• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Have You Learned From Religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've learned that you either believe in god or you go to hell for eternity.What have you learned?

From Christianity I learned about forgiveness and not to judge others.

From a Hindu Guru I learned about meditation, inner peace and inner perceptions.

From Scientology I learned how we manipulate the emotions of each other and how to avoid such manipulations. I learned the importance of looking up definitions. I learned that public media is not the best source of information.

From the Hare Krishna I learned to like their music and food.

From Druidism I learned about the mysticism of atmosphere.

From Wicca I learned that magic was prayer with props.

From Buddhism I learned to observe my thoughts.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From religion in general I have learned that everyone has to find their own truth.

The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.
18 I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath[c]; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the human spirit rises upwardand if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?”

22 So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?

10 Whoever loves money never has enough;
whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.
This too is meaningless.

11 As goods increase,
so do those who consume them.
And what benefit are they to the owners
except to feast their eyes on them?

12 The sleep of a laborer is sweet,
whether they eat little or much,
but as for the rich, their abundance
permits them no sleep.

13 I have seen a grievous evil under the sun:

wealth hoarded to the harm of its owners,
14 or wealth lost through some misfortune,
so that when they have children
there is nothing left for them to inherit.
15 Everyone comes naked from their mother’s womb,
and as everyone comes, so they depart.
They take nothing from their toil
that they can carry in their hands.

16 This too is a grievous evil:

As everyone comes, so they depart,
and what do they gain,
since they toil for the wind?
17 All their days they eat in darkness,
with great frustration, affliction and anger.

Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.

15 In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these:

the righteous perishing in their righteousness,
and the wicked living long in their wickedness.
16 Do not be overrighteous,
neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?
17 Do not be overwicked,
and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

For the living know that they will die,
but the dead know nothing;
they have no further reward,
and even their name is forgotten.
6 Their love, their hate
and their jealousy have long since vanished;
never again will they have a part
in anything that happens under the sun.

11 I have seen something else under the sun:

The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all.

12 Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come:

As fish are caught in a cruel net,
or birds are taken in a snare,
so people are trapped by evil times
that fall unexpectedly upon them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In Catholicism:

I learned the beauty of family. I learned about inner growth with like-believers. I learned the importance of worship and reverence and what it means to have a relationship with someone. I learned how my actions affect people and affect myself in the process. I learned to ask others for help in understanding what I have confusion with. I learned what it means to die in my behaviors so I can live a full life again. I learned about how others see their faith in God and how each person views Jesus differently (even though they may say otherwise). It taught me that anyone who wants to join the Church can regardless of ethnicity and walks in life. I admire that once you are a part of the Church you will always be a part of the Church no matter what.

Conversely, I learned about the history of the Church and how my morals of taking lives conflict heavily with the morals of the Church "you are not Christian unless you are part of the Church." I learned that people actually believe in heaven, hell, and so forth; and, I learned about my views about in in contrast to theirs. I learned about honesty--telling people that although we share the same feelings and thoughts, we disagree on faith.

In Nichiren Buddhism (Shoshu and SGI):

I learned (as with Catholicism) how heavily tradition and culture goes hand in hand with spirituality. I learned that when you chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (I devote myself to the mystic laws of cause and effect [life]) you are literally connecting with other people who are devoting themselves to be the Buddha and live the Buddha and help others do the same. I learned that each person is a Buddha (enlightened) and that all have a Buddha (enlightened)-nature (as opposed to sinful nature-which I disagree with) I learned that when we keep in touch with each other--one family--we bring out our Buddhahood within each other and the reflection of that nature brings out the Buddhahood in others. I learned about the importance of bowing (like genuflecting) and the hierarchy of elders in the Buddhist faith. In SGI I learned a lot about people sticking together to help each other and how their relationship with their mentor helps them be better people.

--
I practice witchcraft--ancestral veneration in particular. I believe religion is practicing your faith. If you believe in something, you should have some type of action that lets you know you are devoted to what you set your life to. I am learning more heavily what it means to know about my family, my relatives, both living and passed, and ancestors. I'm learning how to know my family through the deceased. I'm learning more about what others name "God" through the views of my family. My faith is being shaped by how I build a relationship with family that have passed.

This practice shapes my life. I learn about who I am through religion. Without religion, I don't know where I'd be.

I've learned that you either believe in god or you go to hell for eternity.What have you learned?

outhouse

Atheistically
Most of what I have have learned here has little to do with religion or theology or even mythology. My learning had centered on the people and their behavior.

Fighting fanaticism and fundamentalism is next to impossible.

No matter how credible the evidence is presented, no matter how much patients is used, no matter how much logic and reason given, many theist will not change their mind or opinion.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most of what I have have learned here has little to do with religion or theology or even mythology. My learning had centered on the people and their behavior.

