• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What evidence for God

McBell

Admiral Obvious
hi,
i am sure, and you have brain and and resources to check by yourself not listing to other people even me

and i hope you will find answer and share with us
Nice try.
But you made the claim, YOU do the homework.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
If you define a creator as a "God", then of course all things would be considered such.

Even the smallest of motions impact the heaviest scales.

Not necessarily. If God is simply the creator then we disassociate the idea that God is also personal. Like a craftsman who creates supplies and lacks care whether its snowing or raining outside. If we say God is personal and cares for creation then we narrow down what God is and run into problems.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Not necessarily. If God is simply the creator then we disassociate the idea that God is also personal. Like a craftsman who creates supplies and lacks care whether its snowing or raining outside. If we say God is personal and cares for creation then we narrow down what God is and run into problems.

Every action leads to another, every motion leads to another. All things that create, demiurge, can be tied in with existence.

Which means God can be narrowed down to what He is, in an ambiguous and vague manner. Simply put it, everything.

It's not like I'm saying, "Oh, God doesn't like the color black". That's Christian crap.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Testable hypotheses/claims can be proven or disproven which in relation to religion would be claims of divine intervention.

Can you provide an example?

Untestable hypotheses/claims can't be proven or disproven such as the claim that God exists without any of the peripheral claims.

So then what leads you to think that theories are any more factual based than the existence of something beyond us?

In science great efforts are made to minimise the influence of bias and if you don't get the answer you want then tough luck. If you try and fudge the results then usually it won't take long for you to be found out, especially when others try to reproduce your results.
Don't try and apply the poor investigative standards of the relgion to science.

Apply poor investigative standards of the religion to science? What?

Religion is science. The sooner you figure that out, the more efficient science will be.

Your right, great efforts are made to minimise the influence of bias other than that of science based logic. Science is just as dogmatic as the Pope.

This experiment proved that prayer was inneffective at reducing complications following surgery. It doesn't prove that God doesn't exists unless Gods existance is dependent on him answering prayers and nobody knows if this is the case.

Of course.

It's ineffective for people who just expect "God" to perform for them, instead of them solving and attempting an issue themselves.

Wishy washy nonsense. The reason why people utilise the scientific method is because it works and is the best system we currently have available to us. Alternative methods such as making things up and attributing it to supernatural agents didn't work despite its popularity in the past and continueing popularity now when people really should know better.

Wishy washy nonesense? I assure you that there is people out there who think differently than you, and have their own ways of explaining everything.

Your right, human fabricated numbers and theories are way less imaginative than a God who doesn't exist as an entity and without supernatural powers.

People use the scientific method to figure out what?

Insults and special pleading. You''ll need to do better than that

It's insulting to understand human psychology?

Its called skepticism which without a person is little more than a credulous fool. I've been skeptical of religious claims since I was a young child because quite frankly they are generally ridiculous.

Good thing I'm not religious.

But again, skeptics don't see religion as generally ridiculous, narrow minded people do. People who are curious about something generally tend to care to understand it more, rather than to excuse it as utter nonesense.

You can take the label of "skeptic" upon you, but that is just a facade. Atheism isn't "nuetral" skepticism, it's predenial.

Last edited:

Ubjon

Can you provide an example?

So then what leads you to think that theories are any more factual based than the existence of something beyond us?

Apply poor investigative standards of the religion to science? What?

Religion is science. The sooner you figure that out, the more efficient science will be.

Your right, great efforts are made to minimise the influence of bias other than that of science based logic. Science is just as dogmatic as the Pope.

Of course.

It's ineffective for people who just expect "God" to perform for them, instead of them solving and attempting an issue themselves.

Wishy washy nonesense? I assure you that there is people out there who think differently than you, and have their own ways of explaining everything.

Your right, human fabricated numbers and theories are way less imaginative than a God who doesn't exist as an entity and without supernatural powers.

People use the scientific method to figure out what?

It's insulting to understand human psychology?

