• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think about religious teaching to children?

logician

Why do you believe that it's impossible to teach a child how to think critically and freely, and raise them to have a religious understanding? Personally I think it's rather small-minded that you assume that religion and free-thinking are mutually exclusive, because they're most certainly not.

A very rare combination, actually. Have you actually read something like Skeptic magazine, or approached any subject with a completely open mind?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
A very rare combination, actually. Have you actually read something like Skeptic magazine, or approached any subject with a completely open mind?

My husband has a subscription to the magazine, and I read it sometimes. I also approach most things with an open mind, which is more than can be said for you.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
My parents grew me up with Hinduism but also taught me to be open minded about all religions because they all lead to the same goal. My religion has shaped a lot of my values and made me the person that I am today. I am thankful that they grew me up with this. :)

Kcnorwood

When i raise my children, i would raise them up in a hindu mannder, but still exposing the world to them, but i want them to be good people too. Religion is always teaching morals, so its important.

Maybe I'm taking this wrong but I dont believe you have to be religous to have morals.
I know Athiest & Satanist with morals.

Booko

Deviled Hen
One of my first points was that young children will accepts everything their parents tell them to do as part of their nature, so its not always a question of wheather its being taught to them 'against their will'. (that i hope needs no discussion about its ill- morality). What is also bad in my opinion is teaching the religious truths that young, purley because the child will auto accept the ideas of his/her 'trustworthy' parents, giving them biast framework for later life (whether they know it or not). Teach how to think rather than what to think. I would personally rate the importance of my childs free thinking mind far above the maintaining of some traditioned culture or rituals.

My religion holds as one of its central principles the importance of thinking for oneself. We don't have much of a traditioned culture and almost nothing you'd call a ritual.

What would be the problem with that?

As for bias -- I have yet to see a framework that didn't provide some bias. Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

UnTheist

When i raise my children, i would raise them up in a hindu mannder, but still exposing the world to them, but i want them to be good people too. Religion is always teaching morals, so its important.
It isn't. Religion is not in any way the source of morals. Not even close. Nor does becoming religious make you more moral.

Booko

Deviled Hen
What do you think about religious teaching to children?
I find it to be rather hypocritical honestly.
To many theists want so much for creationism to taught right along side of evolution yet scream and whine when any religion other than the one they subscribe to is mentioned.

And then there's the rest of us, which are the bulk of religious humanity. :areyoucra

Really, why would you think "religious teaching" had anything to do with evolution? Surely you realize that's very much a minority view of a subset of religion?

Booko

Deviled Hen
It isn't. Religion is not in any way the source of morals. Not even close. Nor does becoming religious make you more moral.

Looking at the entirety of recorded human history, what do you see as the source of morals?

Religious beliefs aren't the same as political beliefs. Politics is what you want changed, and it's more complicated. Religion is who you are as a people, and yes, I do teach my kids (2 4 yr old girls) about God, they learn tradition, and song, and how to sit still in church. And I teach them politics. They aren't quite Christian (and I do let them know about Islam also, since I might convert there and they might be interested), they aren't quite liberal, but underlying traditions and values still hold. Don't look down on the homeless, work hard, put God at your center, share with your sister, turn off the tv, etc.

I see no problem with this. If you let your kid raise him/herself you'll end up with a spoiled snot. I can't lie, I'm glad my mother took the time to pass on her wisdom, religious and otherwise, to me. Am I getting into any theological or political intricacies with them? No, but maybe when they're older. Are they going to accept what I say as the truth? Probably, just like all kids learn from their parents. I don't see why that's a bad thing.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
My religion holds as one of its central principles the importance of thinking for oneself. We don't have much of a traditioned culture and almost nothing you'd call a ritual.

What would be the problem with that?