No matter how credible the evidence is presented, no matter how much patients is used, no matter how much logic and reason given, many theist will not change their mind or opinion.
I don't think I'd call it "next to". :p

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear gods, which religions? :sweat:

To speak in the very general:

• That it's a heck of a lot more complicated than my pre-20's self thought and that I'm frankly embarrassed about being a moron who dismissed it as a bunch of superstitious rubbish (yes, believe it or not, I was one of those teenagers, guys)
  • That everyone has one, whether formally named as such or not, as its focus is to deal with the big questions of life and living to create a meaningful human existence
  • That, taken as a whole, the world's religions are at least as complicated as the world's scientific disciplines and would require equally as much time and effort to learn, study, and understand
  • That very little can be said about it beyond some very broad and vague generalizations - and that the important lesson to take from this is perhaps to be specific when speaking of things in general, but especially of religion
  • That it is probably the most poorly understood major facet of human culture - to the point that I would say people's ignorance of religions far outstrips their ignorance of the sciences - in my country (and quite possibly elsewhere)
  • That we really should refer to religions in the plural, just as we really should refer to the sciences in the plural, to make it damned clear how incredibly heterogenous these areas of human culture are
To speak in the more specific of what I learned from my general religious category:
  • Everything I was told about what religion has to be or what gods have to be is wrong. It doesn't actually apply to all religions, but only specific types of religion that happen to be common in my culture. I could make a massive list of things from this alone, ranging from "a religion has to have a sacred text" to "a religion has to have dogma." But I'll specifically list some big ones.
  • Gods can be anything. No, really. Anything can be worthy of worship or deified. This means you get to celebrate what you actually value, instead of being forced to worship a god that you don't connect with.
  • Although we often talk about religions as if they are centered around faith, beliefs, or doctrines, this is not the case for many of the world's religions. Religions can be focused on practices and rituals, rather than these things.
  • Religions are not only allowed to change, but in some, change is encouraged and expected. Further, some religions expect you to figure things out for yourself, not accept the word of someone else.
  • That there exist religions that are not only perfectly compatible with science, but can actually view science as a way of knowing and understanding the gods, as our gods are various aspects of nature/reality
  • Religions need not focus on affairs that are detached from everyday reality, like the creation of the universe or what happens after death. Religions exist that actually focus on celebrating and experiencing the right here and right now
  • If religion in general is poorly understood, anything outside of the classical monotheisms is understood even worse (that is, it's seen through monotheistic lenses). It takes tremendous effort to understand other types of theism, and you literally have to deprogram yourself of that cultural conditioning before you can begin to understand
I could probably keep going forever with this, honestly...

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
1. Having faith in something greater than yourself is a universal human requirement to make sense of the world, arguably even for atheists.
2. Never under-estimate the human capacity for good or evil; we all have the divine spark, it's just how we use it.
3. Hatred is almost always based on ignorance.
4. No answer is ever absolute; it can only quench our thirst for knowledge.
Doesn't number 4 cancel out the other three ;)

Robert.Evans

So do you believe in God? It is not that clear, and your post is so short it could be mistaken for sarcasm. Just wondering.
As for what I'v believed, it would take along time to explain it, but I am sure glad I learnt it, what with the flying lessons n'all ;)

dave_

So do you believe in God? It is not that clear, and your post is so short it could be mistaken for sarcasm. Just wondering.
As for what I'v believed, it would take along time to explain it, but I am sure glad I learnt it, what with the flying lessons n'all ;)

I don't believe in a God but i believe everyone has a Buddha nature which is kinda like a God substitute.

Robert.Evans

In Catholicism:

I learned the beauty of family. I learned about inner growth with like-believers. I learned the importance of worship and reverence and what it means to have a relationship with someone. I learned how my actions affect people and affect myself in the process. I learned to ask others for help in understanding what I have confusion with. I learned what it means to die in my behaviors so I can live a full life again. I learned about how others see their faith in God and how each person views Jesus differently (even though they may say otherwise). It taught me that anyone who wants to join the Church can regardless of ethnicity and walks in life. I admire that once you are a part of the Church you will always be a part of the Church no matter what.

Conversely, I learned about the history of the Church and how my morals of taking lives conflict heavily with the morals of the Church "you are not Christian unless you are part of the Church." I learned that people actually believe in heaven, hell, and so forth; and, I learned about my views about in in contrast to theirs. I learned about honesty--telling people that although we share the same feelings and thoughts, we disagree on faith.

In Nichiren Buddhism (Shoshu and SGI):

I learned (as with Catholicism) how heavily tradition and culture goes hand in hand with spirituality. I learned that when you chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (I devote myself to the mystic laws of cause and effect [life]) you are literally connecting with other people who are devoting themselves to be the Buddha and live the Buddha and help others do the same. I learned that each person is a Buddha (enlightened) and that all have a Buddha (enlightened)-nature (as opposed to sinful nature-which I disagree with) I learned that when we keep in touch with each other--one family--we bring out our Buddhahood within each other and the reflection of that nature brings out the Buddhahood in others. I learned about the importance of bowing (like genuflecting) and the hierarchy of elders in the Buddhist faith. In SGI I learned a lot about people sticking together to help each other and how their relationship with their mentor helps them be better people.

--
I practice witchcraft--ancestral veneration in particular. I believe religion is practicing your faith. If you believe in something, you should have some type of action that lets you know you are devoted to what you set your life to. I am learning more heavily what it means to know about my family, my relatives, both living and passed, and ancestors. I'm learning how to know my family through the deceased. I'm learning more about what others name "God" through the views of my family. My faith is being shaped by how I build a relationship with family that have passed.

This practice shapes my life. I learn about who I am through religion. Without religion, I don't know where I'd be.
Boy oh boy, what did we ask for? Your life story ;)

I liked your post very much :)

Robert.Evans

same with atheist I find ;)

outhouse

Atheistically
same with atheist I find ;)

I can support my position with examples you cannot.

Christianity is evolving and changing in the amounts of mythology it holds as real. 100 years ago most Christians thought the earth was 6000 years old, that there was a global flood, and al animals and people were on a large boat.

Today most Christians do not think this and have thrown the mythology into the reality category.

Atheist generally do not have this problem as they do not have the bias some theist do.