Good thing I'm not religious.

But again, skeptics don't see religion as generally ridiculous, narrow minded people do. People who are curious about something generally tend to care to understand it more, rather than to excuse it as utter nonesense.

You can take the label of "skeptic" upon you, but that is just a facade. Atheism isn't "nuetral" skepticism, it's predenial.

If you're just going to resort to special pleading, insults and nonsense claims then there is little point in continuing.

Orias

Left Hand Path
In the same way that pink bunnies play basketball. You know, in the "not at all" way. :facepalm:

Do you need the definition of science?

The purpose of religion matches this perfectly.

Well, except when it's a rational conclusion resulting from skepticism - like most of the time.

People only seem to do that when they know a little about what they take unto themselves then.

If you're just going to resort to special pleading, insults and nonsense claims then there is little point in continuing.

Your right, if your not going to direct my points like a mature person then there is no point in continuing.

Special pleading? Insults? I haven't done any of these, they just sound like poor excuses for someone who can justify their position.

If you feel this is incorrect, then actually read my posts and answer my questions instead of assuming that I am insulting you.

Commoner

Headache

The purpose of religion is to "build and organize knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the world"? I think not.

nonbeliever_92

Oh really?

sci·ence

   /ˈsaɪ
thinsp.png
əns/
Show Spelled[sahy-uh
thinsp.png
ns]
Show IPA
–noun 1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

4. systematized knowledge in general.

5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

6. a particular branch of knowledge.

7. skill, especially reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

science (ˈsaɪəns) — n 1. the systematic study of the nature and behaviour of the material and physical universe, based on observation, experiment, and measurement, and the formulation of laws to describe these facts in general terms 2. the knowledge so obtained or the practice of obtaining it 3. any particular branch of this knowledge: the pure and applied sciences 4. any body of knowledge organized in a systematic manner 5. skill or technique 6. archaic knowledge [C14: via Old French from Latin scientia knowledge, from scīre to know]

Now which one does religion fall under again?

Last edited:

nonbeliever_92

For good measure:

re·li·gion

   http://app.dictionary.com/signup/po...=Science definition&__utmv=-&__utmk=255710984/rɪˈlɪdʒ
thinsp.png
ən
/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uh
thinsp.png
n] Show IPA
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic . religious rites.

8. Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

—Idiom 9. get religion, Informal . a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

Ubjon

Oh yes you have

Special pleading - "Though, unicorns and fairies were meant to exist as separate fantastical entites, God can exist without being considered "supernatural" and an "entity", yet a certain faith is still required to consume this thought, and many (not all) people are not able to fathom something greater than themselves"

God is a supernatural entity and it cannot be exempt from being treated as any other supernatural entity because its inconvenient. To expect otherwise is special pleading and as you've rightly pointed out this isn't a good thing to do.

Insults -
"But again, skeptics don't see religion as generally ridiculous, narrow minded people do" and "many (not all) people are not able to fathom something greater than themselves"

You've unfairly labelled myself and those who hold a similar position to mine as narrow minded and small minded because our skepticism of religious claims and beilefs. You are unable to differentiate between skepticism and narrow-mindedness. To be skeptical is to question claims, to be narrow minded is to refuse to consider anything but that which you already believe. Clearly I'm willing to question religious claims rather than flat out ignore them. I take offence at the accusation that I'm incapable of understanding anything greater than myself, moreso because you're applied that accusation in response to my unwillngness to embrace nonsense claims which I understand but find greately implausable.

Nonesense -
"So then what leads you to think that theories are any more factual based than the existence of something beyond us?"

Why do you think that scientific theories are more factual than supernatural claims? If you have a basic understanding of science then you would be able to answer the question yourself. The reason is that science tests itself again real results collected under controlled conditions to verify its claims. Supernatural claims just assume the are right.

Ben Masada

Once Mark Twain was asked for an evidence of God. He answered and sad: The Jews. Now, you figure what he meant by that.