• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if you KNEW there was a God.

Your position that you are using an ad hominem attack? Your words come to mind. But you can look up the fallacy if you would like, or if you don't understand.

You have said all arguments for God do not use logic and reasoning but use imagination.

You have made a conclusion with no premises. You are attacking the subject of all arguments, not the argument.

But let us assume that you simply said, no argument for God's existence is logically sound.

Then at worse you are making a "all swans are white" statement using inductive logic which is impossible to prove. (Sidenote: you really should see Kant on inductive reasoning). But, nonetheless, induction is logic of a sort and certainly reasonable. However, all one needs is one counter example to disprove a statement like this. For that, I will use anslem's ontological argument for God.

However, in a transparent appeal to authority, I would also throw out Plato's first cause argument.

There are your black swan my friend, but you really should revisit your wording and move towards actual argument instead of attack.

So, no evidence then?

Curious George

Veteran Member
So, no evidence then?
No evidence? Lol. I just disproved your entire thesis. Arguments using logic and reasoning have been put forth time and time again throughout history. Saying that these philosophers did not use logic or reasoning is astounding to me. If you think that they did not, you need to brush up on your studies.

Thanda

Thanda said:
Can you (or anyone else you know) verify the existence of the Higgins Boson using your (or their) five senses?

You were the one who asked the second questions which is really the first post that I responded to. The Higgs theory is particle physics and I was merely answering you. You asked for "anyone else you know". I responded. And now you don't want someone to respond>?

One of the posters asked how we could know of a soul if a soul cannot be detected with the five senses. I was replying to this. The fives senses are not all we have at our disposal for knowing something exists.

Often when someone dies in the family who you were very close to you may get a feeling that it has happened. Recently I told my mother my wife was pregnant. Her response was, I know. I asked how she knew and she said she had dreamt of it. She then reminded how she had also dreamt of it when my first child was conceived (she told me then as well even before we knew we were pregnant). How did she know? Certainly it was not by using the five senses.

Thanda

The difference here is the particle physics are measured scientifically and can be replicated. The Bible and its stories cannot be replicated. TO this time, no man has been able to water on water and we have no verifiable evidence that Christ either Trying to compare the BIble to the Higgin Boson is like trying to compare apples to cabbage. It just does not work together at all.

The comparison I was making is simple: Not everything that is real can be verified by the five senses. If you were following my whole conversation from where it started you would have realised this.

No evidence? Lol. I just disproved your entire thesis. Arguments using logic and reasoning have been put forth time and time again throughout history. Saying that these philosophers did not use logic or reasoning is astounding to me. If you think that they did not, you need to brush up on your studies.

Evidence to me is something that can be observed, measured, or physically experienced in some way. If you have a different interpretation of evidence, than, good for you. IMO, if something cannot be demonstrated to actually exist then it exists in the world of make believe. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers but that's just the way I see things. That's the way I'm wired.

Thanda

Here's an important question for your consideration. Why are you searching for God? You already set forth variable that you feel God has: IE God has to be within one of the mainstream religions. Have you looked from a Buddhist POV. Its very liberating and is where I found the spirit of God. Try reading some Thomas Merton..m

I'm searching for God because that is my starting point (historically). I also believe in the Spirit of God but presently I'm inclined to believe that that spirit emanates from a being who is called God. Should God not turn up though, then I may consider the Buddhist position that there is no actual being called God but there is just some sort of consciousness going around. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanda

Still waiting for that evidence.

Which part of "I'm investigating" is confusing to you? Btw, when I do come up with evidence that God exists and what his character is, I don't expect it to convince you. I only expect you to be convinced if you do the experiment yourself as I did it.

I'm searching for God because that is my starting point (historically). I also believe in the Spirit of God but presently I'm inclined to believe that that spirit emanates from a being who is called God. Should God not turn up though, then I may consider the Buddhist position that there is no actual being called God but there is just some sort of consciousness going around. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The very existence of overwhelming injustice and suffering existing in the world negates the existence of a loving and caring god. That is the only logical conclusion to me. How can you believe a caring and loving god exists with all the injustice and suffering in the world?

Which part of "I'm investigating" is confusing to you? Btw, when I do come up with evidence that God exists and what his character is, I don't expect it to convince you. I only expect you to be convinced if you do the experiment yourself as I did it.

Fair enough.

Thanda

The very existence of overwhelming injustice and suffering existing in the world negates the existence of a loving and caring god. That is the only logical conclusion to me. How can you believe a caring and loving god exists with all the injustice and suffering in the world?

He cares and loves us so much he upholds our free will.

Why? If you don't believe people have free will we should feel very sorry for people who have committed crimes no?

They are a danger to law abiding citizens. Every society has expectations of how people should behave towards one another. If someone is dangerous, they should be isolated from the "normal" population. That's how it works.

Thanda

They are a danger to law abiding citizens. Every society has expectations of how people should behave towards one another. If someone is dangerous, they should be isolated from the "normal" population. That's how it works.

Then why give them a sentence of a period of time. If I steal then I'm a thief. Why release me after five years if the goal is to protect society?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Evidence to me is something that can be observed, measured, or physically experienced in some way. If you have a different interpretation of evidence, than, good for you. IMO, if something cannot be demonstrated to actually exist then it exists in the world of make believe. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers but that's just the way I see things. That's the way I'm wired.
Lol. Evidence is anything that can be used to prove the truth or falsity of a proposition. No, you don't ruffle my feathers, I just prefer atheists to use the better arguments.

Hopefully you realize you are begging the question.

Out of curiosity have you a reason for requiring physical evidence? Have you a reason to assume the validity of physical evidence? What physical evidence have you to support such arguments?

Then why give them a sentence of a period of time. If I steal then I'm a thief. Why release me after five years if the goal is to protect society?

Human beings are capable of learning and changing their behaviors. In most circumstances. Circumstances are also a factor. Did you steal to feed your family or just because you are a kleptomaniac?