• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have You Learned From Religion?

dave_

I've learned that you either believe in god or you go to hell for eternity.What have you learned?

Laika

Premium Member
1. Having faith in something greater than yourself is a universal human requirement to make sense of the world, arguably even for atheists.
2. Never under-estimate the human capacity for good or evil; we all have the divine spark, it's just how we use it.
3. Hatred is almost always based on ignorance.
4. No answer is ever absolute; it can only quench our thirst for knowledge.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Geeeeeee....what a choice....burning bush on a mountain....or hell !!
~
My choice is still the memory of what I am to all the others that remember me when I die.
~
You can have your angels, devils, ghosts, trumpets, swords, thrones, and all of your gods.
~
I will persist as what I will be, and no more.
~
'mud

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I've learned that you either believe in god or you go to hell for eternity.What have you learned?

Then your definition of "religion" is rather limited.

Personally, I've learned that one doesn't have to believe in God to be a good person (shocker, right?), and that my faith is but one lens in which to look at the world and universe.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Short summary of the main things I've learned/were reinforced...

To expand my awareness towards all the connected things in my life/world, seen and unseen. To genuinely value, celebrate, honor. Not to feel sorry for myself when slighted, mistreated, unlucky, etc. but to be a man of action. To use effort and intent to produce a better life for myself and those in my circle of influence, the connected things...to the best of my ability, till I pass on.

You don't need my religion to learn, understand, or accept such things but it's a beautiful way to do it and resounds with me down to the bone.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think mysticism has taught me quite a bit about human nature that I would not have so easily gathered on my own, if at all.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I've learnt that religion can be the most delicate instrument imaginable, that through it we have the potential to fine tune our being to resonate with the universe. Sadly, the vulgar and the unimaginative amongst us would pick up this thing of beauty and beat us about the head with it.

I believe that it is a mistake to allow their vulgarity deprive us of our instruments beauty.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
  • Learned that earth is near hell and that people will follow evil things, if they're told it is good; without really questioning it. :confused:
  • That philosophy and parables are not commonly understood as they were meant, and that people seem to have a reading comprehension problem.
  • That oral traditions are often made up, after the original author ascribes something brilliant; with many of the oral traditions over shadowing the origins.
  • That there are many people who suffer from a dogmatic ritualistic belief disorder, and then claim it as a way to reach the divine; when clearly it has nothing to do with it.
  • That if we use the science of mindsight; where if there is a trouble with the brain intercessing information, we can diagnose mental illness from it. Clearly when there are blatant contradictions within texts, that are blatantly overlooked; worried that the earth might be a giant mental asylum.
  • That mankind has muddled up advanced civilizations visiting us and our concepts of God; thus leaving us without clear information.
  • That male sexism and supremacy has been started, and perpetuated by many of the worlds religions.
  • That regardless of how many come along and say otherwise, people will follow what they wanted to follow anyways.
  • That religion doesn't make people good; instead a change of heart in the right direction does.
  • ..... :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
afraid not... I still need to feel rooted in something even if it's as simple as doing good for others. I'd count the human race as "something greater than myself".

Ah! I think I might understand you a bit better now. I too think it's important to value something greater than one's own ego. But I myself think of those things as disciplines of one sort or another. That is, because we value them more than we value our egos, they tend to become ways in which we discipline our egos, in which we keep our egos from running amuck. For instance, if you value a sport more than your own ego, then that sport might keep you grounded in some ways.