• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of the new term I just coined?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
I've decided that I'm not going to use the term "anti-Mormon" anymore. I've been told by those who can't resist posting derogatory material about my church's beliefs and history that they find this term insulting. They aren't "anti" Mormon. They're just "pro" Christian. Anyway, I've been thinking about it and I've decided that the real reason for their hostility is that they have a lot of misconceptions about what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches. If I really believed some of the things they think I believe, I'd be more than just a little bit leery of the Mormons myself!
I fail to see why you would concern yourself with the opinions of those who have no problem bearing false witness against your faith, Katz. It's one thing for someone to make a mistake, but after multiple corrections when they continue spouting lies, it becomes their problem, not yours, and surely anyone fair minded enough will figure it out.

otoh, I rather like your neologism. :)

Pah

Uber all member
Katzpur said:
I've decided that I'm not going to use the term "anti-Mormon" anymore. I've been told by those who can't resist posting derogatory material about my church's beliefs and history that they find this term insulting. They aren't "anti" Mormon. They're just "pro" Christian. Anyway, I've been thinking about it and I've decided that the real reason for their hostility is that they have a lot of misconceptions about what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches. If I really believed some of the things they think I believe, I'd be more than just a little bit leery of the Mormons myself!

So, my new choice of words is "Mormophobe." What do you think of it?
The basic mistrust of Mormon followers is involved with heresy, so how about heresyophobe which is characterised by fear of heresy. Apostatophobe?

May I suggest a physcological term? Those people would have a heresy complex so they could be called heresyomatic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Pah said:
The basic mistrust of Mormon followers is involved with heresy, so how about heresyophobe which is characterised by fear of heresy. Apostatophobe?

May I suggest a physcological term? Those people would have a heresy complex so they could be called heresyomatic.
Huh? Too many big words for me, Pah. :confused:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
spacemonkey said:
Then what would you call an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed afterward with knowledge, thought, and reason? Just because someone is informed on a topic doesn't mean that the opinion they form will be favorable. Everyone here is implying that anyone that has a problem with Momonism is an intollerant, uneducated hate monger and that just isn't the case.
Hey, I was just going by Katzpur's assessment of what the reasons were, without judging whether she is correct or not. Her OP was partly tongue in cheek and partly serious, and so was my response.

Of course people can know about a religion and have unfavorable opinions. I personally have issues with Scientology. But people should also be aware that there are usually many facets to a religion. And whatever knowledge/negative experiences you may have had before, you're dealing with the real live representative of that religion. A textbook example is someone yesterday telling Beckysoup that she didn't know her own religion because her experiences contradicted what the person "knew"/had experienced. Umm... hello? You've had negative experiences or know something about the religion that you don't like? fine. But you can't engage in dialogue with members of that religion and deny the validity of their experiences/knowledge even if it contradicts yours. I think that's the kinda thing that spurs the "Mormophobe" comment.

(Porverbial "you" of course; I don't mean you personally, spacemonkey.

P.S. Did you actually listen to the Jon Coulton song? :()

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
lilithu said:
Of course people can know about a religion and have unfavorable opinions. I personally have issues with Scientology.
P.S. Did you actually listen to the Jon Coulton song? :()

As for the part about Scientology, I thought I'd share my man Trey's opinion on them too...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Xt4CKgaJA (this episode actually led to Issac "Chef" Hayes leaving the show as he is a scientologist)

As for the Jon Coulton song, I wasn't putting it down, i was just wondering if you knew about the original because you were posting the lyrics like Mr. Coulton had wrote them. (from another thread for those of you scratching your heads)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
spacemonkey said:
As for the part about Scientology, I thought I'd share my man Trey's opinion on them too...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Xt4CKgaJA (this episode actually led to Issac "Chef" Hayes leaving the show as he is a scientologist)
Yeah, I saw the episode where they killed off Chef. Brutal. :D Some people thought that, while it is true that South Park lampoons a lot of different religions, they were especially hard on Scientology. My feeling is that it's fine if people hold unorthodox beliefs - honestly, I'm not sure that I believe that Joseph Smith uncovered revelatory scripture in upstate New York - but that doesn't matter to me because the bottom line is that when I talk to Mormons it's clear to me that their religion teaches them values of love, as mine does for me. I have problems with religions that don't teach such values. In fact, it's hard for me to even recognize them as religions.

Thanks for the links!

spacemonkey said:
As for the Jon Coulton song, I wasn't putting it down, i was just wondering if you knew about the original because you were posting the lyrics like Mr. Coulton had wrote them. (from another thread for those of you scratching your heads)
I didn't think you were putting it down. But my primary intent in posting that link wasn't to post the lyrics, it was to get people to listen to Coulton's version of the song.

OK, sorry Katzpur for going waaaaay off-topic.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Katzpur said:
So, my new choice of words is "Mormophobe." What do you think of it?

I think DC Comics already has a licensed character by the same name. It was a villain created for the exclusive purpose of destroying the Metal Men.

Booko writes: I fail to see why you would concern yourself with the opinions of those who have no problem bearing false witness against your faith.

I’m not sure if that sentence makes any sense or perfect sense.

Lilithu writes: honestly, I'm not sure that I believe that Joseph Smith uncovered revelatory scripture in upstate New York

I believe it. I think it might have something to do with this area.;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
lilithu said:
My feeling is that it's fine if people hold unorthodox beliefs - honestly, I'm not sure that I believe that Joseph Smith uncovered revelatory scripture in upstate New York - but that doesn't matter to me because the bottom line is that when I talk to Mormons it's clear to me that their religion teaches them values of love, as mine does for me.
See? How could I possibly not like you a ton, lilithu?