• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What happens to us when we die?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Are there clues in the Bible? for example, Adam...........

God created Adam
Welcome to Holy Bible the site dedicated to God's word. check out the Online KJV (King James Version) bible and a search.
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
God tells Adam what is his fate, having disobeyed God.
Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
Adam was created out of dust; and he returns to dust. Is that it? Is there more to death?

Further consideration.........

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun.
9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

How about Lazarus?
John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.

11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

J11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

11:38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

11:39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

11:40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

11:42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

11:43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

11:44 And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Would there be anything left of these people who had "gone to dust"?, (apart from the dust?)​

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" - John 11:25-26

"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:14-16

Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. - 2 Corinthians 5:8

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

>What happens when we die?

The Baha'i scriptures describe the Next Life like this:

“Thou hast asked Me whether man, as apart from the Prophets of God and His chosen ones, will retain, after his physical death, the self-same individuality, personality, consciousness, and understanding that characterize his life in this world. If this should be the case, how is it, thou hast observed, that whereas such slight injuries to his mental faculties as fainting and severe illness deprive him of his understanding and consciousness, his death, which must involve the decomposition of his body and the dissolution of its elements, is powerless to destroy that understanding and extinguish that consciousness? How can any one imagine that man's consciousness and personality will be maintained, when the very instruments necessary to their existence and function will have completely disintegrated?

“Know thou that the soul of man is exalted above, and is independent of all infirmities of body or mind. That a sick person showeth signs of weakness is due to the hindrances that interpose themselves between his soul and his body, for the soul itself remaineth unaffected by any bodily ailments. Consider the light of the lamp. Though an external object may interfere with its radiance, the light itself continueth to shine with undiminished power. In like manner, every malady afflicting the body of man is an impediment that preventeth the soul from manifesting its inherent might and power. When it leaveth the body, however, it will evince such ascendancy, and reveal such influence as no force on earth can equal. Every pure, every refined and sanctified soul will be endowed with tremendous power, and shall rejoice with exceeding gladness.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, pp. 153-154)

“And now concerning thy question whether human souls continue to be conscious one of another after their separation from the body. Know thou that the souls of the people of Baha, who have entered and been established within the Crimson Ark, shall associate and commune intimately one with another, and shall be so closely associated in their lives, their aspirations, their aims and strivings as to be even as one soul. They are indeed the ones who are well-informed, who are keen-sighted, and who are endued with understanding. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

“The people of Baha, who are the inmates of the Ark of God, are, one and all, well aware of one another's state and condition, and are united in the bonds of intimacy and fellowship. Such a state, however, must depend upon their faith and their conduct. They that are of the same grade and station are fully aware of one another's capacity, character, accomplishments and merits. They that are of a lower grade, however, are incapable of comprehending adequately the station, or of estimating the merits, of those that rank above them. Each shall receive his share from thy Lord. Blessed is the man that hath turned his face towards God, and walked steadfastly in His love, until his soul hath winged its flight unto God, the Sovereign Lord of all, the Most Powerful, the Ever-Forgiving, the All-Merciful.

“The souls of the infidels, however, shall -- and to this I bear witness -- when breathing their last be made aware of the good things that have escaped them, and shall bemoan their plight, and shall humble themselves before God. They shall continue doing so after the separation of their souls from their bodies.

“It is clear and evident that all men shall, after their physical death, estimate the worth of their deeds, and realize all that their hands have wrought.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Ibid., pp. 169-171)

“And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station. The honor with which the Hand of Mercy will invest the soul is such as no tongue can adequately reveal, nor any other earthly agency describe. Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds. If any man be told that which hath been ordained for such a soul in the worlds of God, the Lord of the throne on high and of earth below, his whole being will instantly blaze out in his great longing to attain that most exalted, that sanctified and resplendent station.... The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High.”

-- (Baha'u'llah, Ibid., pp. 155-157)

Best! :)

Bruce

Mr Cheese

There is no such thing as death...

there is only life.

In the name of the Great Life!
I worship Life and I praise my lord
Manda-d-Hiia and that great Presence of Glory
[SIZE=+0]Which emanated from Itself.[/SIZE]

slave2six

Substitious
What happens when we die? Well, most people simply get embalmed and take up real-estate thus denying bugs and beasts a decent meal, circumventing the natural order of decay and wasting perfectly good space.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I believe in a form of reincarnation. However, I don't believe that what goes on would be recognizable as "us." I believe that the personality is intimately tied to the brain, and dies with it.

Arkwort

Eternal Dreamer
What happens when we die?

Our consciousness gets transferred to a 'man-made virtual body' in a 'man-made virtual world' thanks to the progress of science and the ability of future scientists to manipulate time.

So when you die and you see a tunnel, and you go down the tunnel and meet long lost relatives, one of the first questions you should ask is, "Is this afterlife created by God or future scientists?"

Arkwort :D

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What happens when we die? Well, most people simply get embalmed and take up real-estate thus denying bugs and beasts a decent meal, circumventing the natural order of decay and wasting perfectly good space.

Which is why I have made my wishes known.
No embalming or "viewing' (That old carcass is gonna stink)
Cotton, canvas bag in a shallow grave at one of the new "natural" burial sites.(Tree planted over grave instead of marker)

That and lots of beer for the wake! Have a good time and say what you want about me, I won't be there to disagree.:D

As for an afterlife? I have no idea,:shrug: and that does not bother me at all.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Which is why I have made my wishes known.
No embalming or "viewing' (That old carcass is gonna stink)
Cotton, canvas bag in a shallow grave at one of the new "natural" burial sites.(Tree planted over grave instead of marker)
Yeah, my dad wants a green burial, too. I'd like to plant a tree as a gravemarker. I want to go the cremation route, and have my ashes kept. Not in one of those God-awful, tacky urns, though. A simple wooden box will do me fine. A LifeGem would be kinda cool, but that's a bit pricey. Also, we both want to be harvested first. Every usable part goes to help someone.

slave2six

Substitious
That and lots of beer for the wake!
I read a good article some time back about a lady who had a wake for her husband when he died at the age of 80. When she hit 90, she threw a wake for herself. She said the last one was so much fun and she wanted to hear all the eulogies herself. Classic!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend michel,

Hahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess, need to die first to report back.