As for bias -- I have yet to see a framework that didn't provide some bias. Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

All i am saying is by teaching young children religious truths, which have no evidence to back it up is wrong, mainly due to their 'impressionable' age. I dont agree with such lables given to a child who is obviously not mature enough to make such decisions about the cosmos. Thinking for ones self is paramount, and from what i hear of your 'religion' it's a positive thing that they encourage this. Though your example is probably mild in contrast to some others, it surely lies on the same slippery slope and the hell induced indoctrination of other children. A framework based on evidence and critical thinking is the best foundations for later life, because it is precisly those things that have proven themselves by yeilding results and running our world. Scientists may not fully understand quantum phisics for example (which at first glance may seem as weird as many religious 'truths'), but when put into practice can lead to incredible things, and on the basis of that, is worth persuing. Such things as electron microscopes and MRI scanners have been invented as a result.
What other framework of thiniking has such a good reputation?

Looking at the entirety of recorded human history, what do you see as the source of morals?

Defining morals by religion cannot be right. Surely for example someone who does good deeds out of the fear of hell, or the praises of heaven is not actually moral. Additionally where did the people wo wrote religious texts get the morals from in the first place? Under what motives were they even written? This would strengthen the idea that moral dubiousity is present.
Much more likely is the idea that through evolution alongside our inteligence, socially benefiting attributes like good morals would form, as it can yield mutual success. Good morals could be our 'peakock's plumes' in finding a mate.

Popeyesays

As an aside:

"Defining morals by religion cannot be right. Surely for example someone who does good deeds out of the fear of hell, or the praises of heaven is not actually moral. Additionally where did the people wo wrote religious texts get the morals from in the first place? Under what motives were they even written? This would strengthen the idea that moral dubiousity is present. "

I could not agree more!

"WORSHIP thou God in such wise that if thy worship lead thee to the fire, no alteration in thine adoration would be produced, and so likewise if thy recompense should be paradise. Thus and thus alone should be the worship which befitteth the one True God. Shouldst thou worship Him because of fear, this would be unseemly in the sanctified Court of His presence, and could not be regarded as an act by thee dedicated to the Oneness of His Being. Or if thy 78 gaze should be on paradise, and thou shouldst worship Him while cherishing such a hope, thou wouldst make God's creation a partner with Him, notwithstanding the fact that paradise is desired by men.
Fire and paradise both bow down and prostrate themselves before God. That which is worthy of His Essence is to worship Him for His sake, without fear of fire, or hope of paradise.
Although when true worship is offered, the worshipper is delivered from the fire, and entereth the paradise of God's good-pleasure, yet such should not be the motive of his act. However, God's favour and grace ever flow in accordance with the exigencies of His inscrutable wisdom."
(The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, p. 77)

Regards,
Scott

Lol you would be right, but you know what i mean, even if it was not worded well. Its more of a long term acceptance of views rather than the naive image of a kid always saying yes.:p

whats wrong with teaching good morals pure and simple, with out it being in the religious format? p.s. I find morals taught by some religions dubious at times. (mostly exampled in the bible, as its what i know best, so appologies for that).

Mostly, religion teaches morals through stories, those become the most well known. Tell them thewell known hindu story they are hindu. Straight up morals cant work. If you ever read hindu scriptures, you wont find a single corrupted verse.

wednesday

Jesus
^ Do you think a western government would accept Hindu teaching? It might teach the right things but there would be too much opposition from dominant religions. Its Christian or Catholic only where i come from, sad, especially because its compulsery if u want a 'good' education from a 'good' school.

rojse

RF Addict
How is a child meant to form coherent logic about the existence of God, let alone how he thinks and acts? Children believe in Santa (he isn't real, sorry for ruining it for everyone) with much more evidence of his existence, such as eating cookies and drinking milk, and leaving presents. How are they supposed to question the existence of God?

Smoke

Done here.
I am firmly against teaching children religious truths. The idea of having a Jewish child, mwslim child or chritstian child seems very odd. You wouldnt get children labeled such things as a conservative or labour child would you, because these political viewpoints are considered far too complex for the child to hold. So why is religion allowed to impose on them so?
I think it's unfortunate to the extent that so many religions have a negative effect on their adherents, and early indoctrination makes it much harder for a person to break free of religion.

