• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you know about the Mormon religion?

NoraSariah

Based on what you've heard/seen/read, whether on this thread or not, what do you know or have heard about the Mormon religion?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I have Mormon friends and I'm fairly versed in the doctrine. I have to say that my Mormon friends are the nicest, healthiest bunch of people you could meet.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Based on passing encounters with Mormon practitioners, there seems to be a trend in favor of language-learning and what I might call uninvited cultural misappropriation. For instance, at various cultural events in my city, LDS members will don the traditional garb of whichever culture is being represented, learn the language, and set up a booth where they attempt to recruit members from that culture. While I respect the efforts to learn the language of the people with whom one is attempting to communicate, on the other hand, I consider it disrespectful to show up uninvited and dress up as a member of a culture that is not one's own (for instance, Hmong culture) solely for the purpose of appearing more approachable to members of that culture who are targeted for conversion.

This, however, is based on not knowing any practicing LDS members personally, nor hearing their explanation for this trend that I've observed in my limited experience with Mormons. I am willing to learn. If there's anyone who knows more about this trend, please correct my misunderstanding.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Based on passing encounters with Mormon practitioners, there seems to be a trend in favor of language-learning and what I might call uninvited cultural misappropriation. For instance, at various cultural events in my city, LDS members will don the traditional garb of whichever culture is being represented, learn the language, and set up a booth where they attempt to recruit members from that culture. While I respect the efforts to learn the language of the people with whom one is attempting to communicate, on the other hand, I consider it disrespectful to show up uninvited and dress up as a member of a culture that is not one's own (for instance, Hmong culture) solely for the purpose of appearing more approachable to members of that culture who are targeted for conversion.

This, however, is based on not knowing any practicing LDS members personally, nor hearing their explanation for this trend that I've observed in my limited experience with Mormons. I am willing to learn. If there's anyone who knows more about this trend, please correct my misunderstanding.
That's totally bizarre. :eek: I've been a Mormon all my life and have never heard of such a thing. The LDS Church does have an enormous missionary program which extends throughout the world, and missionaries sent to foreign countries obviously have to learn the language of the country they'll be sent to. They are also encouraged to learn about the culture of the people they'll be living among and to respect that culture. As far as learning a language, dressing up like people of a different culture and setting up a proselytizing booth, I've never seen anything like that or -- until I read your post -- heard anything like it from anybody! You're absolutely sure this is the Mormons you're talking about?

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
The pamphlet they gave me said Latter Day Saints on it. Maybe it was an unofficial fringe group?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The pamphlet they gave me said Latter Day Saints on it. Maybe it was an unofficial fringe group?
I don't know. I've just never heard of it being done before. I agree that it wasn't a particularly cool way of interesting prospective converts.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member

Maybe they were Hmong???? There are a lot of Hmong LDS in my town and they get sent to missions all over the world.