BUT, is there anything as death?
Energy is what everything is made off; which is never created nor destroyed then how can there be anything called DEATH?
There can be transformation of energy which is labelled as *death*
Love & rgds

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

God created Adam (Genesis)

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
God tells Adam what is his fate, having disobeyed God."
"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

Adam was created out of dust; and he returns to dust. Is that it? Is there more to death?

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun."
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
"His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." Ecclesiastes 9:5,6, 10

How about Lazarus? John 11
"These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go."

Would there be anything left of these people who had "gone to dust"?, (apart from the dust?)

Good post Michel. :clap

This topic is what brought me to the Bible in the first place. When my Dad died suddenly from a heart attack, some years ago, I wanted to know where he had gone.
He had promised my Mom that he would come back if he could, to let her know that he was OK. He never did. It was all those scriptures that you quoted here that confirmed to me that the dead are actually just sleeping. They haven't gone anywhere. There is no part of man that continues on after death. God told Adam that he would die if he ate the fruit. It was the devil who said he wouldn't. Which one told the truth? There is no mention of an afterlife of any description for Adam and Eve...not even hell! (And who deserved to go there more than they did?...if there was such a place.) :slap: They just went back where they came from. Life was a gift from God and he had the right to place conditions upon it. They did not fulfill the conditions, therefore they forfeited the gift. They knew the penalty all along.

There is more evidence for those who 'sleep' in the grave than there is for an 'immortal soul' that cannot die. The Bible does hold out a promise of immortal life in heaven for a "chosen" few. But these were to be 'Kings and Priests to rule with Christ'. (Revelation 20:6) The majority of humans will live on earth, governed by this ruling body. (God's Kingdom)
For all those who say that their loved ones contacted them after death....ask yourself why God forbids us to inquire of the dead? (Deut 18:10-12, called "necromancy" here in ASV) Who wants us to believe that the dead aren't really dead? The demons have been around since the beginning and know everything about everyone. It is not hard for them to impersonate the dead because they know things that only our dead loved ones would know. It's a con designed to perpetuate the first lie.

When we say of the dead, "rest in peace" that's what it really means. :yes:

Cheers, Deeje

Jeremiah

"What happens to us when we die?"

We move from the world of the living to the hearts and minds of those closest to us. To be there, within, until they follow along. Moving from death to death like ripples in a pond. And though our names and faces may be lost our goodness or badness persist on. So if you love those that will remember you make sure it is that love that you leave with them. So that they may take that gift of love and pass it on.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I SENSE that we are eternal BEing.

I also think that it makes sense,
that we are able to continually "define" our Selves.
I LIKE the idea that we are defining and creating an eternal Self,
and that we may "Save" the positive results of our incarnations and experiences,
and bring them permanently into our BEing and persona,
whatever our next state of BEing, might be. :D

So I go with that.
It gives my present day efforts a deeper "reach" internally, as well,
which I like.
It also does away with the notion that my hard wrought but incomplete efforts
have been a futile endeavor.
I like the idea that I can carry them on with/in my eternal BEing.
This attitude actually helps me to accell personally Now, as I am.

I also like to believe that as I "BE", I Live.
(of course this could all be a "lie". ;) )
But it suits me well. :flirt: So I wear it with style. :rainbow1:

Last edited:

Jeremiah

God created Adam (Genesis)

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
God tells Adam what is his fate, having disobeyed God."
"In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun."
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
"His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." Ecclesiastes 9:5,6, 10

How about Lazarus? John 11
"These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go."

Would there be anything left of these people who had "gone to dust"?, (apart from the dust?)

Good post Michel. :clap

This topic is what brought me to the Bible in the first place. When my Dad died suddenly from a heart attack, some years ago, I wanted to know where he had gone.
He had promised my Mom that he would come back if he could, to let her know that he was OK. He never did. It was all those scriptures that you quoted here that confirmed to me that the dead are actually just sleeping. They haven't gone anywhere. There is no part of man that continues on after death. God told Adam that he would die if he ate the fruit. It was the devil who said he wouldn't. Which one told the truth? There is no mention of an afterlife of any description for Adam and Eve...not even hell! (And who deserved to go there more than they did?...if there was such a place.) :slap: They just went back where they came from. Life was a gift from God and he had the right to place conditions upon it. They did not fulfill the conditions, therefore they forfeited the gift. They knew the penalty all along.

There is more evidence for those who 'sleep' in the grave than there is for an 'immortal soul' that cannot die. The Bible does hold out a promise of immortal life in heaven for a "chosen" few. But these were to be 'Kings and Priests to rule with Christ'. (Revelation 20:6) The majority of humans will live on earth, governed by this ruling body. (God's Kingdom)
For all those who say that their loved ones contacted them after death....ask yourself why God forbids us to inquire of the dead? (Deut 18:10-12, called "necromancy" here in ASV) Who wants us to believe that the dead aren't really dead? The demons have been around since the beginning and know everything about everyone. It is not hard for them to impersonate the dead because they know things that only our dead loved ones would know. It's a con designed to perpetuate the first lie.

When we say of the dead, "rest in peace" that's what it really means. :yes:

Cheers, Deeje

Well then, I guess there really is no need to believe in "God" or follow the path of that god. An absolute death nullifies any need to believe or follow.

Last edited: