• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have We Got For the One Half Trillion Dollars Spent On Iraq?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
According to a radio report I just heard, the cost of the Iraq war to date is about to reach one half trillion dollars.

What do you think we've gotten in exchange for that half trillion dollars? Are we more secure today than when we went into Iraq? Have we gotten something else out of this? IF so, what?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
According to a radio report I just heard, the cost of the Iraq war to date is about to reach one half trillion dollars.

What do you think we've gotten in exchange for that half trillion dollars? Are we more secure today than when we went into Iraq? Have we gotten something else out of this? IF so, what?

Are we more secure today than when we went into Iraq?
Less so, I would guess; it's like we have disturbed a nest of vipers.

Have we gotten something else out of this? IF so, what?

A bad reputation ? Conspiracy theories, a distrust of soldier's behaviour towards prisoners..................

Not a very good deal; think what that money could have been spent on.

A

angellous_evangellous

I wonder if wasting all this money and resources will weaken us in the face of a more realistic threat.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
A half trillion dollars has bought us nearly 3,000 coalition deaths and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths.

A half trillion dollars has bought us more terrorists than we had 4 years ago.

A half trillion dollars spent in Iraq and bought us really crappy international relations.

A half trillion dollars has basically bought us jail time for Sadaam.

PureX

Veteran Member
I wonder where that half trillion dollars went, exactly. I mean, someone has it. I bet the folks who got that money are voting for Bush, and the republicans. Do you think that spending all that money maybe had something to do with BUYING enough votes and corporate influence to stay in power here in the U.S.?

Does anyone know how much of that half trillion Halliburton has gotten so far? Certinainly they've gotten hundreds of millions of it. And add to the Halliburton-Iraq bill, their rebuilding New Orleans bill, too. I wonder how many hundreds of millions they've gotten from that? It seems like a lot of these American disasters turn out to be a real windfall for Halliburton and other republican supporters.

So I guess it depends on who the "we" is in the question; "what did we get for the half trillion dollars we spent?".

A

angellous_evangellous

Sunstone said:
Does anyone think we've come out ahead on this war?

The Bush administration these days seems comparable to the Iraqi interior ministry's announcements that they were winning the war... I recall seeing a senior Iraqi official saying that their victory was immanent when American bombs were falling closeby. Americans were 50 miles or less from Bagdad...

Now we have continual announcements from the Bush administration that we've come far in the war on terror. The costs have been unimaginable, and the world hates us even more. We've spent all of our diplomatic capital on an enemy that wasn't even a worthy threat.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Terrorism is a ghost and Bush won't be able to eliminate it unless he start thinking (Oh, i don't think he can do so) about the root of terrorism but not the outcome of it.

He was trying to convience his nation that the terrorists hate their freedom and i wonder if many would believe such a thing if they really know anything about the world around them. Maybe this is the case in the american movies when they rise the flag at the end and every body keep staring at it, but in reality, it's not.

It's much more complicated than that.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
PureX said:
I wonder where that half trillion dollars went, exactly. I mean, someone has it. I bet the folks who got that money are voting for Bush, and the republicans. Do you think that spending all that money maybe had something to do with BUYING enough votes and corporate influence to stay in power here in the U.S.?

Does anyone know how much of that half trillion Halliburton has gotten so far? Certinainly they've gotten hundreds of millions of it. And add to the Halliburton-Iraq bill, their rebuilding New Orleans bill, too. I wonder how many hundreds of millions they've gotten from that? It seems like a lot of these American disasters turn out to be a real windfall for Halliburton and other republican supporters.

So I guess it depends on who the "we" is in the question; "what did we get for the half trillion dollars we spent?".
Excellent, excellent points. :yes:

Tie that to other posts here and what we're looking at it is:

A balooning national debt that we will be paying off for generations

3,000 coalition deaths and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths.

A greater threat of terrorism against us and increased animosity against us in general.

Less credibility and less resources to respond to other real threats when they arise.

And Bush's friends have made hundreds of millions of dollars off of this. Even if Iraq was an honest mistake on the administration's part - let's say they really believed that there were weapons of mass destruction aimed at us there - it doesn't take a genius to know that it's unethical for your friends to profit from the decisions that you make as president. They've raped us. There is no other way to put it.

nutshell

Sunstone said:

A headache.

Ciscokid

Sunstone said:

Our military has certainly got some combat experience from all of this. The price tag is a wee bit high however...both in terms of dollars and unfortunately human life.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ciscokid said:
Our military has certainly got some combat experience from all of this.
Yeah, but they didn't need the combat experience. According to several now retired generals, the military was against this because they knew they couldn't win a war of public relations while also fighting a real war. The people who needed "experience" were the guys in the white house, many of whom have never seen combat. I'm sure it all looked good on paper to them. :mad:

Ciscokid said:
The price tag is a wee bit high however...both in terms of dollars and unfortunately human life.
Yeah. :(

greatcalgarian

Let us be positive:
(1) At least US has the opportunity to try out various type of new weapons
(2) The military spending means it will stimulate economic activities at home
(3) US has helped those Iraqi exiles during Sadam time to return home and hence has recruited many 'friends' there.
(4) US has complete control on the oil in Iraq.
I think number (4) is the factor that we do not know how much benefit will that bring to the US.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:

Another day older, and deeper in debt...

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Sunstone said:

We got to learn the Saddam looks pretty sharp in his suit.
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2005-12/21074001.jpg