• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what happens?

Toblerone2

If only God would answer this one simple question, we wouldnt need religion at all.

We'd all just say to one another, see ya there!

I'd like to come back as a dog. Or a hamster. : hamster :

Random

Toblerone2 said:
If only God would answer this one simple question, we wouldnt need religion at all. We'd all just say to one another, see ya there! I'd like to come back as a dog. Or a hamster.

Perhaps there is no external God to answer the question, but rather we are freely empowered to discover this process and its workings by means of Enlighenment diligently or spontaneously attained. I think the answers are all inside. I do, however, believe that if consciouness is measurably Quantum in character as science will soon discover, then our psyches would not "fit" that of a dog or a hampster. Therefore, having once lived as a sentient sapient being of any kind, but most especaially Human, one cannot be reincarnate as an animal, IMO.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
darkpenguin said:
what happens to non-believers when they die from your/your religions point of view?
Because I am inbetween religions at the moment......I'm going to say my interim religion, Chimpophilism, believes the faithful get to have the biggest party ever thrown and the non believers have to stay on earth and wax cars. Tis only fair you see.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Because I am inbetween religions at the moment......I'm going to say my interim religion, Chimpophilism, believes the faithful get to have the biggest party ever thrown and the non believers have to stay on earth and wax cars. Tis only fair you see.

Will there be plenty of bananas for all? :monkey:

But seriously, here's one passage from my religion's writings that may address your question:

"Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty."

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 155)

What doesn't show up in the Writings is the idea that if you don't have the right religious label, you'll fry for eternity.

Zephyr

Moved on
Eh, they die, they go with their ancestors, assuming they were decent people. There's plenty of space in Hel for us all. Anybody up for smoothies?

BruceDLimber

Hi!

>what happens to non-believers when they die from your/your religions point of view?

In In the Bahai' view, everyone is judged according to his/her faith and works, but the result is in fact largely self-imposed.

Heaven is spiritual nearness to God; hell spiritual separation.

And whether one has or has not nurtured oneself by acquiring spiritual virtues (and then acted accordingly) will determine one's status in the Next Life, regardless of what religion one espouses.

Those who have grown spiritually will experience nearness to God; those who have not, relative separation--and these are indeed the definitions of Heaven and hell.

That said, no one will have to remain in hell eternally because God, through His Love and Mercy, will eventually aid them to grow and draw closer to Him, so that their station will ultimately also be close to God.

All the best, :)

Bruce

Smoke

Done here.
I tend to agree with the author of Ecclesiastes:
All things come alike to all:
there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked;
to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean;
to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not:
as is the good, so is the sinner;
and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath. ...

For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
For the living know that they shall die:
but the dead know not any thing,
neither have they any more a reward;
for the memory of them is forgotten. ...

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;
for there is no work, nor device,
nor knowledge, nor wisdom,
in the grave, whither thou goest.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
darkpenguin said:
what happens to non-believers when they die from your/your religions point of view?
Now that all depends on the life they live. I believe in something similiar to karma. Your religion (or lack-thereof) has little bearing on the afterlife. Its your actions and thoughts that count the most. Assuming someone is a real omni-jerk, they will reincarnate in Hell for a lifetime (Hell is kinda like New-Jersey). Assuming that person continues to be uber-lame, they will keep popping up in Hell over and over agian until it dawns on them to earn some good karma. At that point they could reincarnate back on Earth, or, assuming they where really sparkly good, ascend directly into Heaven.*

*I was attempting to be funny. :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
darkpenguin said:
The same thing that happens to believers: their conscious life ends and, along with it, their self identity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Revasser said:
They rot in the ground/go up in flames/get cryonically stored/mashed up for McDonald's burgers like everyone else. :p
McDonald's burgers are soylent green! :eek: