• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about religious teaching to children?

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
I am firmly against teaching children religious truths. The idea of having a Jewish child, mwslim child or chritstian child seems very odd. You wouldnt get children labeled such things as a conservative or labour child would you, because these political viewpoints are considered far too complex for the child to hold. So why is religion allowed to impose on them so?

Children are genetically pre-programed to recieve information from their elders, no question. Obviously developed for survival purposes, because critical thought would take too long. You listen if you parents tell you not to go so close to the cliff edge for example. To abuse this fact, and teach a child alledged religious truths could be considered ill moral indeed, as these children will grow up with false foundations, and remain in a permenent state of infacy. This would be the price of being told what to think rather than how to think.

Many places take the immorality of religious teaching to the next level. Certain 'Hell Houses' actively put the fear of hell into children to morally police them. To a child the fearfull idea of eternal damnation is very real, and can be grotesquely scarring. This is a form of mental child abuse that is overlooked today.

I believe that humans poses a natural empathy, and moral standing, due to our unique evolution in response to the whole 'if you scratch my back. i will scratch yours', as it usually leads to mutual success. This can be observed in close related species to us such as chimps. To tarnish this with inflexible, out-dated, morally dubious scribbles, especially when its a child is plain wrong. Morality is far older than religion.

We are soo incredibly lucky to have a spark of conciousness in this otherwise dark world. We will die eventually, but we are the lucky ones. Some never get born in the first place

Kcnorwood

My wife & I have talked about this & even though we plan to raise our kids in what we believe. I do think you should let them find his or her own way when the time comes. I dont think any set way of thinking should be forced on kids they should find thire own path & you should give the room to do so.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Heh. My husband and I are raising our kids to be skeptics.

So now that they're either approaching puberty or in the thoes of it, and they are actively questioning our authority, we have an excuse...........they're just doing what we're raising them to do.

They're such good kids. :D

Peace,
Mystic

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you want children to grow up with religious faith, the core beliefs must be inculcated at an early age, before the child develops the capacity of judgement or critical analysis.
Trying to indoctrinate an adult or older child is problematic inasmuch as grown-ups have generally developed a degree of critical analysis, so if the core concepts haven't
been slipped in at a pre-judgemental age there may be some resistance to them.

Rational adults generally want a certain amount of empirical evidence before accepting the existance of unseen entities. Children have no such filters.

joeboonda

If a parent truly believes certain things, religious or otherwise, it is okay for them to share their beliefs with their children. Sharing with them what we believe is true and then allowing them to make their own decisions. If one forces their beliefs on their children without letting them decide for themselves, they will rebel against that wrongful behaviour. I think it is important they know what we believe and as far as they can understand, why we believe it. No matter what God one believes or does not believe in, children, if not brain-washed, by knowing what and why we believe and examining our lives and the beliefs of others and thier lives gives children what they need to make their own decisions. For example if one is a thief and raises a child with the beliefs and practices of such, they may see the most probable bad consequences of such and make the decision that they will pursue other paths. I also try to share my beliefs with my children so they don't get a twisted version from others who may not fully understand what and why I believe as I do. I would not want my child to be deceived because I did not share as much as possible why I believe what I believe.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe children should be educated about religion, but not indoctrinated.

My hope is that I'll be able to teach my son the basics of several paths, atheism and agnosticism included, as well as my own beliefs so that he can make an informed choice when he is ready.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Religion (if one is religious) is part of the cultural milieu of the family. It is appropriate and helpful to rear the child within the tenets of the faith, so that cultural and social continuity can be taught and maintained. A child cannot deal any better with cultural pluralism than it can with religious criticism. In fact, it may confuse the child and set the tone for family disorder

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Religion (if one is religious) is part of the cultural milieu of the family. It is appropriate and helpful to rear the child within the tenets of the faith, so that cultural and social continuity can be taught and maintained. A child cannot deal any better with cultural pluralism than it can with religious criticism. In fact, it may confuse the child and set the tone for family disorder

What kind of family disorder are you talking about, soj? Two of our kids have been baptized into the Christian faith, yet I am a Buddhist, and my husband is agnostic. We seem to be getting along just fine so far.

Or are we a time bomb just waiting to explode? :D

Peace,
Mystic

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What kind of family disorder are you talking about, soj? Two of our kids have been baptized into the Christian faith, yet I am a Buddhist, and my husband is agnostic. We seem to be getting along just fine so far.

Or are we a time bomb just waiting to explode? :D

Peace,
Mystic
Parents teach by example. For your children to properly learn the tenets of Xy, that is best done by the parents. I suspect that your children are being reared with some skewed ideas about Xy, since you would naturally demonstrate a Buddhist way of life, and your husband an agnostic way of life. Teaching someone about something is not the same as what we Xians would call "living the gospel" by demonstration. For example,that someone can not trust in Jesus alone and still be OK is not a Xian tenet. Your children will grow to see you not trusting in Jesus alone, and that will conflict with Christian belief. They may be able to synthesize something that they find meaningful, but it, by definition, probably will not be definitive Xy, but a hybrid of sorts. That's OK, but I don't think I'd tell them that they were being reared Christian, if they're not really.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Parents teach by example. For your children to properly learn the tenets of Xy, that is best done by the parents. I suspect that your children are being reared with some skewed ideas about Xy, since you would naturally demonstrate a Buddhist way of life, and your husband an agnostic way of life. Teaching someone about something is not the same as what we Xians would call "living the gospel" by demonstration. For example,that someone can not trust in Jesus alone and still be OK is not a Xian tenet. Your children will grow to see you not trusting in Jesus alone, and that will conflict with Christian belief. They may be able to synthesize something that they find meaningful, but it, by definition, probably will not be definitive Xy, but a hybrid of sorts. That's OK, but I don't think I'd tell them that they were being reared Christian, if they're not really.

