• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is a nonthiest?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Someone who does not claim to believe in the existence of any God.

Not necessarily an atheist, although the difference may be very small.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A nontheist is an atheist, an agnostic, or anyone else who does not subscribe to the notion that deity exists.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
A non-theist could mean one makes no claims about theism or atheism anyway, but intentionally leaves it blank. Buddha is a good example

gnomon

Literally, it's the same thing as an atheist. One uses the Latin prefix for not and the other the greek prefix for not.

However, in common usage people use nontheist to be a broader term than atheist to include agnostics and pretty much anyone who, get this, lacks a belief in god(s) (an atheist) but do not want to call themselves atheists.

Rainbow Mage

Literally, it's the same thing as an atheist. One uses the Latin prefix for not and the other the greek prefix for not.

However, in common usage people use nontheist to be a broader term than atheist to include agnostics and pretty much anyone who, get this, lacks a belief in god(s) (an atheist) but do not want to call themselves atheists.

No I'm not sure non-theist means atheist. We say Buddha was a non-theist, but he spoke about the devas, and believed they existed, but was agnostic as to their natures or rather they needed worship.

gnomon

No I'm not sure non-theist means atheist. We say Buddha was a non-theist, but he spoke about the devas, and believed they existed, but was agnostic as to their natures or rather they needed worship.

They mean the same thing. Literally. Both prefixes mean not. Both prefixes were used in their culture to mean not. In the English language both terms mean not.

Rainbow Mage

They mean the same thing. Literally. Both prefixes mean not. Both prefixes were used in their culture to mean not. In the English language both terms mean not.

Yes, but when most people say atheist in modern society they mean they believe no gods exist. If a "non-theist" believes gods exist, but say virtually nothing about their natures, and choose not to worship them, how do we separate the two? One believes in deities and one does not.

Rainbow Mage

And in my opinion, just to add my personal view- Buddha may have purposely been agnostic on the surface to make both atheists and theists comfortable approaching his teachings. On a more personal level he may have held beliefs about the devas. Several Mahayana teachings say that when asked about the golden land of the gods, the Buddha affirmed that such afterlife realms do exist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A non-theist could mean one makes no claims about theism or atheism anyway, but intentionally leaves it blank. Buddha is a good example
No, a non-theist is someone who isn't a theist... IOW, someone who doesn't believe in any gods.

This matches up with at least one definition of atheism I know, but some people (mainly the people who choose to call themselves "non-theists" and not "atheists", IMO) disagree with equivocating the terms.

The term non-theism doesn't just cover those who make no claims about theism or atheism; it also includes atheists, most agnostics, and ignostics, as well as people who are apathetic towards god(s).

gnomon

Yes, but when most people say atheist in modern society they mean they believe no gods exist. If a "non-theist" believes gods exist, but say virtually nothing about their natures, and choose not to worship them, how do we separate the two? One believes in deities and one does not.

And in my opinion, just to add my personal view- Buddha may have purposely been agnostic on the surface to make both atheists and theists comfortable approaching his teachings. On a more personal level he may have held beliefs about the devas. Several Mahayana teachings say that when asked about the golden land of the gods, the Buddha affirmed that such afterlife realms do exist.

That's all fine and good but I didn't know Buddha. I've never heard of Buddha calling himself a nontheist. Nor an atheist.

If a non-theist says they believe gods exist then they probably need some help of some sort.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism and nontheism are literally the same thing.

In popular usage, some people refer to atheism as meaning something more specific, but the popular use of the term is not necessarily the correct one in terms of language. Atheism can be implicit or explicit, and agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive descriptions because one of them refers to knowledge and one of them refers to belief in gods.

Jeremiah

i`m curious, what`s a nonthiest?

A non-theist is foul and loathsome creature that delights in ridiculing and tormenting theist. A hateful soulless abomination that suffers from mental retardation and sensory deprivation. An immoral monstrosity that corrupts the innocent and peaceful nature of theists. The very existence of non-theists will cause societies to collapse, war to spread, global starvation and the eventual extinction of humankind.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
A non-theist is foul and lonesome creature that delights in ridiculing and tormenting theist. A hateful soulless abomination that suffers from mental retardation and sensory deprivation. An immoral monstrosity that corrupts the innocent and peaceful nature of theist. The very existence of non-theists will cause societies to collapse, war to spread, global starvation and the eventual extinction of humankind.

Cool. Sign me up.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Anon, theist" is an archaic way of saying goodbye to a theist. :)

And "anon theist" is a theist who's always late.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I have always understood "non-theist" to be a term used by atheists who - for whatever reason - dislike using the term "atheist" to describe themselves. Or a term used by theists to apply to atheists who they feel accommodate them a bit more.

As gnomon was saying earlier, they mean literally the same thing.

But non-theist kind of gives me the impression of a kinder, gentler atheist who "respects" everybody's beliefs (whatever that means) and tries not to "offend" or "oppress" or "judge" anybody.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Someone who does not claim to believe in the existence of any God.

Not necessarily an atheist, although the difference may be very small.
What he said.

The nontheist includes people who prefer to remain mum on the issue, and people who are entirely ignorant of "god".