• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of when you hear/read "God"?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
He was a creeper. :eek:
Blame Good Omens:

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time

HeatherAnn

whatever the universe looks like from the outside, thats what id imagine god looks like

I was taught that we are created in God's image (which I now realize it's more likely we created God in our image).
So, I wondered if God was a huge gigantic person & our earth is like a tiny atom in his/her body.

My definition of God is under construction... but no blueprints! :eek:
It's tough to really spiritually connect with an abstract concept I can't relate with... like "love" or "void." Yet a part of me believes these 2 concepts might be more accurate than the more "feel good" ones.

When I want to feel loved inside, I imagine God to be Spiritually unconditionally loving Mother and Father. It's becoming easier to think of God as feminine, not just masculine. Mothers are most creative, considering we all were brought through their creative bodies.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Do you think God in general? Do you think of Yahweh or Jesus? Do you think in Allah? Do you think of Abrahamic God in general?

I, personally, imagine a giant man with a beard, in the sky. Because that's what I believed earlier than 7 years old.

Why do you picture what you picture? Do you think, since you think about that specific image when you hear "God", you basically can conceptual picture an image of God, that you believe in some sort of God, unconsciously believe in God?

When I see the word God I think of an all encompassing power that pervades within and without all things. I do think of Monotheism and other Gods can apply but religious texts have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I was baptized and raised Catholic so I did believe the sky daddy idea for quite a while. It is almost like the OT is only good if your trying to explain to a child.

Yes it is possible that what I believe now is due to brainwashing as a child but I try to be as down to earth as possible.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I guess I should make it more specific:

I'm not asking what you imagine God looks like, but the first image that comes to your mind, if you didn't know.
Sorry

Straw Dog

I guess I should make it more specific:

I'm not asking what you imagine God looks like, but the first image that comes to your mind, if you didn't know.
Sorry

It conjures up a sort of "imagelessness" or "nothingness", not in the sense of nonexistence, but rather an all-inclusiveness. I suppose because I consider "God" to be a metaphor regarding that which is beyond all comprehension and yet containing all within it.

Vrindavana Das

Sorry

images