• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What I LOVE about the USA - from non-Americans

apophenia

I love American life from a daily(Nature) standpoint. We have created such beauty,but I'm sad that we no longer create our own durable goods the same way we used to. We have too many slaughterhouses, and our food is being downgraded (junk foods). I was born in 1947. It was easy to tune out politics as a child, but I have to say that the US leaders have more than crossed a line with their Corporate warmongering. So many people have died based on outright lies. I miss "the old days" when crime wasn't so rampant, when people weren't as unhealthy as they are now. Towns are blighted with light and sign pollution, junk food, bad architecture. I think that many Americans are not well educated, and believe a lot of the propaganda thrown their ways.

All true.

Now, what do you really love about American culture ?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I love American life from a daily(Nature) standpoint. We have created such beauty,but I'm sad that we no longer create our own durable goods the same way we used to. We have too many slaughterhouses, and our food is being downgraded (junk foods). I was born in 1947. It was easy to tune out politics as a child, but I have to say that the US leaders have more than crossed a line with their Corporate warmongering. So many people have died based on outright lies. I miss "the old days" when crime wasn't so rampant, when people weren't as unhealthy as they are now. Towns are blighted with light and sign pollution, junk food, bad architecture. I think that many Americans are not well educated, and believe a lot of the propaganda thrown their ways.

Are you sure this isn't a case of perception?. I grew up in the same time period and there has always been "rampant crime" (i.e. crime waves). When, since the industrial revolution, have we ever personally produced our durable goods? We have more stringent rules and FDA inspections of our food and meat production facilities than when you and I played marbles. (BTW it would take about 20 acres per person to be a self sustaining family. Where would this land come from?) "Corporate warmongering"? What is that? People since the beginning of time have died over lies, and they probably always will. Health? Are you overlooking the fact that people were expected to smoke when we were kids? Compare that to now. Light and sign pollution? Ever hear of Lady Bird Johnson and the Beatification of America? The Highway Beatification Act? Ever wonder what happen to all those billboards on the Interstate Highways? Or the Burma Shave signs (I miss those). Sure we will always have room for improvement but we are probably not as bad as some would have us believe. And, trust me, there is not such thing as "the good old days".