• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Atheist Community Need?

BCG190

This is a discussion I had with a colleague recently, and I thought it would be good to raise it here. The question was, what do you think Atheist literature needs for the future? The proliferation of works from writers such as Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, et. al. has essentially set the bar for literature, so to speak, but where do we see the future going?

To be sure, this isn't a question of the degree of our animosity or contempt, more what direction. Which disciplines? What level of scholarship? Is it important anyway? I suppose I am cheating a bit because this will ultimately be Thesis material for me, but you guys get the idea. ;)

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
An important component of atheist literature has been developing in the blogosphere. For instance, PZ Meyer's blog has over 119 million hits.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
What does atheism need?

Atheism needs people to open their eyes and see that science, logic, and reason makes more sense than old books written on the basis of mythology and superstition.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
A community might be nice, for starters. :p

I do kinda miss the fellowship that comes along with being part of a church, along with the community volunteering. It would be nice to see more non-religious charities in communities, groups raking grandma's yard, or adopting highways. Also, potlucks. We need more potlucks.

A community might be nice, for starters. :p

I do kinda miss the fellowship that comes along with being part of a church, along with the community volunteering. It would be nice to see more non-religious charities in communities, groups raking grandma's yard, or adopting highways. Also, potlucks. We need more potlucks.

There speaks the voice of reason. ;)

"Atheist" is probably the most boring lifestyle choice a person can make.