• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if evolution was universally rejected?

niceguy

I would assume that some kind of aliens are using earth as some kind of santuary for species. Most likely, we would be a backup world for species of their world. They would then, in case of an extintion got earth for "spare parts" ;)

kerry

rocketman said:

[strictly hypothetical]

I'm not talking about that which has been observed such as natural selection and minor speciation, but rather the evolution of pre-history, the stuff that has been inferred from what has been observed. What if some bizarre new discovery showed us all that large-scale evolution wasn't possible and all the scientists rejected the theory?

Before anyone gets off their high horse and trashes me about wishful thinking, don't bother. I simply want to know what would it mean to you personally and/or for society if it were so. Would it change anything for you? Thoughts, anyone?

We would be in deep s**t.

Booko

Deviled Hen
rocketman said:

[strictly hypothetical]

I'm not talking about that which has been observed such as natural selection and minor speciation, but rather the evolution of pre-history, the stuff that has been inferred from what has been observed. What if some bizarre new discovery showed us all that large-scale evolution wasn't possible and all the scientists rejected the theory?

If that happened, it would likely be because a new improved competing theory came along, in which case the new theory would replace it.

Or, far less likely, we'd find a reason it wasn't possible and start looking for another theory.

It's not like it's a sitation without any precedent in scientific history. There have been a few major paradigm shifts before.

The scientists, after some initial resistance, usually manage to move along.

The problems, if there are any, seem to come more from the laymen.

As for me, I expect I would still put my pants on the same way in the morning.

JerryL

Before anyone gets off their high horse and trashes me about wishful thinking, don't bother. I simply want to know what would it mean to you personally and/or for society if it were so. Would it change anything for you? Thoughts, anyone?
I won't speak for the world: but for me it would mean that I had two very serious questions.

1) What actually did happen?
2) What did we do wrong that we managed to be so wrong in our conclusions?

As a follow up on "2", I would wonder what other established theories are now in doubt.

rocketman

Out there...
JerryL said:
I won't speak for the world: but for me it would mean that I had two very serious questions.

1) What actually did happen?
2) What did we do wrong that we managed to be so wrong in our conclusions?

As a follow up on "2", I would wonder what other established theories are now in doubt.

The most scientifically thoughtful response so far.
Thanks.

Jon

I believe that if the science comunity had a news conference saying evolution didn't happen the way it's taught, they would already have an alternative theory to explain to the press. They would'nt even have 1 day elapse before a new theory was unveiled.