• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Bible say about Alcohol?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
not sure......correct me if I'm wrong....

Take some wine for the sake of your stomach.
a quote of the Carpenter?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and was it not the Carpenter changing water into wine?

and the first cup went to the governor of the wedding feast
who turned to the groom asking...
Why have you saved the best for last?

you can't fool a Jew with grape juice

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
not sure......correct me if I'm wrong....

Take some wine for the sake of your stomach.
a quote of the Carpenter?
No, I do not think so.

Did the carpenter not make wine for a feast, in your opinion?

edit: Posting at the same time.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Simply admit if you can't provide any answer, or justify by quoting your scripture.
Admit that you have submitted to the Koran and are not permitted to drink alcohol. Admit that your life doesn't revolve around the Bible. You don't need the Bible or want it. You disagree with the Bible as it is printed today on many points such as the resurrection of Jesus. You cannot accept consistency in the Bible as this contradicts the Koran to which you have submitted yourself. Therefore you cannot really argue about whether the Bible is consistent since you may only accept one answer. You can only insist. I on the other hand can freely consider whether I think it is consistent or not having taken no vows. I am free. I am able to change my mind from day to day.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Folks...

Savagewind;

Yer - except -"god" did NOT MAKE the alcohol that WE consume...It doesnt occur NATURALLY at all and requires MANS manipulation to be the demon brew as WE have it ;)

in plain and simple terms - in the grandest picture conceivable taking it right back to the SOURCE of creation itself - this man made alcohol MUST INDEED be a WHOLLY bad thing in terms of SPIRITUAL AWARENESS - because simply according to Christ - the Source we seek is indeed a DIVINE MIND - and the aim of the game here is to LITERALLY BECOME THAT MIND - to EXPAND the mortal Self to be ONE with the entire creation and to know that Source AS the Self - drink from MY mouth He said - BECOME Me - attain the Fathers rest etc etc....Literally an EXPANSION of mortal Self to become the ALL - not a stifling of mortal mind keeping us Self ignorant and in hiding - and certainly not the DESTRUCTION of the mortal mind altogether which is the alcoholists final destiny always - do you see it leads to the complete opposite to the spiritual imperative as Christ teaches it..??..

All about MIND always....We see clearly and undeniably from its direct experiences - alcohol as said literally destroys the mind, its ability to function and to express the Self as desired - indeed, repeated use of alcohol destroys the body AND the mind, affects the family, society as a whole and is therefore not a good thing at all whichever way we look at it - and from a purely spiritual perspective should be avoided at all costs - it is directly self sabotaging the Souls intent to express the Self LEGITIMATELY...I repeat that the aim of existance here - the spiritual truth delivered by Christ directly - the task before us according to CHRIST - is to realise the Self AS that primal sovereign spirit - to literally become it - it REQUIRES an EXPANDED mind - a whole and mended mind - He taught us how - and as said those that understand Him will see very clearly that alcohol is indeed a nefarious substance that will destroy that spiritual endeavour even before we realised there was ever a problem...Avoid it - peace of mind does not come from a man made substance....Neither does the living truth of Self, and THAT truth is the only thing that satisfies the Soul and brings that peace we seek......

Umm actually alcohol occurs through fermentation of fruits. In the wild this does happen quite often, so much so that there are many instances of animals getting drunk.
The only way to stop your "grape juice" turning into wine naturally was to store it in a cold place. So if the olden day peeps didn't consume their juice fast enough it would become alcohol. This process is entirely natural.

The mass produced stuff today still relies somewhat on this natural process. It's just that we can do fancier things now.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I remember our cousins overseas made this concoction of fruit that they left in the sun and was touting it as a 'healing medicine' that made you feel 'really good and happy'. And other villagers were copying his formula and putting containers with fruit and sugar out in the hot sun for days.

What they were doing was making booze unknown to them and their religion forbids them drinking alcohol natural or otherwise except if a doctor prescribes it.

So we all got a good laugh when it was discovered that the 'good feeling' that everyone reported was actually intoxication on the verge of drunkenness.!!!!! Once they realized they were making moonshine they soon stopped.!!

Kelly of the Phoenix

I remember our cousins overseas made this concoction of fruit that they left in the sun and was touting it as a 'healing medicine' that made you feel 'really good and happy'. And other villagers were copying his formula and putting containers with fruit and sugar out in the hot sun for days.

What they were doing was making booze unknown to them and their religion forbids them drinking alcohol natural or otherwise except if a doctor prescribes it.

So we all got a good laugh when it was discovered that the 'good feeling' that everyone reported was actually intoxication on the verge of drunkenness.!!!!! Once they realized they were making moonshine they soon stopped.!!
My brother, in one of his nursing jobs, told me a story that one night all the patients were positively smashed. Turns out, there were a lot of boxed fruit drinks nursing keeps on hand for snacks and to prevent low blood sugar on some patients, and they had gone bad ... and fermented. Lots of laughs, from what I heard. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Excess consumption of wine leading to drunkenness is condemned summarily in the Bible.
Drinking to excess is also endorsed in the Bible.

Proverbs 31:6-7:
6 Give strong drink to the one who is perishing,
and wine to those who are bitterly distressed;
7 let them drink and forget their poverty,
and remember their misery no more.

The Bible: the Big Book of Multiple Choice.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Drinking to excess is also endorsed in the Bible.

Proverbs 31:6-7:

The Bible: the Big Book of Multiple Choice.

There always needs to be balance and flexibility as well as moderation when applying laws whether secular or religious.

Baha'is are allowed to have alcohol if prescribed for illness so under certain conditions laws can be non applicable.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I thought you said it was "condemned summarily."

No. Not at all. It is only against Bahá'í law to drink alcohol or take mind influencing drugs for recreational purposes and maybe Islam too but Christianity and Judaism only discourage it not forbid it.