• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What godless means

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

I need to define what godless means first :) :
godless means to believe in nothing. To believe life is meaningless. That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.
Many atheists believe in something, which can be wisdom, art, creativity, fairness, cooperation, knowledge, justice, peace.
They pursue these things, and their life is filled with meaning.

But godlessness is the rejection of all the positive values theists associate with deities. And trust me, there are theists who are godless, because they think religion is just a cultural figment.

So godless doesn't mean necessarily atheist.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Huh. If the word "meaningless" already exists, why do we need to insert god into it? What are some examples of someone who is leading a godless/meaningless life? Is there a society we can point to that would exhibit this behavior as a whole?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
godless means to believe in nothing

Nope godless means to not have a god, nothing more, nothing less

To believe life is meaningless.

Bullpoop

That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.

Again bullpoop

Many atheists believe in something

Ya don't say

But godlessness is the rejection of all the positive values theists associate with deities.

What positive values?
What about the negative values?

Actually it does by definition

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nope godless means to not have a god, nothing more, nothing less

Bullpoop

Again bullpoop

Ya don't say

What positive values?
What about the negative values?

Actually it does by definition
@Soandso

Read this
The godless person is not a person who has no god, for everyone has gods, including the atheist. A god is simply that which a person elevates to the position of greatest importance and significance. For some people this is the One True God or some pagan god, and for others it may be family, wealth, prestige, scientific materialism, or personal autonomy. Everyone has gods, even the godless, but only believers in Christ know and revere the One True God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Source What does it mean to be godless? | GotQuestions.org

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To believe life is meaningless.

That's actually nihilism.

That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.

Sounds more like Social Darwinism - which I only believe in in a very limited Capitalist system sense, and also, is a hotly contested theory (even among atheists)

Many atheists believe in something, which can be wisdom, art, creativity, fairness, cooperation, knowledge, justice, peace.

But they don't tend to Godify it, either.

Depends. Meaning is more of a philosophical thing (in my opinion).

Sounds a bit confusing.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@Soandso

Read this
The godless person is not a person who has no god, for everyone has gods, including the atheist. A god is simply that which a person elevates to the position of greatest importance and significance. For some people this is the One True God or some pagan god, and for others it may be family, wealth, prestige, scientific materialism, or personal autonomy. Everyone has gods, even the godless, but only believers in Christ know and revere the One True God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

The description is pretty inaccurate.

danieldemol

Premium Member

godless means to believe in nothing. To believe life is meaningless. That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.

But godlessness is the rejection of all the positive values theists associate with deities. And trust me, there are theists who are godless, because they think religion is just a cultural figment.

If I told you I'm going to redefine theism as nihilism and social Darwinism wouldn't you suspect I was attempting to undermine the character of theism by false attribution of characteristics it doesn't necessarily have?

Why does it change because the subject of the character attack is godlessness?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
And trust me, there are theists who are godless, because they think religion is just a cultural figment.

I've encountered such people in Hinduism to some certain extent. They're actually called Hindu atheists, I think.

I'll actually agree with you that in a Christian sense, it might get confusing, as using a term like "Christian atheist" might confuse a bunch of people.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

@Soandso

Read this

In this thread, you both devalue the term "god" for theists and force the term "god" down atheists' throats. I see nothing productive in defining "godless" is such a fashion.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've encountered such people in Hinduism to some certain extent. They're actually called Hindu atheists, I think.

I'll actually agree with you that in a Christian sense, it might get confusing, as using a term like "Christian atheist" might confuse a bunch of people.

The term I'm actually looking for here, would be "Cultural Christian":

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In this thread, you both devalue the term "god" for theists and force the term "god" down atheists' throats. I see nothing productive in defining "godless" is such a fashion.
It's not my fault. It's theists' fault, it's them who devalue it.
In politics there are lots of theists who proclaim themselves believers of God, and then they lie, cheat, defraud the American people.
That's what godlessness is.
You can believe in the existence of a God, but your life can be completely devoid of Godliness.
Does that make sense? :)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
In politics there are lots of theists who proclaim themselves believers of God, and then they lie, cheat, defraud the American people.
You can believe in the existence of a God, but your life can be completely devoid of Godliness.
Yes. But in this context, there is no correlation to atheism.

This just describes people who believe in God, but choose to serve the ego instead.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
But guess what........

They're not godless.