• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "religion" do for you?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What does religion do for you, most people don't follow the teacings, so what does labeling yourself with a religion do for you? Some people combine their ethnicity with their religion, so they can sort of combine the two for whatever purpose, but what about people who just belong to a religion? Does it make you feel special? Is it basically a social club? Do you just do it because that's how you were raised?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was religious for a time. What did it do for me? It taught me about people and the amazing variations in awareness.

Culturemonk

Culture Monk -
What does religion do for you, most people don't follow the teacings, so what does labeling yourself with a religion do for you? Some people combine their ethnicity with their religion, so they can sort of combine the two for whatever purpose, but what about people who just belong to a religion? Does it make you feel special? Is it basically a social club? Do you just do it because that's how you were raised?

Religion gives me a link to the past.

without religion i would feel like I popped into the universe one day with no purpose or meaning to my life.

I enjoy celebrations; religion is a way of celebrating the past and remembering where we came from.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think in many cases religion gives a sense of security, at least at first, and often, maybe even unconsciously a feeling of superiority or self-righteousness...but after time it becomes a heavy weight and lifeless burden. This was my experience anyway.

Knowing Jesus, on the other hand, is a real and living relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth and brings me freedom, peace, love, hope,and joy.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
What does religion do for you, most people don't follow the teacings, so what does labeling yourself with a religion do for you?

I always follow the 'teachings' of my religion since its designed by and for me alone. It's much more like 'learnings' though. Plus, there isn't much to follow. I am also not fond of labels, and stick to general terms like 'theist' and 'religious'. These labels are intended for the public to understand some very basic philosophical positions I hold. I am much more fond of simply stating what I believe instead of stating a label, though. People often have fixed notions as to what a label is supposed to contain and I almost never fit into those predetermined boxes.

Some people combine their ethnicity with their religion, so they can sort of combine the two for whatever purpose, but what about people who just belong to a religion? Does it make you feel special?

Yes. The fact that I am special by comparison to the rest of reality is a fundamental part of my religious beliefs.

Is it basically a social club?

No, its definitely an anti-social club for me, haha. I suppose identifying as religious puts me in a particular category of people, though.

Do you just do it because that's how you were raised?

Nope. I was not raised to believe what I do. There may be a few hold-overs from those days, but everything has been so heavily modified (and continues to be modified) that its not really comparable except in the most general ways.

ArcNinja

It gives some people a sense of purpose, but all it really does in the grand scheme of things is a whole lot of harm, for the most part.

ArcNinja

Religion harms you? How so?

Religion has been the reason for a lot of harm in the world. In the modern age, it restricts our government, makes certain groups of people feel insignificant or "sinful," causes individuals to feel conflicted, and breeds general ignorance (to science, the laws of the universe, etc.) It is detrimental.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not religious, I'm spiritual. :angel2: :run:

That comment is only half in jest, I'm not one for over-ritualizing or attending religious services or rituals. It's between me and God. What religion, specifically Hinduism and Buddhism have done for me is given me the impetus to be a better person: more tolerant, empathetic, compassionate, less judgmental, more aware of God and living as much of my life as possible in His service. But I probably fail miserably. :(

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Religion has been the reason for a lot of harm in the world. In the modern age, it restricts our government, makes certain groups of people feel insignificant or "sinful," causes individuals to feel conflicted, and breeds general ignorance (to science, the laws of the universe, etc.) It is detrimental.

And you consider these things to be harm done to you by religion?