However, I should add that if I had children I might be inclined to bring them up as Quakers. ;)

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
All i am saying is that the introduction of religios ideas as TRUTH at such a young and impressionable age can warp the foundations of thought later in life. I know it obviously wont be in every case, thinking that would be naive, but i was suggesting its removal would avoid possible problems.

With all due respect to yourself, it may well have had an affect on u without you knowing. Changing religions doesnt show u are free of it. Plus even if you are free of a biast foundation for critical thinking about belief, it deffinately doesnt show that that is the case for everyone els.

I have a personal friend who had been brought up a Jehova's Witness. She at reaching univerity level had nice dreams and aspirations including becoming a rollercoaster engineer:p. Sadly however she droped out to pursue religious goals, going door to door. She did let slip to me once that she is locked in her religion through fear. Even though she logically knew the ideas of being punished on a judgment day for turning her back was absurd, she couldnt shake off the fear that has been intergrated into her brain at such a young age. No doubt i know she has a nice family, which shows how dangerous religious truths can be to a small child even with good intentions there. Fear obviously being one of the obviously worse outcomes.

This is just one example of such adverse affects that in my mind can so safly be avoided.

Last night in a fortune cookie this quote came to me "Courage is the mastery of fear- not the absence of fear." I'd like to suggest that your friend has not owned up to her own responsibility and instead has given over such power to another.

Not everyone truely becomes an Adult when they hit that magical number. Some folks never see the point to question and others never try to change for whatever reason. But as adults they are all responsablity for their own actions no matter how they were raised. Blameing the parants and / or religion sounds like a cop out to me.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Last night in a fortune cookie this quote came to me "Courage is the mastery of fear- not the absence of fear." I'd like to suggest that your friend has not owned up to her own responsibility and instead has given over such power to another.

Not everyone truely becomes an Adult when they hit that magical number. Some folks never see the point to question and others never try to change for whatever reason. But as adults they are all responsablity for their own actions no matter how they were raised. Blameing the parants and / or religion sounds like a cop out to me.

True, that is the ultimate fact, one is responsible for ones own. But you also can hold responsibility over others, such as your children. Dont you agree it best to be absent of these hurdles that my friend has had to face? (regardless whether u see her as 'copping out of resposibility'). No doubt there may be some weakness on her part, but i still dont think she should have been put through such an ordeal by her own parents.

As far as defining the point of adulthood, i see that come at the point of having children, where u suddenly have massive love and responsibility over new life. By looking at ur point from the other side, its up to the adult to take responsibility, responsibility for their child.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
My dad raised me to question and think. He actually threw a bit of a hissy when I wanted to join the LDS church, but I have always been stubborn and independant ever since I was little. I fought and went anyway. He really didn't "make obstacles," moreso poked at me to question my choices. He is like, buddhist/wiccan/hindu with a touch of Jesus, or something. Pick-n-mixism like someone else on here;). The first belief system he introduced me to was actually Eckankar. Anyone heard of it? It was wierd, but cool.
But anyway, I am going to do like he did. No indoctrination. I will just engage them in conversation and encourage them to learn, test new waters and pick their own path. I am sure they will have enough to deal with from their peers without added pushes and pulls from me. I want to be there to help them sort through the garbage that the world dumps on their head, regarding religion. The majority of the religions all believe they are right, and a lot of them will find your children, some will even go into the hell and brimstone right off the bat, and/or discriminate and put down your child for questioning and thinking open-mindedly. They might lose friends because that friends parent(s) might think your kid is a bad influence on theirs because you don't force your child to go to church and pray twice a day.
My bf was forced to go to church when he was little, no matter what. One time he got sick in the middle of church, and when he said something about it to his grandma she backhanded him... in the middle of church! That is psycho. Now he refuses to go inside a church building because he got tortured by them so much as a kid.