• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What godless means

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Are there any deities that promote negative values?
Probably not. Deities by their very nature tend to promote something constructive for their intended audience. What does this have to do with a godless society (which probably doesn't exist)?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So, someone professing faith in God who misbehaves is godless? And someone who lacks faith or belief in any god can some how have a god?

Makes no sense.
It depends on the sin. Not all sins are equal.
There are insignificant sins and there are sins which imply the death of thousands of people.
Too many people have an enormous volition that they use to cause incredible harm. Because they are selfish, greedy, ruthless.

Unruly evil is within their soul. And these people exist. And they rule entire nations.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I did underline many times atheism is not godlessness. :)
You also qualified that with "necessarily."

Also, your linked article in post #13 above states that mundane qualities are "gods."

"The godless person is not a person who has no god, for everyone has gods, including the atheist. A god is simply that which a person elevates to the position of greatest importance and significance. For some people this is the One True God or some pagan god, and for others it may be family, wealth, prestige, scientific materialism, or personal autonomy. Everyone has gods, even the godless, but only believers in Christ know and revere the One True God as He has revealed Himself in Scripture—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."​

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
There are insignificant sins and there are sins which imply the death of thousands of people.
Too many people have an enormous volition that they use to cause incredible harm. Because they are selfish, greedy, ruthless.

Unruly evil is within their soul. And these people exist. And they rule entire nations.
And most of them have a high regard for a god. i.e They are not either godless nor are they perfectly righteous in accordance with their individual faiths.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Sin is a Christian concept. I'd say that atheists have their own paradigm outside of Christianity, despite many being just as moral themselves.

wellwisher

I need to define what godless means first :) :
godless means to believe in nothing. To believe life is meaningless. That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.
Many atheists believe in something, which can be wisdom, art, creativity, fairness, cooperation, knowledge, justice, peace.
They pursue these things, and their life is filled with meaning.

But godlessness is the rejection of all the positive values theists associate with deities. And trust me, there are theists who are godless, because they think religion is just a cultural figment.

So godless doesn't mean necessarily atheist.
Belief in God places a conscious entity/ power above humans, towards which one tries to strive and reach; the hard to get brass ring.

When there is no God, the bar is lowered, with some humans placing themself as little gods; dictators. who get to decide life and death, for all.

Manmade global warming is a sign of a godless state of humans, since it place manmade even above the natural earth. It assumes man is so powerful he can change the earth.

Transgender is another example. It is part of a godless world, since this is based on technology advancements, by man and not natural evolution. One is not born this way at birth; DNA. It requires a lot of man made effort to finger with tech and meds, altering nature in his own image.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And most of them have a high regard for a god. i.e They are not either godless nor are they perfectly righteous in accordance with their individual faiths.
If there are deities that condone or approve of horrific crimes, they are devilish deities. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Belief in God places a conscious entity/ power above humans, towards which one tries to strive and reach; the hard to get brass ring.

When there is no God, the bar is lowered, with some humans placing themself as little gods; dictators. who get to decide life and death, for all.

Manmade global warming is a sign of a godless state of humans, since it place manmade even above the natural earth. It assumes man is so powerful he can change the earth.

Transgender is another example. It is part of a godless world, since this is based on technology advancements, by man and not natural evolution. One is not born this way at birth; DNA. It requires a lot of man made effort to finger with tech and meds, altering nature in his own image.

I was taught that the harm done onto others is infinitely more grave than the sin that might be done on oneself.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I'd rather put the focus on love of humanity rather than on God.

That happens politically regardless of the religious beliefs of the politician.

That heat wave was really bad this year. It has me worried about things.

Transgenderism also exists in the animal kingdom. Such as with some lions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I need to define what godless means first :) :
godless means to believe in nothing. To believe life is meaningless. That this life is just pleasure, instinct, and that the fittest shall prevail.
Many atheists believe in something, which can be wisdom, art, creativity, fairness, cooperation, knowledge, justice, peace.
They pursue these things, and their life is filled with meaning.

But godlessness is the rejection of all the positive values theists associate with deities. And trust me, there are theists who are godless, because they think religion is just a cultural figment.

So godless doesn't mean necessarily atheist.
Is that even hypothetically possible?

I doubt it.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
A god is simply that which a person elevates to the position of greatest importance and significance.

Not really. A god is a straight forward concept of a type of super or supernatural entity - usually tied to religion or mythology. If someone refers to anything as a god, the word loses it's meaning and it becomes meaningless. Let's stop trying to make fetch happen

Everyone has gods, even the godless

Why do some religious people feel the need to insert their world views over others and what they actually say for themselves? Let people speak for themselves. If they are godless, it's because they don't worship any gods. Simple