimize the natural human inside them; snow flakes. I am happy I was able to have both experiences, and learn to find a path that allows me to walk the ridge; peaks and valleys of both theism and atheism (faith and reason).
I say the "higher road" is to eschew
belief that fairy tales are real,
& to behave ethically.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The reason I left theism, as a young person was the hippy generation had appeared at that time, and I wanted to take the lower road and not feel guilty at the many party options available. However, I did not over do it, but dabbled and lived precariously through the wild lives of my more extreme atheist peers; hang out with them but more from side lines; exempt from dares. What I gained was the ability to make less than optimized choices, and not feel any guilt. The guilt was more of less repressed for decades, but eventually it began to influence me. So I went back to the harder higher road of theological self control to purge my soul. Once I was clean again; update, I started to find a better balance between both worlds.

It too bad so many contemporary young people never had the opportunity to development the will power needed to walk the higher road. Their Atheist parents would not allow it due to their religion. Many youth do not know there are two roads and a difference. Too many young people assume there is one road, based on socially acceptability. But this does not optimize the natural human inside them; fragile snow flakes. I am happy I was able to have both experiences, and learn to find a path that allows me to walk the ridge; peaks and valleys of both theism and atheism (faith and reason).

The way you describe your reasons for going from theism to atheism to theism again doesn't sound to me like an actual change of belief.

And you speak about "willpower" as necessary for theism. In my experience, it takes no willpower at all to be convinced of something; it's an involuntary response.

If your sort of theism takes consistent willpower, I have to wonder if you're actually an atheist who has to try very hard to put on a theistic facade. That's the only way I can make sense of the relationship you describe between belief and will.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
that's really what most atheists are getting from their atheism.
You know nothing about atheists or atheism. You reveal that repeatedly.
What I gained was the ability to make less than optimized choices, and not feel any guilt. The guilt was more of less repressed for decades, but eventually it began to influence me. So I went back to the harder higher road of theological self control to purge my soul.
If you had self-control, you wouldn't need a god belief to do the right things. Nor would you have guilt for the way you had lived. I realize that many of you lean on your religious beliefs to remain upright, presumably by trying to avoid hell or gain heaven, or maybe to get a set of instructions on how to live, but many others don't need that. A god belief or a religion could only diminish such lives.
I am happy I was able to have both experiences, and learn to find a path that allows me to walk the ridge; peaks and valleys of both theism and atheism (faith and reason).
I've also tasted both worlds. Leaving theism for atheistic humanism was very successful and profitable. I consider the thousands of hours and dollars repurposed to activities that made life better than praying, reading holy books, and going to church did to be quite valuable. They're still paying dividends.

My bridge partner is an active Christian. He's been donating hundreds of hours to doing his church's books the last two years following an embezzlement. What a waste of his time, and quite a burden and imposition. It stresses him, and he could be studying bridge instead. And he gives them money, which would be better spent giving it to our bridge club or one of the animal shelters. I hope it doesn't get embezzled, but even if it isn't, it'll be used to support his church, which does nothing for the community.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
But here it is: there is nothing to be gained, nothing of value, nothing to provide comfort or guidance, in not believing in deities. We don't get anything from it. It doesn't comfort us, or frighten us. It demands nothing of us. It does not inform our morals any more than it informs our food preferences.

Which brings us the question that theists will immediately ask: "so why disbelieve, why not believe in a deity and gain all the benefits I feel I get?"
There is something to be gained from not believing - the overwhelming sense of superiority of being ultra-rational and ultra-intellectual. If you listen to Dawkins or Sam Harris, you immediately realize that they think they are the ultimately superior human beings who have not fallen for the cool-aid dished out by these cult-like religious institutions. (I personally like Sam Harris - very rigorous in his thinking while Dawkins is just a close-minded, fanatic)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is something to be gained from not believing - the overwhelming sense of superiority of being ultra-rational and ultra-intellectual. If you listen to Dawkins or Sam Harris, you immediately realize that they think they are the ultimately superior human beings who have not fallen for the cool-aid dished out by these cult-like religious institutions. (I personally like Sam Harris - very rigorous in his thinking while Dawkins is just a close-minded, fanatic)
You're projecting your sense of inferiority onto others as a sense of their superiority. Yes, atheistic humanism has been a superior worldview to Christianity, which I left as a young man, but in my estimation, it's superior to every other worldview? Does that make somebody like me feel superior for realizing this? In a sense, yes, but only in the sense that I feel fortunate to have escaped theism and religion. I also escaped a life of smoking by quitting young, which is analogous. Does having done that make me superior to a smoker? It's certainly a superior way to live, and probably inferior to having never smoked.

Yes, I take pride in being an atheist, a humanist, and a critical thinker. Why shouldn't I be? None of those just happens to people, and many if not most never achieve any of them. Religion is easy. Atheism takes some thought. It's not for everybody. It's easier to believe in a god than not. Being an atheist means that there is no devil to blame, no expectation of reuniting with deceased loved ones, no personal protection from the cosmos, only one life to live, personal responsibility for one's choices, nobody watching over you or answering your prayers, marginalization in a theistic society, and no easy explanations for our existence.

To the theist I say, try standing up like the bipedal ape you were born to be, and look out into the universe, which may be almost empty, and which may contain no gods at all. And then face and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years, that you may be vulnerable and not watched over. Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finitude, of consciousness ending with death, of maybe not seeing the departed again.

Accept the reality of your likely insignificance everywhere but earth, and that you might be unloved except by those who know you - people, and maybe a few animals. Because as far as we know, that's how it is. And you will live a more authentic and comfortable life for having done so. Atheists don't worry about sin or hell or pleasing gods, don't believe false and unfalsifiable things by faith, and aren't asked to support religious bigotries, shun the world, praise anti-intellectualism, lust for an apocalypse, or hope for the eternal punishment of those who don't believe like they do.