I'm still not quite understanding what the disorder is. Is this just me looking at our family and seeing that we embrace tolerance and religious pluralism..........and that you see our family and see confusion and disorder?

Maybe I'm taking your comment on "disorder" rather harshly. Would you care to elaborate further?

Peace,
Mystic

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I don't see a problem teaching religion to children, as long as they're allowed to question and not forced to do anything they don't want to.

I plan on raising my kids to experience Paganism, but encouraged to learn about everything, and if they decide they don't want to come to rituals with me, the's perfectly fine.

As long as they're taught to question as well, I don't see what's so terrible about it. If the parents are religious, having a child participate in religious activities can strengthen the family bond.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
One of my first points was that young children will accepts everything their parents tell them to do as part of their nature, so its not always a question of wheather its being taught to them 'against their will'. (that i hope needs no discussion about its ill- morality). What is also bad in my opinion is teaching the religious truths that young, purley because the child will auto accept the ideas of his/her 'trustworthy' parents, giving them biast framework for later life (whether they know it or not). Teach how to think rather than what to think. I would personally rate the importance of my childs free thinking mind far above the maintaining of some traditioned culture or rituals.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
One of my first points was that young children will accepts everything their parents tell them to do as part of their nature,
LOL, I wish.

I'm betting you don't have children yet, Alex. Am I right? :)

When i raise my children, i would raise them up in a hindu mannder, but still exposing the world to them, but i want them to be good people too. Religion is always teaching morals, so its important.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
LOL, I wish.

I'm betting you don't have children yet, Alex. Am I right? :)

Lol you would be right, but you know what i mean, even if it was not worded well. Its more of a long term acceptance of views rather than the naive image of a kid always saying yes.:p

When i raise my children, i would raise them up in a hindu mannder, but still exposing the world to them, but i want them to be good people too. Religion is always teaching morals, so its important.

whats wrong with teaching good morals pure and simple, with out it being in the religious format? p.s. I find morals taught by some religions dubious at times. (mostly exampled in the bible, as its what i know best, so appologies for that).

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
One of my first points was that young children will accepts everything their parents tell them to do as part of their nature, so its not always a question of wheather its being taught to them 'against their will'. (that i hope needs no discussion about its ill- morality). What is also bad in my opinion is teaching the religious truths that young, purley because the child will auto accept the ideas of his/her 'trustworthy' parents, giving them biast framework for later life (whether they know it or not). Teach how to think rather than what to think. I would personally rate the importance of my childs free thinking mind far above the maintaining of some traditioned culture or rituals.

Why do you believe that it's impossible to teach a child how to think critically and freely, and raise them to have a religious understanding? Personally I think it's rather small-minded that you assume that religion and free-thinking are mutually exclusive, because they're most certainly not.

I was raised Catholic, and I grew up, chose a different religion with little difficulty, and turned out just fine. And I know how to think. Where did it hurt my life to be raised in a religious tradition?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Lol you would be right, but you know what i mean, even if it was not worded well. Its more of a long term acceptance of views rather than the naive image of a kid always saying yes.:p
:) I'm not sure I do know what you mean. Are you saying that a child will automatically internalize his parents' worldview, even if the parents encourage exploration?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What do you think about religious teaching to children?
I find it to be rather hypocritical honestly.
To many theists want so much for creationism to taught right along side of evolution yet scream and whine when any religion other than the one they subscribe to is mentioned.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Why do you believe that it's impossible to teach a child how to think critically and freely, and raise them to have a religious understanding? Personally I think it's rather small-minded that you assume that religion and free-thinking are mutually exclusive, because they're most certainly not.

I was raised Catholic, and I grew up, chose a different religion with little difficulty, and turned out just fine. And I know how to think. Where did it hurt my life to be raised in a religious tradition?

All i am saying is that the introduction of religios ideas as TRUTH at such a young and impressionable age can warp the foundations of thought later in life. I know it obviously wont be in every case, thinking that would be naive, but i was suggesting its removal would avoid possible problems.

With all due respect to yourself, it may well have had an affect on u without you knowing. Changing religions doesnt show u are free of it. Plus even if you are free of a biast foundation for critical thinking about belief, it deffinately doesnt show that that is the case for everyone els.

I have a personal friend who had been brought up a Jehova's Witness. She at reaching univerity level had nice dreams and aspirations including becoming a rollercoaster engineer:p. Sadly however she droped out to pursue religious goals, going door to door. She did let slip to me once that she is locked in her religion through fear. Even though she logically knew the ideas of being punished on a judgment day for turning her back was absurd, she couldnt shake off the fear that has been intergrated into her brain at such a young age. No doubt i know she has a nice family, which shows how dangerous religious truths can be to a small child even with good intentions there. Fear obviously being one of the obviously worse outcomes.

This is just one example of such adverse affects that in my mind can so safly be avoided.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
:) I'm not sure I do know what you mean. Are you saying that a child will automatically internalize his parents' worldview, even if the parents encourage exploration?

At a young age a childs mind is pre-programed to accepts what its elders tell him/her. This is an evovled trait that had obvious survival benefits. All i am saying is a young child will listen and accept what its parents say unlike anyone els would. This fact makes them succeptable to religious ideas told as truth, and can remain accepted in later life purly because of how it was presented to them in the 1st place. It seems almost unfair and unhealthy for the individual in question.