• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of this quote?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
All Faith is false, all Faith is true:
Truth is the shattered mirror strown
In myriad bits; while each believes
his little bit the whole to own.
—Richard Francis Burton

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Shows a lot of insight into human nature.
it also shows what a nonsense the phrase " the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" is.

Terry

joeboonda

Jesus said, I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life, no man comes to the Father but by Me. Jesus is truth. I would not call him a liar or delusional, his very character shows that, Therefore he is Lord, he is Truth, he is God. There is such a thing as absolute truth, and it is found in Him, I am absolutely sure, lol. Seed and you will find, knock and it shall be opened unto you, you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. Jesus' free gift of eternal life will set you free from any works based religions, or any bondages, or any guilt or fear, trust him today!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
Shows a lot of insight into human nature.
it also shows what a nonsense the phrase " the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" is.

Terry
Iagree with your first sentence, Terry, but the second one....are you talking theology, or law here ? - It may sound a silly question, because we are talking religion here, but I have never heard the phrase outside of law courts (Not that I frequent them.....:biglaugh: -well, I guess that's not true, but only when interpreting, and, intensively for six months, when I applied to become a magistrate).:)

Pah

Uber all member
Maize said:
—Richard Francis Burton
I don't know about false. But with all the shards brought together, faith has more brilliant sparkle than the most precious diamond.

ch'ang

artist in training
That is one of the most brilliant statements I have read in a long time. Where did you find it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
Iagree with your first sentence, Terry, but the second one....are you talking theology, or law here ? - It may sound a silly question, because we are talking religion here, but I have never heard the phrase outside of law courts (Not that I frequent them.....:biglaugh: -well, I guess that's not true, but only when interpreting, and, intensively for six months, when I applied to become a magistrate).:)
A court of law expects to be the judge of truth and also expects people to give the whole truth.
But as the saying shows truth is fragmented and we build up the little we have to be our whole truth.

In religion, philosophy, Science and law there is no whole truth. only the bit we know.

Terry
________________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Rick123123

Maize said:
—Richard Francis Burton
I beleive it means that the truth is so great that in this physical form one of us cannot hold onto all of it at once. "While each beleives his little but the whole to own" That our little bit of the truth is ours to own and when you bring each of our bits together, it is the ultimate truth. And our faith in this truth that we hold is both false because it is not the whole truth but true because it is a part of it.