• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think is the most beautiful of machines?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
1721812561421.png

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
This one. But I'm a bit biased...

448951531_8084361438263941_6474697634623807515_n.jpg

But here are a couple of others that I've been impressed with over the last month or so...

1960 Buick Invicta resto-mod.
IMG_1496.jpeg

1958 Chevy Apache
IMG_1594.jpeg

And a few of my dream cars...

1959 Buick Invicta
1959_buick_invicta_0007-54792.jpg

1949 Buick Roadmaster
rainmanbuick01.jpg

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
14264_p45_l.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Steam. Unmatched power and reliability.

...and sheer beauty to behold.
Many of us followed Kory Anderson's progress building that machine from scratch.

Beauty is about more than appearance.
Function matters too.
This is the most beautiful machine ever designed.
Why?
This is a complex electronically controlled heat pump.
There are many brands & models made over the course of a century.
To use it, you just walk up to it, & instinctively know what to do.
OIP.UYdGVIcoHm1_h_vPHzGwlAHaIC

Tomef

I say the British Rail class 55 "Deltic" diesel electric locomotive

British Rail Class 55 - Wikipedia

They operated express inter-city services between 1960 and 1980

I find them gorgeous to look at

They have mostly been scrapped but a handful have been preserved

View attachment 94611
View attachment 94612
The pen. The pen, or the pencil too, is one of the most amazing things ever created by anyone. Some pens/pencils have a more beautiful form than others, but the beauty is in what it can be used for.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
The pen. The pen, or the pencil too, is one of the most amazing things ever created by anyone. Some pens/pencils have a more beautiful form than others, but the beauty is in what it can be used for.
Do you have a favourite type of pen?

I think ball-point pens are an amazing invention

Tomef

Do you have a favourite type of pen?

I think ball-point pens are an amazing invention
Yeah. I tend to use mechanical pencils though, when writing on paper. Mostly I use an Apple Pencil, another pretty useful invention.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I think MG-TC's and MG-TD's are beautiful, but so many answers...

From a different perspective, I'd say that everyone ought to understand the beauty, diversity, power, utility, and ubiquity of levers. :) (like the screw shown above)

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll go with the automatic wire stripping tool. You stick the wire in, and it automatically adjusts to the size and strips off the insulation! Like a rabbit from a hat.

Attachments

• wirestripper.png
    wirestripper.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 17

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I say the British Rail class 55 "Deltic" diesel electric locomotive

British Rail Class 55 - Wikipedia

They operated express inter-city services between 1960 and 1980

I find them gorgeous to look at

They have mostly been scrapped but a handful have been preserved

View attachment 94611
View attachment 94612

Too many to list! Just to name a few:

The Komatsu PC8000 excavator, weighing over 750 tonnes:

97bf6ada90cea0f1cc08a77401e36d2a.jpg

The legendary Ferrari 250 GTO, one of which sold for about $54m at auction:

6093c2340abef6224c06a033-ferrari-magazine-Yttbjev0dr.jpg

The Flying Scotsman:

flying_scotsman_in_doncaster.jpg

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's a pretty cool machine. It's a huge gravitational wave detector in three parts that will be orbiting the sun behind the earth

1721937659641.png

Now look at this for animation:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/LISA_motion.gif/300px-LISA_motion.gif

In this graphic, you will see the earth orbiting the sun (blue ellipse) with three objects in different but similar orbits (purple, green, and yellow ellipses) in such a way that the three space probes remain in a perfect equilateral triangle following it. You also see what is intended to represent gravitational wave distorting a grid.

"The spacecraft will form an equilateral triangle with side lengths of about a million kilometres, creating the largest man-made structure ever in space. Precise heterodyne laser interferometry will then detect the small changes in distance triggered by gravitational waves."

And what is this huge device doing? As noted, it's detecting gravitational waves coming from huge astronomical objects, which will compress space allowing laser interferometers (the LI in LISA, the name of the mission) to detect this compression:

"The LISA mission is designed for direct observation of gravitational waves, which are distortions of spacetime travelling at the speed of light. Passing gravitational waves alternately squeeze and stretch space itself by a tiny amount. Gravitational waves are caused by energetic events in the universe and, unlike any other radiation, can pass unhindered by intervening mass. Launching LISA will add a new sense to scientists' perception of the universe and enable them to study phenomena that are invisible in normal light.[15][16] Potential sources for signals are merging massive black holes at the centre of galaxies,[17] massive black holes orbited by small compact objects, known as extreme mass ratio inspirals,[18] binaries of compact stars,[19] and possibly other sources of cosmological origin, such as a cosmological phase transition shortly after the Big Bang,[20] and speculative astrophysical objects like cosmic strings and domain boundaries.[21]"

Gravitational waves are something different. All incoming data in the past has been either electromagnetic radiation (visible light, radio and gamma rays, etc.) or particles (protons, neutrinos). Gravity waves are neither. They're a third type of message.

So, this is huge literally and figuratively, and for many, beautiful.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think many musical instruments are astonishingly beautiful. As a category of functional objects, I think they take first place when it comes to aesthetics.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Beauty in machinery to me is meticulous attention to detail. Some examples below. Often the details can even be unappealing to me, some of the color schemes in Rolls Royce, for example, and some of the excess in luxury motorhome paintjobs, but I still appreciate the attention to detail. If the videos are more than can keep your interest scan through them to more briefly see various aspects of the machine.

!966 Chrysler Imperial

imperial.jpg

The Rolls Royce Automobile

Luxury Motorhome

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Ok, so this isn't a machine. It's a tool, but a damn sexy one. Reminds me of a heart beat and lightning from the sky. It's hand held too, which makes it all the more sexy in my hands. I'm a little fugly, but it adds to my appearance.

Do you think my tool is sexy?

Attachments

• R (1).jpg
    R (1).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 16